I lost 150 lbs- Life was great- now I put 82 back on and I'm really struggling

Glowworm

Just 3 years ago I decided I had a serious weight issue. I started kicking some rear end and lost a whopping 150 lbs. I was right where I wanted to be and life was great- My confidence was up, I could be active, wasn't hurting myself (from doing activities overweight I had knee issues), and I even met an incredibly attractive woman who I fell in love with and now we are engaged to be married... however, over the last year I've added 82 pounds back.

This devastated me. After all that hard work I was so happy for myself, and somehow i blew it, and I piled on the weight. My Fiance is still crazy about me, and my life is still under control, but its caused some serious depression issues, like I let myself down big time.

I've put my rear end into gear for the last 2 months. I've knocked off 20 lbs, so I'm now only 62 pounds above where I was, but I'm now so upset with myself for letting myself gain all the weight that I'm doing things to jeopardized a repeat weight loss. Even when I work out I just beat myself up that "its all my fault I messed up everything going for me".

Anyway, needless to say I wanted to come back on here and connect with the group that was so supportive of me before. I think I could motivate myself better to get these final 62 lbs back off if I had any faith that I could keep it off once I do... I just don't know how to maintain the weight when I get there. This is the third time I've lost a bunch of weight and put it back on within a year and a half and its wearing on me. (last time I was about 80 lbs up, lost 80 lbs, then gained 160 lbs or so, then lost 150, and now I gained 82 again...)

(but that does mean after I lose this 82 I would have managed to lose 322 lbs which has got to be torture to my body...)

Any words of advice or encouragement? any thoughts on what I can do so I dont keep cycling?

Can you join a slimming club near you? I know that many people carry on with the weekly weigh-in at their club so that they don't put the weight back on. Can your fiancé help you to monitor the calories you eat? Does she have any weight problems?
Don't beat yourself up for doing something positive! Carry on losing the weight. You know you can, you just need to find a way to keep it off.

Have you thought about why you put the weight back on? You aren't dieting now, you're eating healthily. If you keep on doing that, then the weight shouldn't pile on. If you're thinking that you can lose the weight then go back to eating bad food, then of course, you'll get fat.
It's all about a change of lifestyle and keeping fit.
Do you do enough exercise?
There are so many things to think about. Keep your chin up!!!

Back