I love one pots!

GymClassHero

Silver Member
Sorry folks, but being the saddo that i am i just have to share with you all how much i love 'One Pot' cooking!

Its stupidly easy and you can make sooooo many nice SW friendly meals! I've been to town today and been around the market and picked up loads of gorgeous fish, meat and veg and have a lovely chicken casserole in the oven as we speak.

I've planned pea and ham broth with dumplings for tomorrow and a saussage casserole for friday using syn free sausage from my local butchers. Fish stew for saturday and we will see what sunday brings ;)

My OH has just watched me shove all my ingredients in my le creuset dish and bang in the oven - he was that impressed at how easy it was he has volunteered to make one himself - lol.

Im thinking at this time of year a slow cooker will come in handy for all the one pot cooking im planning on doing - does anyone have one and how do you rate them?

I lurve one pot cooking! My slow cooker came out of the cupboard last week and we've had lots of casseroles already.
I chop the veg up on an evening and put it in a plastic tub in the fridge then in the morning, before I leave for work, I chuck the veg, the meat, stock cubes and a bit of water in and it's ready when I get home.
Saves lots of time on an evening and all I need to do is a bit of extra green veg for me and OH (DD won't eat green food!!)
I love the fact that you can use cheaper cuts of meat (chicken legs etc) and the meat just falls off the bone.
I absolutely and totally love my slow cooker!!

Jaylou - have you got a decent branded slow cooker? The reason i ask is that they are selling them in netto for £14.99 and im not sure whether or not to buy one or invest in a more expensive branded one?

Nah - mine was as cheap as chips in Tesco! Well not quite as cheap as chips but it was a tenner! It's one of the smaller ones, not a huge one as there are only 3 of us and the little one serves us well.
I don't see why you need a dear one, mine has low/high/warm settings and I usually use it on low. It serves me well!

OOOOO..I havent used my slow cooker in ages...Jaylou do you have a recipe for chicken that I could have? I suppose, chicken veg, stock cubes, tinned tomatoes and some herbs???

Oh I'm going to sort out some nice veggies and meat to stick in my s/c tomorrow now - you've got me all giddy about s/c cooking again! lol xx

All I did the other day was diced swede, carrot and parsnip with a very very finely diced onion (DD again!!), some new potatoes and put the chicken legs on top. I added a bit of water (about half a pint) and two chicken stock cubes, a bay leaf and that was that! I would add tinned toms but madam moans a bit. The sauce was a little thin but I just served it in a bowl!
The meat just fell off the bone and it was lovely!
I thought about adding a tin of cannelini beans next time instead of potatoes.

Hi there, I've been thinking about getting a slow cooker for a while now, but since joining Slimming World I think I definitely will. Does anybody know the biggest size I can get - I'm the only girl in a house full of hungry males (other half and two sons!!!) Also do you take the skin off the chicken before you put it in the slow cooker? Oh and one more question - what is the difference between a slow cooker and a crockpot? Any advice gratefully received. Ta!
;)

I lost the lid to my slowcooker a few months ago :( But my lovely uncle has just got a new one and is giving me his old one! Yay! :D

It should be here tomorrow i think :D

For friday's dinner I'm planning a beef stew :) -

stewing steak
mushrooms
onions
carrots
potatoes
stock cubes
1/2pt water
and 1tblsp flour sprinkled on top to thicken (syned)

yum yummmmmm

Thanks Jaylou - i think i'll get the one in Netto then if they are all pretty much the same! There is only 2 of us so it doesnt need to be a big one.

Ive just finished eating my dinner and we had chicken, sweede, carrot, red onion, button mushrooms and butternut squash but i cheated and used a Colmans Chicken Casserole sachet and it worked out 3 syns each ;)

Oooohhh ladies, you've got me started, all I've made recently in mine is soup. Going to start on casseroles, chili's etc this week! I make loads and freeze portions, then I have my very own ready meals in the freezer. One of the best inventions in the world ever!

Hi there, I've been thinking about getting a slow cooker for a while now, but since joining Slimming World I think I definitely will. Does anybody know the biggest size I can get - I'm the only girl in a house full of hungry males (other half and two sons!!!) Also do you take the skin off the chicken before you put it in the slow cooker? Oh and one more question - what is the difference between a slow cooker and a crockpot? Any advice gratefully received. Ta!
;)

You can get some big ones, my friends is twice the size of mine!
Yes, take the skin off the chicken first.
This is mine, it's a 3.3l capacity - Tesco, ten pound!
100-2168F_C.jpg

You can get them at 6.5l capacity and they currently have a 6ltr one on there at 25 quid which is pretty good value!

Oh and I have no idea of the difference, think it's all in the name??

Mum just got me the 6L one from Tescos, it's massive! Cooked a whole chicken in there on Sunday. I partly think its too big but then I guess I don't have to fill it to the brim really do I!

Certainly don't! As long as you have enough liquid in there, it'll be fine. I adore my slow cooker, & use it so much.

We've just finished eating the chicken and sausage hot pot out of the one pot book. It's lovely with a bit of plain boiled rice and completely free as I used the Morrisons Eat smart, syn free, diet pork sausages.....phew, try saying all that without your teeth in :p

Just on the freezing portions note - when you re-heat them do you puncture the freezer bag and microwave them?

Yeahbut put them on a plate so they don't spill everywhere, I am also the queen of tupperware, the only problem is I have no idea whether my soup for tomoro is butternut squash and sweet potato or carrot and lentil lol

I bought my one In ASDA a few weeks ago for £7. They still selling them.
It holds 3.5 litres and works great.

I am literally dribbling guy's, lol! Ive got my meat order coming from my butcher tomorrow so I think we'll be having beef stew on sunday, delish!

Back