i miss cake

lilpixiesue

I love cake. With swirly icing. cupcakes, or a big sponge cake with buttercream and jam. I really miss cake. I haven't eaten cake since I started SW about 4 months ago. I daren't! I could eat a whole big cake in one sitting. I once (pre SW) ate 2 of the Tesco rasberry swirly cupcakes one after the other - they are 17 syns each!! :eek:

I have made low syn cakes etc, and while they are nice, they are not Cake cake. If you know what I mean. Any other cake lovers? I just can't ever imagine when I will be able to eat cake again. And not eating cake makes me sad :(

I would eat a cupcake-just 1,on weigh day as a treat. That way u can look forward to it all week :)
I love pastry and when I want it I have to have it tbh tho the wants have come less and less as my weight has come down x

I make a syn free roulade. You can eat as much as you want. Its the closest I have got to cake. Although at a class party someone made a victoria sandwich, it was 6 syns a slice and tasted normal. The downside is I couldnt have one or even two pieces. If I did it would still all be in the house and I would eat it till it gone. It was a huge lovely looking cake x

I make a syn free roulade. You can eat as much as you want. Its the closest I have got to cake. Although at a class party someone made a victoria sandwich, it was 6 syns a slice and tasted normal. The downside is I couldnt have one or even two pieces. If I did it would still all be in the house and I would eat it till it gone. It was a huge lovely looking cake x

could you point me in the direction of the recipe of the syn free roulade? it sounds good :)

Lol I know what you mean, mine is the red velvet cupcakes from morrisons, god they are to die for. Havnt had one since my fat days before slimming world lol didn't give them a thought til u mentioned cupcakes lol!!

When it was my little cousins bday in may, I had a slice of her cake, split it into 2 for 2 days, it was 12 syns a serving so I just had it! Split into two skinnier slices it wasn't too bad lol that's the only time I've had cake. I'm more of a chocolate girl than a cake girl

I love Cake, hence the user name. I do cope ok now, it's been 20 months on sw for me. I do still have cake, not often but I have a smaller portion and try to syn it and I try to compensate by eating more superspeed.

Going without cake forever is not going to happen but having a realistic approach will help you long term. For me it was about learning to have one slice of cake and then to be able to walk away rather than eating the whole cake. It takes some time but you have done so well. Maybe you can syn a monthly cupcake?

oh god do i miss cake!! lol
i used to bake ALL THE TIME with the kids, or juts for me n hubby n i havent once since starting SW and i miss it sooo much!!
cakes, sweet pastries (mainly pecan maple plaits!mmm) .
i know i could have say 1 a week as a treat but i dont think i could stop at 1!
we were at FILs 40th bday n he had a nigella double choc fudge cake as his bday cake and oooommmmgggg was it hard to resist (but i did!! :cool: go me!)
i think i just miss sweet food in general tbh, but yeh mainly cake! i tired making some low syn cakes but they tasted like low syn cakes! lol sweetner just is not the same as sugar!! lol and cake without butter ..eurgh! lol and no quark and sweetner is no match for cream!! hahaha ill just go without and maybe just indulge on special occassions ..will have to be really special though!! :)

could you point me in the direction of the recipe of the syn free roulade? it sounds good :)

In the recipe thread with a couple of slight variations. . I made one last weekend using fromage frais instead of the quark (cos I just don't like the stuff) and it was absolutely delish. .A bit of orange flavour in the FF filling and plenty of fresh raspberries Mmmmmmmmmmmmm

that is my problem with any sweet things...and is the main reason i am fat!

I make an amazing lemon yogurt cake if you want to try and make that? It tastes like real cake. If i remember correctly the whole thing is 62syns so 14 slices at 4.5syns each. Its a huge cake and is super yummy, it's so high in syns due to the fact that it has caster sugar in it, I used 1/2 caster and 1/2 sweetener, you can make it lower in syns by using more sweetener but you need the caster sugar to give the cake density.

Mmmmm i love cake to and think that its cake thats got me where i am today i.e. over weight! I could devour 3 slices in one sitting :eek:

Syn free Roulade as promised

4 Eggs seperated
8 Tablespoons of sweetener
vanilla essence
mixed fresh fruit (eg berries)
250g tub of quark
Greaseproof paper, baking tray - gas mark 4 or 200 preheated oven

Mix egg whites until stiff.
Mix egg yolks with sweetener, 4 drops of vanilla essence and half a tub of quark.
Fold egg whites into yolk mixture.
Put mixture onto greaseproof paper and bake for 10 mins.
Remove from oven and cool for 2 mins, spread remaining quark onto the cake, add the fruit and then roll it up (like a swiss roll).
Can be eaten hot or cold.
You may wish to add sweetener to the fruit if it is tart.

