Extra Easy I cant get weighed any suggestions !!

Jordon-UK

Hi I'm am a paraplegic and just joined slimming world well my mum has and I'm borrowing her books I don't see the point in paying to go to the classes for a weigh in as I can't stand to get weighed any way. my mum asked about it at her slim class and they just said measure Instead but I'm finding it pretty useless as I can't see anything really happening. I can buy scales that I can wheel on with my wheelchair but they cost approx £600. And I'm just wondering is there any better suggestions. PLEASE HELP.

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

What about your local nursing home? Maybe they would be kind enough to weigh you in their weighing hoist? X

Hi well I've asked the hospital and they do have the facility but they said there short staffed and can do it possibly every three months which isn't really very helpful.

There's actually a nursing home near where I live I could ask them.

Thanks guys, :)

What about doing measurements of bust, arms, waist and then leg and arm circumference measurements? Will take a little longer to see results but you can measure the change in inches rather than stones and pounds. It'd more reliable than the scales anyway. Good luck with it :)

Have you tried talking to your GP - many surgery's now have the chair scales, which you would just have to transfer on to. I believe they have to be able to offer you some type of service due to the disability act, so worth inquiring and don't take no for an answer.

shellywelly1983 said:
Have you tried talking to your GP - many surgery's now have the chair scales, which you would just have to transfer on to. I believe they have to be able to offer you some type of service due to the disability act, so worth inquiring and don't take no for an answer.

Hi my gp doesn't have one I'll keep trying though I may just save up and buy one. :)

peacelily said:
What about doing measurements of bust, arms, waist and then leg and arm circumference measurements? Will take a little longer to see results but you can measure the change in inches rather than stones and pounds. It'd more reliable than the scales anyway. Good luck with it :)

I'll try that THANKYOU

jezzi999 said:
If you find somewhere that can weigh you (like the nursing home) perhaps you can give them the £5 each week that you would have spent for classes as a token donation, and they can use it for treats for the residents. If you offered that they might be more likely to say yes :)

I'm going to go round there now and see if they have one and say I could make a donation wish me look.

MadameLaMinx said:
I can understand that it would be frustrating initially because you can't "see" the changes you are making taking effect and it will take a few weeks or months to really find it noticeable in measurements - however, you can just trust that you are following a really healthy eating plan that is sustainable for life and try and focus on that, rather than the numbers on a scale, because the rest will follow naturally as a matter of course, if you can't find somewhere to get weighed and you don't like getting weighed anyway.

Within a month or two, you will find your clothes are much easier to get on, so that's one good marker. Find something you find "tight" now, and use that as a guide in terms of how different it looks on you from one month to the next. It's actually quite a positive thing that you can't get weighed, because it is VERY easy to get scale obsessed when following a weight loss plan and your resolve and self-esteem can be shot to ribbons by a sneaky weigh-in that sends you off plan in a sulk. So, at worst, go for the three month weigh ins at the hospital, or maybe ask to weigh monthly at a local nursing home if they have the facilities, OR just trust in the plan and know that you are doing a great thing and the results will become clear over the next few months.

Yeah I know if it doesn't work out finding one anywhere else that's what I will do id just like that knowledge that I'm on the right track.

I know what you mean; even missing one weigh-in creates a temptation to let things slip, but once it's done it sort of lets you wipe the slate clean and gives you motivation for the coming week. It is pretty drastic having to spend all that money for some scales yourself; I'm amazed there isn't something accessible; the likes of Boots where there are ordinary scales ought to take this up, even if only at their larger stores, at least it would be something! Fingers crossed with your local nursing home x

Hey guys guess what I was just out with my dogs and two people were stood outside the resource centre / nursing home and I spoke to them and explained my situation and that I would be willing to make a £5 donation every time I got weighed and they were very helpful and didn't see why there'd be a problem as apparently there trying to open it up more to the community as they have free space ect. So they said if i just go in tomorrow and speak to who's in charge it should be fine, and best of all it five minutes from my house. Lets hope whoever is in charge agrees, I'm extremely happy thanks for the advice everybody.

:)

Great news. Hope it helps on your journey. Let us know how it goes. Might be useful for others in a similar situation

THANKYOU fingers crossed the weight falls off. I'm also swimming for four hours a week and going to the gym two hours a week. Obviously all upper body though. So maybe equivalent to able body person doing 3 hours a week.

Hey guys guess what I was just out with my dogs and two people were stood outside the resource centre / nursing home and I spoke to them and explained my situation and that I would be willing to make a £5 donation every time I got weighed and they were very helpful and didn't see why there'd be a problem as apparently there trying to open it up more to the community as they have free space ect. So they said if i just go in tomorrow and speak to who's in charge it should be fine, and best of all it five minutes from my house. Lets hope whoever is in charge agrees, I'm extremely happy thanks for the advice everybody.

:)

Had a thought they might have issues with insurance particularly if you would need assistance getting on and off but hopefully it will work out for you x

*Emsie* said:
Had a thought they might have issues with insurance particularly if you would need assistance getting on and off but hopefully it will work out for you x

They might need to do a moving and handling assessment and have it on site, there will be assessors available to do this x

Back