I started the gym last night...

princessnicky

But today my legs are killing me! Standing up, bending down and going on the stairs are a killer and i feel like im legs are going to fall off! Lol.

Does anyone think i should go today? Or have a rest? I dont think i would b able to manage the squats i have to do, or the 300 steps on the stepper, but should i try??

Xx

Bets thing to do would be to go on the bike and do some light leg exercises. This will help loosen up the muscles. Doing a full work out every day could damage the muscle xx

If you're in real agony then I would have a rest day, take ibuprofen for the pain and stretch the really bad muscles 2 or 3 times during the day to loosen them up a bit, but don't stretch just before going to bed. You can cause damage by training sore muscles and I'd rather take a day off than cause an injury and have to take more time off.

Did you get any advice from the staff there? I would have thought that any decent gym would insist on at least an induction, and would give you a programme to work to to try and work yourself into it. It seems like you might have overdone it a little which has caused you pain and is in danger of putting you off.

I think a rest day is probably wise to let your muscles recover. If you havent already - get in touch with the gym and see if they can give you some guidance on a sensible programme to start with and how you can build on that. If they cant help, I'm sure theres beginners gym programmes you can google to give you some ideas.

Thanks guys

Mandy - It was my induction, and he made me a workout to help with back problems. Im just sooo unfit, and i havent done any exercise in years. Ive never been good at doing squats ( i think this is what killed me) and he gave me exercises to do to stetch my hamstrings as they are so tight ( i cant even touch my toes! )

Thanks guys

Mandy - It was my induction, and he made me a workout to help with back problems. Im just sooo unfit, and i havent done any exercise in years. Ive never been good at doing squats ( i think this is what killed me) and he gave me exercises to do to stetch my hamstrings as they are so tight ( i cant even touch my toes! )

Oh okay then, its a pity it seems to have been quite tough for you, perhaps if you go back and explain how its affected you he might tone it down a bit. 300 steps on a stepper seems quite a tough start for a beginner. But bear in mind - it should hurt a bit the next day, it shows its working, but not so much that you struggle to move! I think its in their interest to make it challenging, yet achievable - if they make it too hard for you they will put you off coming back and they'll lose clients (and money!) that way.

Did he advise you on rest days at all? They can be a very important part of any training regime, especially when you are starting out

Nicky stick at it. I passed out at my gym induction, a combination of being unfit, just having had a baby and low iron but i kept going and i'm now a bit of a gym junkie. It really helps with the weight loss.

If your in alot of pain i'd say give it a miss but equally a bit of light exercise and stretching might do them good.

xxx

Back