How do you pick a target weight?

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by GrumbleBum, 5 October 2011 Social URL.

1. GrumbleBum

GrumbleBum Member

Start Weight:
    14st5lb
    Current Weight:
    13st6lb
    Lost(%):
    0st13lb(6.47%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I don't own scales, and don't have a clue what weight looks like, so how do I set a target weight?

Should I be basing it on a clothes size? BMI? or a vague guess of weight's right for me?

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. H*Bomb

H*Bomb Full Member

Start Weight:
    23st12.5lb
    Current Weight:
    21st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    18st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st2.5lb(9.12%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    The simple answer would be go with the weight you should be to be inside a healthy BMI.
    Do you not get weighed at a class?

4. xMandyDx

xMandyDx Determination is Key

Start Weight:
    18st0lb
    Current Weight:
    14st7.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st1lb
    Lost(%):
    3st7lb(19.44%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I checked the chart thing in my body magic booklet, and that's how I picked my target. Although I'm a shorty so I might still need to lose a few pounds when I get to it. I picked 9st as a healthy target.

5. GrumbleBum

GrumbleBum Member

Start Weight:
    14st5lb
    Current Weight:
    13st6lb
    Lost(%):
    0st13lb(6.47%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I do get weighed at class, but my first weigh in was the first time I had EVER been weighed, so I'm not sure what a nice weight looks like.

I was looking at the BMI chart but it befuddled me. Would I want to be in the middle of the 'Normal' section? Or to one side?

6. Funky_Munky

Funky_Munky Put the kettle on

Start Weight:
    10st12lb
    Current Weight:
    10st12lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Thing is you dont have to set a target weight just yet. You can wait to see how you feel once you get closer to your bmi.

7. GrumbleBum

GrumbleBum Member

Start Weight:
    14st5lb
    Current Weight:
    13st6lb
    Lost(%):
    0st13lb(6.47%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Thanks, the group consultant has been at everybody to set a target by next week. I'll just tell her I'm not ready to :)

8. TRIXABC

TRIXABC Banned

Start Weight:
    15st7.5lb
    Current Weight:
    12st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    3st2.5lb(20.46%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    That's the way hun - it's up to you when you are ready not your consultant! I'm going to aim for a BMI of 25 and see how I feel when I get there. Good luck x

9. Maddysmum

Maddysmum Gold Member

Start Weight:
    13st10lb
    Current Weight:
    12st2.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st1lb
    Lost(%):
    1st7.5lb(11.2%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    My consultant tells us NOT to set a target until we're are beginning to feel like we are happy with where we are.
    SW say a target does not have to be within BMI
    The government say my BMI should be between 8 - 10 stone but i know (cause been there before) i'm size 8 - 10 at 10 stone so will prob aim for 10st 5 or 11 stone
    YOU CHOOSE! & choose whens right for you
    xoxo

10. *Emsie*

*Emsie* Gold Member

Diet:
    Slimming World from home
    Does your C want you to set your end targets or interim targets?
    I would say wait and see how you feel and as someone said when you are starting to feel happy with your size/weight/dress size whatever means most to you then set it :)

11. Funky_Munky

Funky_Munky Put the kettle on

Start Weight:
    10st12lb
    Current Weight:
    10st12lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    I think consultants like to think it helps to have something to work towards. You can set yourself an interim target, say another stone or 10% or sonething, but once you get there you can change in. Or you could set something like lose a certain amount by xmas and see where you are.

You dont have to be within the healthy bmi range either, you can set target above it (not below obviously). My target is a couple of pounds out of the healthy bmi range for a midget like me. But Ive been that weight before was happy at it and struggled to maintain it so I dont see the point in trying to go even lower tbh.

At the end of the day do what suits you and if you still have no idea tell the leader you dont want one yet!!!

12. laura4988

laura4988 Full Member

Start Weight:
    15st7lb
    Current Weight:
    14st2.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st7lb
    Lost(%):
    1st4.5lb(8.53%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I read this completely wrong at first n though you said everybody is supposed to be 10 stone! I'm 5,9 so if I was 10 stone there would be nothing left of me!
    I haven't officially set my target yet even though it's on here. It's just a rough guide so I know where I'm kindda aiming for!

13. kerryathome

kerryathome Silver Member

Start Weight:
    13st11lb
    Current Weight:
    10st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    3st1lb(22.28%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I set my target at 11 stone 7 when I started, then I changed it to 11 st 3lb to get me into healthy BMI range, now there's only half a stone to target I'm wondering if I should be going lower because I'm not sure half a stone will get rid of the flab.

Target is a very personal and IMO fluid thing, set it when you're ready, it may help however to set interim small targets so you do have something to aim for, it might only be to lose half a stone or a stone

good luck xx

14. mrs big b

mrs big b Gold Member

Start Weight:
    17st9.5lb
    Current Weight:
    8st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    9st1.5lb(51.52%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    slimming world
    I've set mine only last week after 10 weeks of sw . I set it so it takes my bmi into the healthy range . Will wait and see if I'm happy there otherwise I might change it

15. *EB*

*EB* Gold Member

i think i originally set mine to be 11 stone, but i might see how i look at 12 stone.

I think its so personal to each of us, you may hold weight in different places - as long as you feel healthy and like what you see - the numbers are just there to be spoken.

x

16. ThatBubbs

ThatBubbs Silver Member

Start Weight:
    19st12lb
    Current Weight:
    17st12.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st12lb
    Lost(%):
    1st13.5lb(9.89%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    This is something that concerned me at my first meeting, I was torn between whether to set a realistic target, an ideal target or what. In the end, I decided on a target in my head, but not to make it official until I'm a bit further down the line and know what I'm doing with myself - no rush!

17. sheepy19

sheepy19 Full Member

Start Weight:
    21st7lb
    Current Weight:
    21st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    15st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I havent got a definite target but probaby between 12st 5lbs and 12st 12lbs. I won't quite have a healthy bmi, but I really just want to be a size 14. Which I think I'll reach at around 12st 7lbs :)

18. Avatar

MiniMins.com Advert

19. katoof

katoof Silver Member

Start Weight:
    25st2lb
    Current Weight:
    13st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    11st8lb(46.02%)
    I have no idea of my Target weight yet, but I have a long way to go before I'm.anywhere near a healthy weight.

Sent from my HTC Desire using MiniMins

20. littlemeercat

littlemeercat Full Member

Start Weight:
    16st3lb
    Current Weight:
    10st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st1lb
    Lost(%):
    6st3lb(38.33%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    My consultant has never asked me about setting a target and I'm pleased with that. I know that my initial one is 10 stone because that is in the right weight for my height and should be the right bmi as well. I will then decide whether to lose up to a stone more. Seeing an 8 something on the scales is something I know I don't want to see!

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.