how is it possible to lose inches not weight?

This question bothered me too so i googled it and it said the most likely cause for losing inches and not lbs on the scale is due to gaining more muscle which is apparently a very good thing.If you work out then you will be developing muscle and toning up and seeing as muscle is heavier than fat it wont show on the scale But could be something else too but cant think what else.

I feel thinner and my clothes agree but scales disagree. Wish I understood biology! Or is it chemistry?! Thanks guys, appreciate the comments xxx

muscle is not heavier than fat - a 1lb of muscle weighs the same as a 1lb of fat,

the muscle however is more dense, subsequently a 1lb of muscle will fit into a smaller area than a 1lb of fat if that makes sense.

you are on a high protein diet which, in the right balance does feed muscle development & growth.
water intake will also hydrate and "inflate" your muscles.

if you follow this plan correctly there is no way that you will not be burning up stores of fat.

but, as we are women we can suffer from hormonal fluctuations so we are aware off thru various other symptoms and some we arent.
hope that helps
V :D

Last edited:
It does help thank you! But I've given up trying to understand cos I will Simply diet and not weigh myself anymore! Apart from cdc of course....otherwise I torture myself. Xx

Yeah i meant it is heavier in volume should of been more clear =D 1lb of fat weighs the same as 1lb of muscle but the same can be said that 1lb of feathers weighs the same as 1lb of fat cos its the same weight but wont be of the same size. But im with you on this sod the scales i check the scales at my weekly WI and the feeling of my clothes getting smaller well that just makes me feel good =D

Frustrating cos I am still in a size 14 despite loosing nearly a stone And a half that said some of my size 14 jeans are hanging off me and my summer hot pants also a size 14 fit the same ad they did before lol. Starting to wonder if I was previously in denial about my true size but I guess that's one for the therapist lmao x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Yeah i know the feeling my last WI on monday i was down 21lbs and i have not gone a size smaller YET but my clothes are getting lose and they were VERY tight before its just my massive belly seems to be going no where although others notice my loss i cant see it but i can feel it in my clothes if that makes any sense lol

Hi Mummymonster!

I've just copied some advice from CDC KD who wrote a lovely long advice post for life after CD (in the CD maintenance forum). I only weigh myself about once a week - and mainly with my CDC at the mo - but I look at the long term pattern and not the day to day ups and downs cause we're funny bodies - just funky bags of salt water that change size and shape and content all the time - I agree with you - we don't need to understand the bio-chemistry - we just need to know that we are not robots and our bodies fluctuate - weight and size aren't the same thing so we can get bigger and smaller, heavier and lighter and the two don't always match xx

By KD:

Weighing:
Daily. The National Weight control registry recommends it,and that's probably the best research department we have. I always weigh daily, though what the scales say can take a bit of deciphering LOL. They don't tell the true story as you probably know. Daily flutuations, hormone response, perhaps a little extra salt in some food and so on can make the scales give a false fat reading. Don't panic, but always be honest with yourself. Eaten too much the day before...move more and be a little more aware over the next few days.

Back