How hard do you find gym classes?

Atomic pink

Gold Member
I have been toying with the idea of joining a gym for about a year now and finally took the plunge this afternoon. Quite excited but also rather scared! Unfortunately I haven't been able to book in for my full health MOT and gym induction for a couple of weeks so have been adviced not to use the gym equipment until then and just use the pool and classes.

I have no idea what to expect from the classes as regard how difficult they are so would really appreciate any feedback from any of you that already go to the gym. I don't *think* I am that unfit anymore - I do regular 9 mile walks/ hikes with OH and do exercise DVDs such as 30 day shred and a couple of Davina ones. The Davina ones are fun but not very challenging any more and 30 day shred is harder but still doable - when I first did it a year or so ago I pretty much had to colapse on the sofa after it but these days I tend to have a glug of water and then tidy the living room or cook dinner straight afterwards. How do they different exercise classes at your gym compare to exercise DVDs in terms of difficulty? Am I going to be a horrendeous sweaty, panting mess at the back of the room??

Thanks in advance for any responses.

I think you would manage most if not all of the classes just fine. I started trying the gym classes at my gym a few months ago weighing 19 stone and although i found some of then hard going i have so far mangaged them all. I was a sweaty mess for the first couple of weeks but manage fine now and i'm still 18 stone.
I had not exercised in a long time, so started off with zumba, then tried spinning, body pump, body step. If i can manage these you definately will. You can always work at your own pace/intensity as well so if you are finding it too much you can just stop for a min or 2, or just put a little less effort in till you recover.
Go for it, i really enjoy the classes having an instructor there is much more motivating than being in the gym alone!! xx

Thanks for that nikki. Its reassuring to know that you can go at your own pace in you need to. In my head I understand that most people who go to the gym do so because they want to get fitter rather than are already fit but somehow in my head I seem to believe that every class is going to be full of olympic athletes!

What are your favourite classes? There is a boxercise class at mine which really appeals and bokwa looks interesting too.

Before I moved back home (and put on the weight) I'd go to aqua classes. After a couple of sessions I'd start admiring myself in the mirror, it really helped me so I am going to get the confidence to start them back up. I liked that no-one could actually see what you were doing. There was no set time or reps as long as you are doing the movements the best you can because you are working against the resistance in the water.
I had an induction on the vibration plate on Friday, my abs are still vibrating now lol.

I have seen the vibro plate in the gym but have to admit I had no idea what it was or what it did! Would you recommend I check it out?

Been going to the gym for a few weeks now and I have been really enjoying it. Doing zumba and body combat classes at the moment, and although body combat is hard (makes me ache like mad the next day) I have been pretty impressed with being able to carry on the whole time and complete all the moves. Overall I haven't found things anywhere near as hard as I thought I might and got to the stage where I feel pretty comfortable there.

I'd recommend you give it a go, saying that I've only been on once. You do all of your stretches, sit ups, press ups etc on it but because it is vibrating it makes your muscles do more work. Say you do 10 sit ups, with the vibration it gives the effect of 25 sit ups.

I'm glad you're enjoying your classes and it isn't as daunting as you expected :)

Back