I feel like crying...

Gerry

Hi folks,

I've been on SF/TLC (Tesco Lighter Choices) shakes since about August last year and lost about 2 stone. I've always set myself small achievable goals of half a stone at a time which have made things more managable. However, now I seem to have hit a plateau and can't seem to loose anymore. It's really depressing. I was originally booked to have a full gastric bypass, but when I managed to loose weight on my own, I decided not to chase the hospital (they had to check out some of my previous medical history back in January this year, and I've not heard a thing from them since, despite phoning and being told someone would call me back but they never did). I'm still careful what I eat (although have the odd lapse) and have taken up walking to get exercise, which is difficult for me because of disability but I persevere.

Does everyone manage to loose some weight then stop? Does it kick in again at some point or does it just become harder? I think I need some encouragement before I pick up the phone and call the hospital for the bypass surgery. I'd rather do it on my own if I can, but I'm so desperate to see the scales going down instead of up or staying the same.

I have a shake first thing in the morning, one at lunch and an evening meal, and have SF or TLC 100 cal snacks in between. I drink (although probably not enough) tea - about 5 cups a day.

A male friend who does weight watchers is regularly loosing 1 - 2 lb a week and that makes me feel worse because he's loosing and I'm not. He says it's because I'm not eating enough and that my body is holding onto the fat. Could that be right?

Any words of encouragement would be much appreciated.

:wave_cry:

Hi Gerry ... lots of people seem to hit a patch where they get stuck after a while, bear with it and it will start going again, i'm feeling down in the dumps this week but i'mgoing to hang in there.
What you are eating sounds fine,but I don't think you are drinking enough,water is really important, I drink between 2 and 3 litres a day x

Hi Gerry, I'm not to great when it comes to advice but i just want to say hold out on phoning the hospital just yet as it seems to me that your not all that keen on surgery and that you would much rather do it yourself. What sort of meals are you having in the evening ? And yes water is such a big part in weight loss, so try to drink 2-3ltrs a day, but drink it slowly :) I do also think that no matter how over weight you are you get stuck and i'm kinda at the same point as you but for me its a cycle i have got to get out off. My problem is i take 2 steps forward with a good loss one week then im bad and take one step back up the scales ( my own fault but i cant seem to break the cycle at the moment )

My doc has mentioned she would refer me for surgery if i haven't managed to get very far in a years time but i'm a wimp and really don't want to go down that route, it is possible to do this and my thoughts are will you as i know just how hard it is to stay motivated when you can see no change on those scales.

For me when i have a good week diet wise i feel on top of the world so imo that's enough reason to carry on and those scales have no other option but to move down at some point. How many weeks have you had a sts or a plus week ?

Keep your chin up, we are all here for you xx

Maybe a change of diet might be what you need, i am considering that at the moment and am looking into other options such as Atkins or ww/sw just not sure for myself as i know SF does work if done 100%

Hi Gerry. Well done for the 29lbs :clap:

Hi folks,

However, now I seem to have hit a plateau and can't seem to loose anymore.

Plateaus are common. Often the fat is going but it gets replaced by water, so the scales don't show the loss :( Sometimes, if you stick with it, you suddenly get a whoosh week and a big drop to make up for it. :clap:

I'm still careful what I eat (although have the odd lapse) and have taken up walking to get exercise, which is difficult for me because of disability but I persevere.
Well done for the walking. Watch out for those odd lapses, as they can pile up the calories (been there, done that :sigh:)

I have a shake first thing in the morning, one at lunch and an evening meal, and have SF or TLC 100 cal snacks in between. I drink (although probably not enough) tea - about 5 cups a day.
Sounds good, though probably need to drink more...but, much depends on how many calories you are having in the day. One evening meal of 1,000 cals, or one evening meal of 250 cals;)

A male friend who does weight watchers is regularly loosing 1 - 2 lb a week and that makes me feel worse because he's loosing and I'm not.
it's easier for men to lose. Never compare with others.

He says it's because I'm not eating enough and that my body is holding onto the fat. Could that be right?
If you weren't eating enough, then the body can slow down and even plateau, but it's highly unlikely this has happened in your case.

So, any idea roughly what your total cal intake is? You don't have to tell me, but tot it up yourself for a day and be really honest with yourself about it. 1,500 cals a day would be a good aim. Less than that can make blips more common :( You may find you can get away with more, but best to record accurately and find your level.

BTW, how long has this plateau been for?

Hi Gerry,

I started SF in November, I did really well until Jabuary, lost 2 stone up to then. But for all of jan and half of Feb I lost nothing, not even a pound. No matter what I did nothing was shifting. I thought it was because I was eating too much, so I cut down but all that did was make me hungry and miserable.
prehaps instaed of setting weight loss goals, maybe set yourself 100% day goals. Say go for doing one day at 100% and see how you feel and then go from there. It sounds like you are doing the right things, peoples bodies re-act differently, just because one person can loose at the drop of a hat it doesn't mean we all can.
Also, have you tried keep a food diary and weighing everything you eat so you can get an acurate idea of how many cals you are eating a day?
I hope you feel better soon. x

Thank you so much for all the replies everyone, and my apologies for having not got back on here before now to check out the thread. I'm still goign nowhere fast and not getting down under my 19 stone. My lowest has been 19st 4lb and I just can't get under that. Doesn't help that my male friend went to WW tonight and has lost 4.5lb. I just wish that was me as I'd be under 19st then :sigh:. I really need to stay focused. I think I will make myself up some squash (can't drink plain water) and try to drink that during the day. I seem to loose weight in the run up to my period then put it all back on afterwards which is weird. Been having a lot of mobility problems and pains lately, so not done as much walking this past week. Hoping to get back in there and be a bit more focused though. Need to cut out some of the naughty snacks too I think.

Will keep you posted. As for calories, not sure on that one. I have 400 in the 2 shakes, and two snacks of about 100 cals each, then my evening meal can be between 350 and 600 depending on what I have. Friday night is worst as hubby likes a take away. Time to cut that out me thinks!

Still feeling low, mainly because of the pain.

Thanks again for all the replies everyone.

Hi gerry - I'm pleased you got back to us, its nice to hear from you again. You and i really sound like we are in the same boat hun, i have this habit of losing and then when its totm i put it back on again. Its my horrid cycle of one step forward and two steps back :( i really do 100% totally know and understand where your coming from.

Do keep us posted and if you want someone to rant with i'm always here :)

Back