I really DO mean it this time

Pickle81

Hi everyone,

I'm a serial dieter. I've done every diet known to man (and some rather funky made-up ones, too) and it's cost me a fortune in money (wasted) and, most tragically, it's cost me 15 years (wasted).

At my heaviest I was 23st 11lbs. I joined SW last April weighing 22st 3lbs and lost 6st in 7 months. I don't know what was different.. it was like a light had finally switched on. My partner and I had just lost our second baby together and I was about as low as anyone can get. I had even considered taking my own life. Losing weight gave me something other than my grief to focus on and, as the months passed, I began to feel more alive than I had in many years. In September last year, as my due date approached, I lost all control. Getting a taste for my binge behaviour again, I've pretty much binged off and on since. I've tried WW, Slim Fast and returned to SW countless times since then. Nothing has worked. When I say that, I mean, nothing inside my head has worked. I have been unable to regain the focus I had last year and have gained back 2st of my overall loss. I'm struggling so much now.. that 2st really shows. My clothes don't fit (I was throwing things away as they became too big) and I feel decidedly unsexy. I look old, and tired, and I feel it.

Today I am having one of the famous last ditch attempts.. but.. I really mean it this time. I have decided not to go to a class, or even weigh myself for a while. I'm doing good old fashioned calorie counting and aiming to just move more. I'm going to weigh myself in a few weeks when, hopefully, I'll see a good enough loss to really inspire me to continue.

Though these boards are filled with many motivational, inspirational people.. the journey is somewhat different when dealing with starting weights such as ours. The end goal seems so very far away and it's too easy to become so overwhelmed by how far we have left to go that we forget how far we have already come.

I look forward to being part of your journey, and serving to remind you how far YOU have already come.

Xx

Hi everyone, I'm a serial dieter. I've done every diet known to man (and some rather funky made-up ones, too) and it's cost me a fortune in money (wasted) and, most tragically, it's cost me 15 years (wasted). At my heaviest I was 23st 11lbs. I joined SW last April weighing 22st 3lbs and lost 6st in 7 months. I don't know what was different.. it was like a light had finally switched on. My partner and I had just lost our second baby together and I was about as low as anyone can get. I had even considered taking my own life. Losing weight gave me something other than my grief to focus on and, as the months passed, I began to feel more alive than I had in many years. In September last year, as my due date approached, I lost all control. Getting a taste for my binge behaviour again, I've pretty much binged off and on since. I've tried WW, Slim Fast and returned to SW countless times since then. Nothing has worked. When I say that, I mean, nothing inside my head has worked. I have been unable to regain the focus I had last year and have gained back 2st of my overall loss. I'm struggling so much now.. that 2st really shows. My clothes don't fit (I was throwing things away as they became too big) and I feel decidedly unsexy. I look old, and tired, and I feel it. Today I am having one of the famous last ditch attempts.. but.. I really mean it this time. I have decided not to go to a class, or even weigh myself for a while. I'm doing good old fashioned calorie counting and aiming to just move more. I'm going to weigh myself in a few weeks when, hopefully, I'll see a good enough loss to really inspire me to continue. Though these boards are filled with many motivational, inspirational people.. the journey is somewhat different when dealing with starting weights such as ours. The end goal seems so very far away and it's too easy to become so overwhelmed by how far we have left to go that we forget how far we have already come. I look forward to being part of your journey, and serving to remind you how far YOU have already come. Xx
Hugs for being so open xxxxx You will get there and we will all support you. Take each meal at a time, make sure it's not too fatty and that's it's filling and log it and move on to the next. They will soon add up to a weeks worth of healthy choices resulting in a loss. I weigh daily but log it once a week so I know whether to pull back etc and each time I see the numbers goes down I want more! So I diet harder and it works :) The best advice I can give and what has defo worked for me is 4 pints of water or no sugar squash a day and no eating after 7pm. It gives your body time to digest it all and the weeks I stick to that rule and the water I have had 3,4 or even 5 lbs off. Give it a go if you can, even for a week. I have every faith in team 50, including you, and I'm sure we will smash our goals and some! Xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Thank you for the lovely replies :)

Thus far today I have had:

Breakfast: Tesco instant porridge pot - 210
Lunch: Ham Salad wrap - 315
Walkers hoops & crosses - 85

I'm a dreadful Pepsi Max addict but have recently re-discovered my love of no added sugar vimto squash. I've had 2 large glasses of that and only one of Pepsi Max.

