HRM / Calorie's burned

DustQueen

Gold Member
Hi I wasn't sure where to ask this so have posted here and in the fitness and exercise section.
I am interested it purchasing a HRM to get a more accurate idea of how many calories I'm burning and have been a little confused by conflicting reviews etc online so wanted to know what people had bought these thought?
- Do you gave a HRM?
- Do you believe it accurately tracks your calories?
- Would you recommend it?
Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

DustQueen said:
Hi I wasn't sure where to ask this so have posted here and in the fitness and exercise section.
I am interested it purchasing a HRM to get a more accurate idea of how many calories I'm burning and have been a little confused by conflicting reviews etc online so wanted to know what people had bought these thought?
- Do you gave a HRM?
- Do you believe it accurately tracks your calories?
- Would you recommend it?
Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Hiya I bought the tesco one the other day on offer at £13.60 I think it seems accurate as figured aren't miles out from MFP figs, only thing I don't get is when not doing anything it still calculates a burn of about 150 cal an hour???? X

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Hiya I bought the tesco one the other day on offer at £13.60 I think it seems accurate as figured aren't miles out from MFP figs, only thing I don't get is when not doing anything it still calculates a burn of about 150 cal an hour???? X

Your body burns carories all day to do the smallest of things so even walking to the kitchen to make a cup o tea requires some level of energy and so calories would be burnt IMO :)

I have a pro sonic one for around £12 on amazon it has a strap that goes around my chest and a watch that has all the information on it. I love mine and use is nearly everyday and yes it is accurate. I did see somebody on here (not sure who) saying that the ones she had bought only last a few months before going a bit funny, so make sure you keep your receipt so you can change it if it happens to you.

I love mine because it takes all the guess work out of calorie burning and you have so much more control when eating back what you have burned.

Hope that help :) x :wavey:

Last edited:
Scottish Bride said:
Your body burns carories all day to do the smallest of things so even walking to the kitchen to make a cup o tea requires some level of energy and so calories would be burnt IMO :)

I have a pro sonic one for around £12 on amazon it has a strap that goes around my chest and a watch that has all the information on it. I love mine and use is nearly everyday and yes it is accurate. I did see somebody on here (not sure who) saying that the ones she had bought only last a few months before going a bit funny, so make sure you keep your receipt so you can change it if it happens to you.

I live mine because it takes all the guess work out of calorie burning and you have so much more control when eating back what you have burned.

Hope that help :) x :wavey:
Yea I realise that but 150 x 15hours. = 2250 cals And that's without exercise can that be right? MFP say is need 1850ish to maintain??? Xxx

I've got the Tesco one too, though I bought it for the full price of £20. Damn! I bought it about 5/6 months ago now I think and it's still going strong and it's just as accurate now as it was then. For most things, it's pretty much spot on with what MFP estimates so I'm guessing that it's pretty accurate. There are some times I'm way over what MFP would estimate but that's for things like the 30 Day Shred or Turbo Jam which are fairly unique and so don't really fit any one of their exercises. I'd definitely recommend it. My biggest bit of advice is that whatever HRM you get, it's only accurate if you keep it up to date! So every so often you need to keep your weight updated on it because that's one of the factors that it uses, along with your heart rate, to calculate your calories burned and the more you weigh, the more you burn. So if you don't keep it updated, it'll be overestimating. A few lbs won't make any real difference but that 44.5lbs you've lost would make a huge difference on it!

It will still calculate a burn when you're not doing anything because you're still burning. 150 probably is right but just because you burned 150 in that hour, doesn't mean that you would the rest of the hours that you're awake, it depends what you were doing. You must have been doing something because if you sit and do literally nothing, it turns itself off. Maybe you didn't even realise the things that you were doing. Some hours you'll have higher, some lower but it all averages out.

thanks for that, i've just reset mine to make sure i'd put right details in the other day.

Do people wear them constantly or just when exercising? Also do you take the cal reading as soon as you finish exercising or do you wait a bit, as the other day i was on 250cal when finished kettleworx but within 15min had shot to 300cal....

Thanks for advice, am loving HRM really motivating me at the moment to exercise more x

I wear them just when I'm exercising. You carry on burning at a higher rate even when you're finished cos your heart rate is up and so it keeps going but not as much as when you were exercising. I usually stop, catch my breath for a moment then sit down and take that reading. I've gone up by another 150 calories in 10/15 minutes before but I'm reluctant to count them as they weren't burned through the actual exercise. I don't eat the majority of my exercise calories back on a usual day anyway, so those extra calories aren't really that important to me.

