How to minimize weight gain after coming out of ketosis

Chunkeymonkey

Is it better to come out of ketosis by eating lots of meat etc or a carby meal? It seems that people gain more after coming out of ketosis by have one? Or does it not make a difference?

Don't know the answer to your question. However, I will be keenly watching this thread as I would like to find out too.

I'm stopping the cambridge diet in October regardless of whether I reach target or not as we would like to try for a baby. I asked my consultant whether I need to follow the CWP steps and the only advice that she gave me was to stick to white meat & green veg :sigh:

There are lots of posts on here by people who didn't follow the steps up from ss or ss+ - i.e. 2 weeks on each step - and it seems most of them had problems with the weight just slamming back on. I always picture Eddie Murphy in the nutty professor :) I'm pretty sure ketosis is NOT the issue here at all - your metabolism, and your whole organism in general, needs to gently ease back in to eating regular food. I don't think your body deals well with the kind of shock it gets if you just jump right into it!

Hey, i replied in your other thread but just wanted to say that i don't think eating just meat and veg will take you out of ketosis unless it's a shed load of veg, as meat doesn't take you out of ketosis which is why you can eats loads on atkins which also uses ketosis.

My plan is to come out of the diet and swap to calorie counting. I have read many stories about how people put the weight back on but I trust myself not to. I know it sounds bad but I have already thought about it and am incorporating some of it but not 100% to plan.

I was thinking of eating a new potato or something simple for a week to get me out of ketosis and following the 1000 plan for a week? Would that do the job?

Edit - I have just read your post in the other thread.

I do agree that most people should work up the plans but I just dont think I can. I am off to uni so I think its awkward preparing a meal around the CD. Im hoping Calorie counting will work for me in the long term. I have done it before and it worked, although the results werent as impressive as CD.

Also, If Im honest and I dont mean this in a mean way but I dont get how someone can pile all the weight back on again without doing something about it. I get a stone or two but all of there lost weight and more? Im not an emotional eater or have any stigmas attached to eating, just a bored eater. I am a daily weigher and I knew I had to change the way I think about food etc and I have learned a lot over the summer. Plus I have just paid £118 out of my student loan on the gym membership at uni and I have lots of free time so I have no excuse not to go.

I know that you are concerned and I thank you for that but I shall follow my own path and see where that leads me! I shall keep you all up to date with you all on the forum to see how you'll are getting on! :)

Last edited:
hey, i think the important thing is to have a plan, whether that is the official route or WW or calorie counting. as long as you take it slow at first and keep an eye on it hopefully you should be fine.

also, don't forget that you will need less calories now you're smaller, so a sensible meal pre-diet might be too much now. i think that will be the key thing for me to remember as well!

hey, i think the important thing is to have a plan, whether that is the official route or WW or calorie counting. as long as you take it slow at first and keep an eye on it hopefully you should be fine.

also, don't forget that you will need less calories now you're smaller, so a sensible meal pre-diet might be too much now. i think that will be the key thing for me to remember as well!

Haha. Yes. Thanks. I do agree. I thought when I started this I'd be "I cant wait to have a pizza, Mcdonalds, Kfc, a chinese or Indian" but now I think about it, I dont even like chinese takeaway. I would eat it at an authentic proper restaurant, but the food had no flavour.

I can make healthier choices without compromising. There are also other treats apart from food! I watched Cook Yourself Thin on 4OD which was actually quite awe inspiring.

Agreed. I saw a website where you work out your BMR which I'll stick to.

It sounds like whatever you end up doing you're being sensible about it so I'm sure you'll do fine. And even if you do gain several pounds at first (your very first week's loss on CD) by going to the gym and following your plan it won't be around long! Let us know how you get on with the food and how it affects you, I can't wait to hear your experience of the whole thing as I'll also be leaving CD before I reach goal :)

Chunkey Monkey & Cheesegirl - when are you leaving CD?

I'm leaving the plan in October. Would be great to team up and give each other support with re-introducing food.

I'm planning to leave on 30th October. I'm planning to have one week of 810. To be honest I'm not sure whether I will be working up the plans or joining slimming world straightaway.

My CWPC just said to have white meat and green veg for the first 2-3 weeks after coming off. After that, she said that I must be sensible :confused:

Gawd, dontcha just hate it when they want you to be sensible??! :D

I'm just completing my 16th week, I've lost just under 65lbs. Been ss all the way, with 3 ss+ weeks where I ate one 200cal meal each day. I actually attempted to stay on ss+ the last time I did the 'add a meal' week but I felt awful after the second week, all bloaty and just plain icky. I went back to ss after that and within a few days I felt back to normal.

I'd still like to lose 50ish pounds and so I'm wavering - I can't firmly decide if I want to keep at ss and get to within 20lbs of goal or start going up the steps in October (although by then I hope to have lost another 14 or so lbs so I'd be closer to goal anyway). I feel like I've gotten such a cracking jump start on CD tho, I know I couldn't have done it on any other programme. The speed of the losses kept me going when I thought I couldn't last another day, and without food getting in the way I was able to look inside my head and figure out what my problem was. I think that this is what's going to help me maintain after I reach goal, just finally addressing my inner turmoil or whatever you'd call it.

I feel more optimistic and happy than I have in years and so I feel confident that I'll be able to maintain. BUT, I've rambled on long after answering your questions so enough! ;)

Chunkey Monkey & Cheesegirl - when are you leaving CD?

I'm leaving the plan in October. Would be great to team up and give each other support with re-introducing food.

I shall be leaving a 2 or 3 weeks. :( I moved up to SS+ to start reintroducing foods.

I dont know how much Ive lost as I havent weight myself in a few days.

Back