HRM

parfittaroles

Silver Member
I there, I wondered if anyone else had one & was surprised how little calories they burn when exercising? I have had the Lloyds Heart Rate Watch & Chest Strap about a fortnight & my calories burnt always seem so low!

HRM measures heart rate. calories are burned by body muscles (the heart is just one muscle).

so i bicep curl - one small muscle, burns few calories but my heart rate goes up

I do squats, uses loads of muscles and big ones too - and again my heart rate goes up.

it cant measure real calories it uses an algorithm and its inaccurate.

what exercise are you doing?

MartinD said:
HRM measures heart rate. calories are burned by body muscles (the heart is just one muscle).

so i bicep curl - one small muscle, burns few calories but my heart rate goes up

I do squats, uses loads of muscles and big ones too - and again my heart rate goes up.

it cant measure real calories it uses an algorithm and its inaccurate.

what exercise are you doing?

Thanks for your reply. I guess that makes sense!

I alternate my exercises every other week:
Monday - circuit training or aerobics
Wednesday - Latino fit (salsa dancing with dumbells) or sculpt and tone (lots of squats, sit ups & weights!)
Friday - circuits or Zumba
Sunday - run between 3-10km

I never seem to burn more than 200 calories in an hour, which doesn't seem like a lot!

your doing a great variety - quality exercise id say and good fun.

ok why not set the hrm to work at a rate during one of these sessions. your monday session is a great one - work at 70-80% max. a good circuit burns 700-1000 cals/hr depending on your bodyweight and work rate.

oh your weights circuit -you burn quite a few cals recovering your hrm wont record that

I do different exercises as I get bored if I do the same ones every week. Plus it stops it getting easy!

I work my bum off at circuit training & am always sweating & generally looking like a tramp by the time it's finished, which is why I don't understand why I'm not burning more! I'll set my watch to the higher bpm as currently it's set on the fat burning phase - thanks for the suggestion!

Back