I have a thing at the moment about coffee and walnut cake. I dont like nuts and I dont like coffee cake until now ha ha.

I decided to hit this new addiction straight on and make a Scan Bran coffee cake and have it as a HEB but it must be eaten in one day to be a HEB or you need to syn it. I cooked it, cut it in half and sandwiched it with coffee flavoured quark and then spread the coffee flavoured quark over the top. It was heaven.

I was fine for about 10 days until I went for a coffee on Thursday and saw some delightful coffee and walnut cake. I couldnt resist but did cut it in half and shared it and synned it. Had to struggle with myself not to have a second piece though.

Scan bran cake can be made into various cakes and cooks in 7 minutes in the microwave so a quick fix too.

If I were you I'd just have cake, find one that's within your 15 syns or just over (those 17 syn ones) and treat yourself one day. I have cake, not all the time but I always have my chocolate. There are plenty of cakes which are within our syn allowance though. I personally think if your at the point where you really miss it, then your likely to binge on it if you hold yourself back and don't let yourself have it.

I make an amazing lemon yogurt cake if you want to try and make that? It tastes like real cake. If i remember correctly the whole thing is 62syns so 14 slices at 4.5syns each. Its a huge cake and is super yummy, it's so high in syns due to the fact that it has caster sugar in it, I used 1/2 caster and 1/2 sweetener, you can make it lower in syns by using more sweetener but you need the caster sugar to give the cake density.

Could I have recipe please if no problem? Sounds lush!

Jen x

:)

I'm a firm believer that if you like (or love!) cake, then there is no substitute. Diet Cake is an oxymoron!!!

Be careful with these low syn or syn free "cakes", even the roulade. You can eat the whole thing, it is free, but it consists of about 500 calories. I know we don't count calories on SW but you have to be a bit mindful of such things.

Same goes for Healthy Extra (scan bran or weetabix) cakes, the calories in these things can really add up.

Cake should be eaten as it was intended, in it's rightful cake like state, and synned accordingly. I'd rather have a small slice of real cake and syn it, than a supposedly syn free roulade.

I'm with Jaylou. Substitutes just don't hit the spot and soon clock up the cals, even when they are "free"...

Though I do quite like the all bran curly wurly cake :) x

Lemon yogurt cake recipe for those who want to try it, I really feel it tastes like 'real cake' and as its not the lowest in syns it stops you over indulging.
14 slices at 4.5 syns each.

Ingredients

For the cake:
150g Caster Sugar (29.5 syns)
15g sweetener
50g Flora extra light (4.5 syns)
4 eggs (seperated)
225g 0% fat greek (or greek style yogurt)
Zest of 1 large lemon
175g Self raising flour (28syns)

For the Lemon curd filling:
3 tablespoon sweetener
Rind and juice 1 lemon
2 eggs
50g greek yogurt

Method

Grease a 20cm round cake tin with frylight. Preheat oven to 180/ fan 160/ Gas 4
Beat together sugar, butter and egg yolks, then add lemon zest and yogurt, whisk until smooth.
Fold in flour and whisk egg whites to a soft peak and fold in.
Put straight in the cake tin and cook for between 1-1 1/4hrs or until skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool.

Method for lemon curd filling:

Place a glass bowl over a pan of hot water on the hob. Put Lemon rind and sweetener in bowl and mix together. Whisk lemon juice and eggs together and add to bowl, keep whisking/stirring over heat until thickens, whisk in yogurt. Allow to cool in fridge for an hour.

Cake finish:
When cake cool, slice half way through and spread the curd between the 2 pieces, place top back on and if any curd remaining spread a thin layer on top. Place table spoon of sweetener in sieve and sprinkle on the top

me too I make cupcakes sometimes for people not to sell just for like doing it lol have been asked to have a cupcake stall at a dog show in September its going to be hard work not eating them all lol was going to add some pics of some of the cupcake i have made but thought that would be even worse for you :-( xx

Back