I need a rant!

x Lulu x

Silver Member
I work with a girl who is the same height as me and she is my target weight.

She moans on all of the time about wanting to loose weight and how shes on a diet and eating healthy. She literally talks about food all day. Asking can i eat this? How many calories are in this? Well i can eat this chocolate because i've been good all day then says mmm... As shes eating it!

First of all i'm annoyed that shes moaning abiut her weight when i want to be that weight and i'm 2 stone heavier!

2nd i'm trying to diet and she no's this i do not want to talk about food all day! She makes dieting a million times worse and i find it difficult enough any way. And i'm not a calorie counter if u wana eat it eat it if u dnt then dont why does she need my approval? She really tests my patience and i'm sure one day when i'm hungry i'll snap!

Am i being a bit of a b**** or would anyone else feel the same? Anyway rant over i just felt like i needed to shout that out loud but because i'm at work turned to minimins to rant instead x

People can be so inconsiderate sometimes. My office/room is right opposite the kitchen and people bring in cakes for birthdays etc. that's fine and if I know there's something in there ill avoid the kitchen but my boss (who is in my office/room) comes in, mouth full of cake, nomming and saying how lovely various cakes and pointing out that I'm 'not allowed one'. I always respond with 'I can eat whatever I want, I just don't want it' but he never seems to get the hint. He doesn't do it to be mean to me but he just doesn't think.

I would have a word with her. But put it in a way that she's 'helping' you. Otherwise you may scream in her face one day!! X

I would have a word with her. But put it in a way that she's 'helping' you. Otherwise you may scream in her face one day!! X

Thanks for your advice. Shes a few month older than me but shes like a child. Its honestly like babysitting. Our work mates are quite a bit older than us but they treat her like a child so she continues to act that way, really annoying!

I'm really struggling with slimming world have not managed to follow the plan since i started it in november.

I lost 2 and a half stone with weight watchers last year so am considering going back to where i started i've gained half a stone back! I do think slimming world is great as it teaches you to eat healthy but not sure if its for me. I new if i ate junk on weight watchers i would be hungry later. I might try weight watchers for the rest of the week and see how i get on. I just hate weighing things my mum especially does when shes making tea x

What you are doing, lulu and dreamslim, is perpetuating the situation. They say something, you respond, they keep saying the same thing because they know they will get a response. Round and round you go, until someone breaks the comment/response cycle.

Your response is their reward. So stop rewarding them and there is nothing in it for them. You don't have to get cross, or say something you will regret, all you have to do is stop responding. Say nothing, or say something non-committal. "Hmmm" is a useful response. However, when they talk to you about something OTHER than food, you can respond normally.

What you are doing, lulu and dreamslim, is perpetuating the situation. They say something, you respond, they keep saying the same thing because they know they will get a response. Round and round you go, until someone breaks the comment/response cycle.

Your response is their reward. So stop rewarding them and there is nothing in it for them. You don't have to get cross, or say something you will regret, all you have to do is stop responding. Say nothing, or say something non-committal. "Hmmm" is a useful response. However, when they talk to you about something OTHER than food, you can respond normally.

To be honest, I don't think my boss does it maliciously, I think he just doesn't think. Although you may be right and seeing as my 'no, I don't fancy it' response doesn't seem to work I may just have to ignore the bad behaviour from now on - much like you do with a naughty child. Hahaha.

this can be really frustrating for people and really hinder peoples progress. I have so much admiration for people who can lost multiple stones and keep it off - you are a real source of inspiration to me. I was at the opposite place to you - I didnt have as much as a lot of people to lose. I found that many people were less than helpful when i started as 'i didnt have enough to lose and didnt deserve help (at least thats how i felt they were acting but maybe i was being a bit sensitive)' so although its the different end of the spectrum i can understand how frustrating it can be when people are constantly saying just what you dont want to hear.

And i also know how horrid it is for skinny people to say that they are fat - therefore I am tactful about what i say and supportive of everyone else on here. I help out when I can and suggest recipes etc.

This lady seems to be inconsiderate but she is probably unaware of how much its upsetting you. personally i find it difficult to find people who will talk to me about it and it really helps me to talk things through (maybe why i am such an avid minis user lol) maybe just have a quite grumble over coffee one morning and complain that people are always asking you about syns etc and its exhausting/distracting your focus and you dont want people to think you are a 'diet bore' (i dont think that btw).....she might get the hint and it lets you have a grumble without causing a row!

if you feel SW isnt working for you then by all means go back to what works for you! what is it that you are struggling with? Maybe we can help you give it another try if you have questions?

eat her.

this can be really frustrating for people and really hinder peoples progress. I have so much admiration for people who can lost multiple stones and keep it off - you are a real source of inspiration to me. I was at the opposite place to you - I didnt have as much as a lot of people to lose. I found that many people were less than helpful when i started as 'i didnt have enough to lose and didnt deserve help (at least thats how i felt they were acting but maybe i was being a bit sensitive)' so although its the different end of the spectrum i can understand how frustrating it can be when people are constantly saying just what you dont want to hear.

And i also know how horrid it is for skinny people to say that they are fat - therefore I am tactful about what i say and supportive of everyone else on here. I help out when I can and suggest recipes etc.

This lady seems to be inconsiderate but she is probably unaware of how much its upsetting you. personally i find it difficult to find people who will talk to me about it and it really helps me to talk things through (maybe why i am such an avid minis user lol) maybe just have a quite grumble over coffee one morning and complain that people are always asking you about syns etc and its exhausting/distracting your focus and you dont want people to think you are a 'diet bore' (i dont think that btw).....she might get the hint and it lets you have a grumble without causing a row!

if you feel SW isnt working for you then by all means go back to what works for you! what is it that you are struggling with? Maybe we can help you give it another try if you have questions?

Thank you. I'm really actually good friends with her. Its so fustrating how he talks about being on a diet all morning then talks about how bad she was at dinner time then talks about it somemore. I usually dont even answer her but i feel rude, but really i want to shout at her to shut up.

The problem i'm having is with syns i just cant stick to the daily syns. When i was doing weight watchers i new if i ate junk i starved. Think i might give weight watchers a go for the rest of the week and see if i can stick to it again. I managed to loose 2 and a half stone and only had 1.5 to go but managed to gain half a stone back. Maybe SW isnt for me. I wish it was because i hate weighing things like jacket potato and meat.

Anyway thanks for all your advice, except from eat her! Wouldnt like to think of how many syns that would be haha x

Anyway thanks for all your advice said:
skinny people are free food.

:flirt2:

Hi there, when you say you cant stick to the daily syns, what do you mean. Do you mean that you go over your daily syns, or that you dont have them. I am sure between us all we can help you come up with some strategy to help you lulu. If you want to have more for a weekend say, then you can save a few during the week. Our c told us to start the week after weigh in with 70 syns and work down as you use them. If you really dislike weighing and measuring everything perhaps keeping with S W for a bit longer may help. Everyone on here is so friendly and I for one would love to support you if thats what you would like. :)

Whatever you choose to do good luck with it Hun! Different strokes for different folks, you have to do what suits you best. X

Do you ever watch Mrs Brown's Boys? When she's being forced to be polite she smiles sweetly and says 'That's nice' instead of whatever swear words she's would have shouted at them. I use it now as well. The private joke always cheers me up - and if people guess what I really mean then at least it shuts them up.

Your friend just sounds like she has a little bit of growing up to do - she'll get there eventually, but in the meantime she isn't your responsibility. Maybe just laugh and say 'you're obsessed' whenever she mentions food, then change the subject.

Good luck - don't throttle her!! :D

Back