I used to turn to food for comfort - what now?

goingtobeskinnysoon

Silver Member
I'm having one of those days where in the past I would have turned to food to comfort myself and 'solve all my problems', or at least distract myself and I'm not really sure what else to do and could do with some advice.

SW is going well and I don't want to ruin it but I'm having a tough time with my anxiety issues and feel upset, distressed and confused and all I want to do is throw myself into a takeaway. But part of me doesn't, part of me wants to go no, you can handle this another way, but I just dont know what that way is. Would really appreciate any ideas x

Write everything that is going on in your head down somewhere, a diary, a blog, whatever. Get it all out of your head and give yourself a bit of emotional distance from it. Then once you have done that, go make a cup of tea or something and relax while you drink that, and make concious efforts to calm yourself down. Once you have done that, you can go back to your writing and try and sift through the bits of your brain that are causing you grief at the moment one by one, to work out why and what they are doing it for. Challenge yourself productively to tackle each bit one at a time. Dont try and overload yourself and dont read ahead and reload all the different issues back into your brain at once.

Hugs, I know exactly how you feel.

I'm having one of those days where in the past I would have turned to food to comfort myself and 'solve all my problems', or at least distract myself and I'm not really sure what else to do and could do with some advice.

SW is going well and I don't want to ruin it but I'm having a tough time with my anxiety issues and feel upset, distressed and confused and all I want to do is throw myself into a takeaway. But part of me doesn't, part of me wants to go no, you can handle this another way, but I just dont know what that way is. Would really appreciate any ideas x

I don't know if your anxiety would allow you to possibly....go for a walk/swim? Pamper yourself a lttle bit? Take a bath paint your nails? Go for a massage? Cook yourself some nice sw friendly foods?
Sending you hugs x

and in the meantime make yourself an SW legal style takeaway and if you want a green or an original day there is such a lot you can do.

I would feast on SW style Kentucky style chicken, a huge pasta dish with a wonderful, tasty sauce of tomato, basil and cheese with a liberal amount of black pepper. SW quiche springs to mind too as does SW style egg and chips or just a huge plate of SW style chips with oodles of salt and vinegar. How about a big, big, jacket spud with tuna, sweetcorn and extra low fat mayo.....................the list is endless and just think how fantastic you will feel tomorrow because you stayed within plan.

If you want something sweet stir an option drink powder into a fat free yogurt.............very special with the mint or orange one or answer those cravings with one of the wonderful Shape rhubarb or apple tart yogurts................

You can do it...........go for it girl !!!!

Have you got a friend you can call and talk to? I ALWAYS used to turn to food when things were good or bad, it is poart of the reason I am now losing weight.

I am trying very hard now to talk to people when I feel the need to turn to food, the other thing that helps is to go for a walk, if I still want food when I get back I allow myself something small.

Thanks guys. Even just writing it down like that helped. Really appreciate your thoughts.

You know, I've thought about writing it down before MLM but never actually done it. It's like I'm scared about all the crazy stuff that's going to come pouring out and sometimes im just not sure where to start in unravelling it. Will try that tomorrow if I can, surely it's better on paper than going round and round my head right?

I'm a really private person and don't like sharing this side of me with ppl. They all see me as really strong and forthright and the stable one and I find it hard to let my weaknesses show. I've opened up a little bit to one friend in a light hearted way and it did really help, but I think really I just don't want to burden anyone with my 'craziness'. OH is brilliant but it's hard on him as he tends to walk on eggshells when he knows I'm feeling low and it's not good for either of us.

It's weird, I've handled this for so long and I know it'll pass but it's difficult when ur in the middle of it. Treating food as some kind of solace is just stupid but it just feels like it numbs the pain a bit.

Thank you all, your kind words have really helped x

Hi there! Im not a sw-er (have snuck in from cc) but I think the whole issue of emotional over eating is one anyone on any diet can sympathise with. I know it has a lot to do with my weight issues. I think writing it down can help hugely. I keep a private journal and find it helps. It does help to stop it going round in your head and while you say its scary thinking about what you might come out with, it can actually be really helpful to find something you had never even realised was bothering you.

Exercise is also a massive help for me. I enjoy doing some form of exercise after work now as it helps me to de-stress, relax and gives me that time as well to work through things that might have bothered me that day.

It is hard but stay strong. Knowing youve stuck to your diet in the face of it all is a massive achievement!!

Back