How important is water?

Kuromi Jenkins

Silver Member
Know water is important for us to function full stop, however does it make any difference to weight loss on the LT diet, or are we advised to drink up to 4 litres to prevent dehydration?

I'm not a big drinker in general, and usually drink Sainsbury's flavoured waters, which (can someone please confirm) I assume I can't have now. I'm making my shakes up with a pint if water to try and up my intake but honestly it's hard work drinking this much water a day when I can't stand the Taste (it has taste, don't tell me otherwise).

Is there something I can do, other than drinking tea or coffee, to make it easier or is it not essential as long as I'm not dehydrated?

Hi, you must drink at least 2ltrs a day on top of your shakes to keep you hydrated as you are not eating food so are getting no water from your food intake. Some people do find it hard ( I'm lucky as it doesn't bother me) maybe fill a 2ltr bottle everyday and just sup it through the day instead if forcing yourself to drink a glass in 1. Unfortunately you are not allowed the flavored water but are allowed plain fizzy water if that might help you :)

Jo x

I'm trying to sip it but I usually forget. Being as I'm not getting headaches either I haven't got anything to prompt me if I've not had enough. I'll just have to keep drinking as and when I think about it and hope I get some sort of habit.

I think water is really really important and I think it is the difference between the weeks I lose 4 and the weeks I lose more....Not counting the shakes, I was told I had to drink 4 litres so that is what I am trying to do. I kind of have a routine with it now, I drink 2 litres at work during the day of still water, we have a water dispenser thingy at work and I just make sure I have a little bottle with me at all times. Then in the evenings, I open a 2 litre bottle of sparkling water and finish it before bed. My cups of coffee have gone from about 10/12 a day to 2 just cos i don't have the room in my tummy for them!! xx

Ok, in that case I'll try my hardest to try and get this water down my neck.

I know you've already said no to flavoured water, but someone else has said on another thread that they still have milk in their drinks and it's not affected their ketosis or weight loss. Surely the stuff in the water can't be worse than milk? I'm not arguing with you on this btw, but I'm curious as to people's opinions as others say they use chilli & curry powder and stuff and others say you have to be 100% by the book or it won't work, so with so many different opinions I wondered why water with flavourings would be so damaging.

I know you've already said no to flavoured water, but someone else has said on another thread that they still have milk in their drinks and it's not affected their ketosis or weight loss. Surely the stuff in the water can't be worse than milk? I'm not arguing with you on this btw, but I'm curious as to people's opinions as others say they use chilli & curry powder and stuff and others say you have to be 100% by the book or it won't work, so with so many different opinions I wondered why water with flavourings would be so damaging.

My best advice to you is dont f**k with the programme lol!!
I really couldnt care less what works for other people, I stick to this diet 100% and my results are really good every week! If you're gonna go through the hassle and strain of this diet then you may aswell do it by the book! I'd rather lose say 4-5 pounds a week being strict as opposed to 1-2 just by going slightly off track !! xxx

milk contains sugar, flavoured water contains sweetners (which stall some people, me included) and citric acid which prevents/stops ketosis, water water water and more water (tea and coffee don't count either unless they're decaff) :)

I've been using sweeteners in my drinks. I wonder if I should just cut that out too then.
No no you're allowed the Canderell tablet sweeteners!!!!!! Just not the powder !!
I use like 3 sweeteners in all my coffees and shakes lol I wouldnt cope xxx

I didn't find those ones, I've got something else. But the good news is Slim & Save do ketosis friendly water flavourings so I've bought some online to see if they make water taste better and if so I'll have no issue drinking my 2-4 litres.

Back