I see you're a kettlebell fan, I love it!! I only got into it since Christmas but I'm addicted. I reeeeally want the full kettleworx set, I've only got one DVD at the moment, the fast fat burner one.

caroline g said:
I wear them just when I'm exercising. You carry on burning at a higher rate even when you're finished cos your heart rate is up and so it keeps going but not as much as when you were exercising. I usually stop, catch my breath for a moment then sit down and take that reading. I've gone up by another 150 calories in 10/15 minutes before but I'm reluctant to count them as they weren't burned through the actual exercise. I don't eat the majority of my exercise calories back on a usual day anyway, so those extra calories aren't really that important to me.

I see you're a kettlebell fan, I love it!! I only got into it since Christmas but I'm addicted. I reeeeally want the full kettleworx set, I've only got one DVD at the moment, the fast fat burner one.

Yea I love it, done the kettleworx 3 times now and just started the advanced. Its amazing! If you add me to ur friend list you can see my progress pics, I lost 11cm on my hips the first time I did it!

Oh one more hrm question what is the fat burn mode? (next to cals) the instructions are rubbish!!! X

11cm is great! Over how long? From what I can tell, that's how much fat you've burned during that workout.

I tend to take the final reading when my heart rate goes under 100.

Kettlebells???

So many people I know go to or have been at some kind of class. Have you been to classes or just DVDs? would kettle bells be good for my HUGE wings? how many calories do you burn in say half an hour?

Sorry for highjacking the tread away from HRMs :) x

I use a DVD and in 20 minutes burn about 400-440 calories BUT I'm still very overweight and the more you weigh, the more you burn. So Donzy, who is much smaller than me, won't burn as much. Personally I love it and definitely feel the effects of it.

I use a DVD and in 20 minutes burn about 400-440 calories BUT I'm still very overweight and the more you weigh, the more you burn. So Donzy, who is much smaller than me, won't burn as much. Personally I love it and definitely feel the effects of it.

Thanks so what dvd do you have and how heavy if your kettlebel

This is the heart rate monitor I have: One Body heart rate monitor - Tesco.Direct

I currently use a 2.5kg kettlebell that I got from Sainsburys for £4.99 as it's half price at the moment, that's what I started with. Starting to feel ready to move up so just today bought a 5kg from Sainsburys half price for £6.49 but think I'm going to take it back and order this instead: Kelly Holmes Adjustable Kettle Bell - Tesco.Direct

This was my first Kettlebell DVD: Absolute Beginners: Kettlebell 3-In-1 With Amy Ben DVD 2009 US Import: Amazon.co.uk: Amy Bento: Film & TV

Now I'm using a Kettleworx DVD which is part of this set: KettleWorx Essentials - 6 Kettlebell Training DVD Set: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Leisure

I got the Fast Fat Burner second hand from someone but think I might buy the full set at somepoint, when I can afford it!

Oops double post!

caroline g said:
This is the heart rate monitor I have: One Body heart rate monitor - Tesco.Direct

I currently use a 2.5kg kettlebell that I got from Sainsburys for £4.99 as it's half price at the moment, that's what I started with. Starting to feel ready to move up so just today bought a 5kg from Sainsburys half price for £6.49 but think I'm going to take it back and order this instead: Kelly Holmes Adjustable Kettle Bell - Tesco.Direct

This was my first Kettlebell DVD: Absolute Beginners: Kettlebell 3-In-1 With Amy Ben DVD 2009 US Import: Amazon.co.uk: Amy Bento: Film & TV

Now I'm using a Kettleworx DVD which is part of this set: KettleWorx Essentials - 6 Kettlebell Training DVD Set: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Leisure

I got the Fast Fat Burner second hand from someone but think I might buy the full set at somepoint, when I can afford it!

Thanks Caroline does it display calories burnt? Because it doesn't say it does on the website? Thank you

Thanks guys that's really helpful, so have you all had good losses when measuring your exercise calories this way?

I only started using couple of days ago so can't tell results but it does motivate me to exercise.

11cm is great! Over how long? From what I can tell, that's how much fat you've burned during that workout.

That was the first 6weeks!!!
Fat in grams?

I tend to take the final reading when my heart rate goes under 100.

Kettlebells???

So many people I know go to or have been at some kind of class. Have you been to classes or just DVDs? would kettle bells be good for my HUGE wings? how many calories do you burn in say half an hour?

Sorry for highjacking the tread away from HRMs :) x

You don't burn as many calories as when you're doing cardio like zumba for instance but you're building muscle (not in the arnie sense) so in the long run you're body uses more cals all the time. Check out thread "secret to shaping up" x

I use an 8kg and a 5kg now (for smaller muscle groups) but started with a 5kg.

Oh and just to bring it back to the original thread, i've got the same HRM think its called ONE body and its currently £13 ish x

All HRMs should tell you the number of calories that you burn, that's mostly the point of them. But yes, it tells you calories burnt, fat burnt, how long you've been exercising etc.

Back