How many calories should I be consuming?

MudBoots

I weigh around 27stone, and I walk 2 to 3 miles most days, but am not that active the rest of the day.

I'm a 6foot male with quite a big build, and thought maybe a 400kcal/day deficit from a steady weight calorie intake would be about right.

But I'm not sure how many calories I would need to stay the same weight, to base that deficit upon.

I'm type 2 diabetic, if that makes any difference.

I did weigh 36stone seven years ago, and I think a lot of the loss came from going from vegetarian to cutting out all the egg and dairy, but I have seemed to plateaued a bit with the weight loss.

I have started counting calories, on and off, and keeping a diary.

With my muscle bulk from all the walking I think I probably need a bit more than 2500kcal a day....one calculator said around 4000kcal/day, but I think that can't be accurate, probably due to me being too heavy for their equations to be relevant.

I ate about 2800kcals yesterday, and that might have been about right, to maintain my weight.

So how many calories would I need to maintain my weight? Obviously I don't want to. A nice temporary goal would be 22stone, so I can at least be allowed back on the dentist's chair!

My fitness pal is a good calculator if you haven't used that already. That should give you an accurate Reading.

I know i'm a little late replying to this one, but it might be helpful. If you work out your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) using the link below that gives you the number of calories you need to eat to maintain (inc. calories from any activity you do). You need to have a deficit of 3500 cals to lose 1lb, so take off the necessary. The usual number is TDEE -20%.

TDEE Calculator

just looking around for inspiration. never knew you needed a 3500 cal deficit to lose 1lb. Scary, but v interesting.
thanks Stackhead

I think the other posters pretty much hit it on the head. Something else you might want to check out though is your BMR (Base Metabolic Rate) its the number of calories your body needs to survive if it was bed bound just to take care of all your body functions. The advise is never to go below the amount it gives you.

Plenty of calculators available online if its of interest.

Back