I think the no food after 7pm is a sensible thing to do. We usually have dinner around 5.30pm and the only eating done after that is of the chocolate in front of the tv variety! That's certainly one habit I can afford to lose.

Xx

Thank you for the lovely replies :)

Thus far today I have had:

Breakfast: Tesco instant porridge pot - 210
Lunch: Ham Salad wrap - 315
Walkers hoops & crosses - 85

I'm a dreadful Pepsi Max addict but have recently re-discovered my love of no added sugar vimto squash. I've had 2 large glasses of that and only one of Pepsi Max.

I think the no food after 7pm is a sensible thing to do. We usually have dinner around 5.30pm and the only eating done after that is of the chocolate in front of the tv variety! That's certainly one habit I can afford to lose.

Xx

That's great, you could have a small choc after tea so you don't feel like you are missing out and then you could make weigh day evening your treat day and have what you want. That's what I do. So if I crave anything during the week then I can hold off knowing I can have it on Friday :)

Xx

Came in under my cals yesterday; having only 1135. That's quite miraculous considering a huge row with OH x

Came in under my cals yesterday; having only 1135. That's quite miraculous considering a huge row with OH x

Well done :) remember that having less than 1200 cals too often can put you in starvation mode.

But, that is amazing willpower if you have had a row! Hope things are better today xxx

Can totally relate to being a serial dieter and ive joined the 50 club too. We'll all do it this time :)

Hi Pickles, can relate to everything you said in your initial comment, think most of us are yo-yo dieters I know I am, since I was 17 I've been up and down, now at nearly 50 its time to pull my socks up, stop complaining, I only have myself to blame and time to get a grip of myself!! So we're here every step of the way with, I'm doing the calorie counting route too........so good luck and stay focused :) xx

Pickles - apologies for jumping in : )

Am I reading right that you're around the 18st mark? If so, you really need to be setting your calories higher - around 1600 a day at least. To do less is to set yourself up to fail. As you lose weight you need to reduce calories accordingly and by starting low you give yourself no room to reduce.

I'm a calorie counter myself and started off in may 2011 weighing over 15 stone and size 18. I hit target last September and now maintain at around 9 stone 5 and size 8/10 - by calorie counting and no white carb eating!

Anyway just an offering of some advice... Try not to go too low too soon and try not to think in terms of rewarding yourself with food anymore. This worked for me and continues to work.

GretaGrip said:
Pickles - apologies for jumping in : )

Am I reading right that you're around the 18st mark? If so, you really need to be setting your calories higher - around 1600 a day at least. To do less is to set yourself up to fail. As you lose weight you need to reduce calories accordingly and by starting low you give yourself no room to reduce.

I'm a calorie counter myself and started off in may 2011 weighing over 15 stone and size 18. I hit target last September and now maintain at around 9 stone 5 and size 8/10 - by calorie counting and no white carb eating!

Anyway just an offering of some advice... Try not to go too low too soon and try not to think in terms of rewarding yourself with food anymore. This worked for me and continues to work.

Yes, that's absolutely right, start high and reduce gradually if you have a lot to lose, or it won't be sustainable in the long term. All the best. :) xx

Thank you both for your advice :) i know I should be on higher calories but, for me, I find it easier to have 1400 per day but not count the calories in my veg (other than potatoes/parsnips/sweetcorn/peas) so every meal is loaded with veg or salad. I know some may frown on that but it just works for me; i love veg and would never dream of restricting it so i just lower my calorie allowance beforehand. Does that make sense? Lol

Yesterday's total was 1470.. Hungry day! Xx

Im following ww points most the veg is free and most fruit. I dont go to class u can find out points on websites. But im also in same discussion with bf im given 46 ppints a day and bf thinks i shud lower it or i wont loose weight. Keep telling him the point is as i get thinner the allowed points will drop but oh well. X

Men always have a different perpective on things lol, have to admit I'm abit like pickle in that I restrict my points abit lower than I should but its what suits me and I'm happy with it, I also use some of the points for the weekend, so in some respects it does even itself out abit :)

i think your all doing great pickle welcome to the board everyone here is great you will do it this time if you feel you cant come on talk do not give up we all have a lot of weight to lose and know wot the others are feeling so pull up a chair get comfy and enjoy the journey xxx

hi pickle how are you today x x

Back