How to not compare?!

MistyLula

My second time doing slimming world. First time I joined, First week lost 4, second week gained it back, third week gained even more! Followed every rule.

This time, my first week I lost 3. But disappointed, needed a really good week to start with psychologically. I kept to everything religiously, and I kept syncs down to less than 5 a day. Didn't even drink when I usually do every night. Other group member lost 5lb and still drank most nights.

I know I shouldn't compare myself to others but what am I doing wrong?

I know it's difficult but don't do it it can seriously derail you. When I first did Sw I lost regularly 3,4, 5 pounds a week this time it's coming off much slower. 3lbs is a great loss just keep going and the amount you lose will quickly start to add up.

Don't deprive yourself...syns are there to be used...sw say to use anywhere between 5 and 15 a day...i find the less i use the less i lose....maybe give that a try...also not drinking enough (water, not alcohol, lol) shows in my losses (or lack of) immediately!
Good luck with your weight loss journey and always keep in mind that even a loss of 1 lb a week adds up to 3 1/2 stone in a year...slimming world is not a quick fix but a long lasting change to healthy eating xx

What sort of time do you eat your evening meal? When I was very busy with work, I wouldn't eat until very late (such as after 10pm), and I did notice the weight slowly creeping on. Lack of sleep is another culprit - unfortunately, I'm guilty of both these things and I find them hard habits to break.

I'd agree with what others have said - it can be very disheartening to compare yourself to others in your group. Don't be too hard on yourself, and remember that slow and steady wins the race :). I like to think of it as taking the scenic route! My losses have been much smaller than some in my group, but we are all different, with varying amounts of weight to lose. Focus on yourself, be positive (I once heard the quote 'I'm not losing weight, I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of ever finding it again'. I repeat this to myself periodically and find it helps) and you'll be fine :).

What sort of time do you eat your evening meal? When I was very busy with work, I wouldn't eat until very late (such as after 10pm), and I did notice the weight slowly creeping on. Lack of sleep is another culprit - unfortunately, I'm guilty of both these things and I find them hard habits to break.

I'd agree with what others have said - it can be very disheartening to compare yourself to others in your group. Don't be too hard on yourself, and remember that slow and steady wins the race :). I like to think of it as taking the scenic route! My losses have been much smaller than some in my group, but we are all different, with varying amounts of weight to lose. Focus on yourself, be positive (I once heard the quote 'I'm not losing weight, I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of ever finding it again'. I repeat this to myself periodically and find it helps) and you'll be fine :).

I love this quote!!! :)

All our bodies are very different, some people will have huge losses and give up, some people will consistently lose 1lb a week and get to target. If it's causing you to sabotage, have you considered not staying to Image Therapy and hearing everyones losses? see if it makes a difference?

also - when i massively cut on my syns I don't lose as much. The weeks where I feel like I've really put my syns to good use and feel like I've been a bit naughty are the weeks I've done the best at! Use your syns.

Fill out your food diary and ask your consultant to look at it - gaining two weeks in row when you've religiously followed the plan isn't right, you must be slipping up somewhere. When I first started I didn't have a great loss and then I realised I wasn't synning things that needed to be synned and not having my 1/3rd SP.

Good luck! xxxx

Like others have said, everyone differs completely. We had one woman in my group a while ago that could drink tons at the wekend, have McD's and still loose every week! But It's all dependant on your bosy and how it processes everything... like Wendolene and strawberryshortcake point out, lack of sleep, water, time of evening meal and not using your syns can all account for the difference in losses.
You might have also had healthier lifestyle than you realised (i.e. eating fruit & veg regularly, cooking your own meals) so your bosy might not see it as much of a shock to the system and some people who lose 7lbs in their first week might. Obviously that doesn't apply to everyone, but some who have the higher losses in their first week have said that it's because it's a complete change in eating habits (I take that bit of info from the members at my group :) )

Don't be too disheartened, just think that by losing 3lbs a week, you can lose just under 1 stone in the next 4 weeks! It's a good loss to have, and even losing 1-2lbs a week is great. The slower it comes of the easier to keep it off so they say :) and if you need some inspration, google what 1lb of fat looks like (it's not actually fat, just a funny looking thing to represent it) and just think that you've lost 3 times that :)
Stick with it, up your syns too, they're there to be used and help stop you wanting to binge on something x

Like everyone else has said, use your syns :) They're there to be used and I too get a better loss when I use them. If I cut them right back I don't lose. It doesn't make sense, but it works :)

I agree with what everyone has said. If I try and cut my syns way down I just don't loose as much! We all have those times when we get a little disappointed or disillusioned with it all. Just stick at it...will be worth it in the end :)

To make you feel better, MistyLula, my first week (last time), even after following the plan religiously and having my diary checked by the consultant, who found nothing wrong with it, I GAINED 1lb!!! I was totally gutted but stuck with it and went on to lose 3 stone, slowly but surely. The fact I idiotically put it all back on again, is another story!

Anyway, good luck, don't give up and, don't forget, you're the only one that matters so don't compare yourself with others.

Kathy :)

Several years ago my friend lost 5 stone on SW, she stuck to the diet religiously but always managed to incorporate a massive snickers bar after every weigh-in, and either a takeaway kebab or curry on sat night along with a few vodkas and diet coke and all within her syns. She lost every week until target 9 months later. I was amazed at the amount of food she ate whilst watching her getting skinnier week after week. She was nearly always SOW and her group would get quite miffed when she told them what she ate. I, on the other hand struggle to lose even a 1lb a week and just thinking of a takea way kebab or curry puts lbs on me! So I know how frustrating it can be.

Back