I know we dont cal count but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nomes

Gold Member
My mum was mentioning an article she read (retired nurse) that said that when people reach target, they often put weight back on after a year or so of maintaining.

They researched this and found that on average, to maintain target, people needed to eat 300 calories less per day than a non- dieter.

I just wanted to share this as I know myself that I can't eat a 'normal' allowance without gaining and am aware that is why sw is a lifestyle adjustment not a fix.

I'm not posting this for comments of 'well that's not true because....' but just to share. It's not a go at anyone just to be an interesting idea. (I'm suffering a great deal so can't be bothered with aggro lol)

vanilla_cupcake said:
This is just gonna confuse people because we don't calorie count at SW!!

The op states that in the title,its just a bit of info that some people may find interesting.

I'm way off target yet but I think it's interesting info for those people who are trying to maintain.

Thanks for sharing

:)

acc said:
The op states that in the title,its just a bit of info that some people may find interesting.

I know that!!! But we don't calorie count so I don't see the point in it!!! If people are having trouble maintaining their weight they need to look at their syns and healthy extras not calories! If people want to start counting calories then SW isn't for them! :)

vanilla_cupcake said:
I know that!!! But we don't calorie count so I don't see the point in it!!! If people are having trouble maintaining their weight they need to look at their syns and healthy extras not calories! If people want to start counting calories then SW isn't for them! :)

I'm sure there's no one in sw that is unaware that their food still has calories!!

We need therefore to make sure when we maintain that we stick to weeklies etc when at target.

Sw has still been worked out with calories in mind, as has ww, slim fast etc.

Weight loss despite how it's packaged is to do with using less than we need.

I like the package so I pay. Hence big big money in the diet industry.

Of course we know there's calories in our food we aren't stupid but we pay SW to work the syn values out for us so we don't have to!!! If people are having problems that's what consultants are for!

Regardless, for anyone else I thought this was very interesting research. Shows how much the body can change!

I don't do SW or any other just try and eat healthy.This is very interesting as I kept to 1200 - 1600 for ages and hardly lost any weight.Last week dropped my calories drank green tea instead of normal tea with milk cut out all the rubbish(cereal,crisps,cereal bars,bread,and ate fresh unprocessed foods) carried on doing my usual walking and I lost a couple of lbs.:)

So for me I need to keep below 1200 to maintain.

1200 is a very small amount :eek:

Way too low if under 1200! I would look online for a bmr calculator which would work out the calories your body needs to function based on age and activity level and then forget about it while just trusting sw :)

ETA oops sorry justsaw that you dont do SW :eek:

I suspect that we need fewer calories than non-dieters because our metabolisms have slowed from being on a diet long-term; I wonder how long it takes for us to get back up to speed?

Regardless, knowing that we need to eat 300 fewer cals than non-dieters isn't particularly helpful if you're not on a calorie-counting plan, lol! I'm just going to stick with slimming world and see how I go; it's a way of eating I can see myself sticking to.

who_la_hoop said:
I suspect that we need fewer calories than non-dieters because our metabolisms have slowed from being on a diet long-term; I wonder how long it takes for us to get back up to speed?

Regardless, knowing that we need to eat 300 fewer cals than non-dieters isn't particularly helpful if you're not on a calorie-counting plan, lol! I'm just going to stick with slimming world and see how I go; it's a way of eating I can see myself sticking to.

Exactly!!! We aren't on a calorie controlled diet so this info isn't going to help us!

Honestly putting this on the SW forum is like us putting SW info on the WW forum........pointless!

Mmm actually the point of putting it on is a reminder that to maintain our weight loss we need to stick to syn allowance .

The amount of people who use the 1 syn per 20 cal saying aren't slated. Just put this on to show that dieting does impact metabolic rate.

To answer a previous question, it can apparently take years to change.

Nomes said:
Mmm actually the point of putting it on is a reminder that to maintain our weight loss we need to stick to syn allowance .

The amount of people who use the 1 syn per 20 cal saying aren't slated. Just put this on to show that dieting does impact metabolic rate.

To answer a previous question, it can apparently take years to change.

Yeah but your first post was about 'calories' and not syns!

Why would people who use the 20 calorie - 1 syn rule be slated?

Your op was about cutting down on calories therefore should not be on the SW forum it should be on the calorie counting forum! If we are struggling to maintain we cut down on syns etc not calories!

I have far bigger issues than where you think it should be posted . I put it here for discussion on the actual research not wether calories are app to slimming world. Thank you for expressing your opinion. It has been noted.

Nomes said:
I have far bigger issues than where you think it should be posted . I put it here for discussion on the actual research not wether calories are app to slimming world. Thank you for expressing your opinion. It has been noted.

I agree, I don't see why people would comment, if you don't find it helpful, just ignore it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back