ideas for mussels?

CheeseGirl

Gold Member
I did something I've never done before, I bought some pre-cooked, shelled frozen mussels (just the meat bit) and I have no idea how to use them in a recipe. The internet so far hasn't given me anything interesting. Does anyone use these and if so, how do you make them? Thanks ;)

I love mussels and use them often... curried mussels are nice. In a stirfry on a PV day. Are they in their shells? If so simply through them in a pot of boiling water with a low fat stock cube... delicious ;)

The important thing if you're heating them is just enough to warm them, overcooked as with shrimps/prawns the become bullets. If you like peppery tastes, paprika sprinkled over is good.

i eat them with salmon & prawns on PP days sometimes with cottage cheese... or bung them in a fish pie

If you fancy something quick and delicious, this is what I did with mussels in my student days.

Finely chop onions and peppers, saute them until soft. Throw in some finely sliced chillis and crushed garlic and cook a little.

Add a tin of chopped tomatoes, season. Once the tomatoes are bubbling, add the mussels. Heat through for about 2mins.

Voila! 6minute sauce you can have with pasta, a potato or with a chunk of bread.

Enjoy.

I bought a huge bag of mussels from Farmfoods, i just take a few out to defrost. I fry them with prawns with a bit of ginger garlic and soy sauce

I love mussels but haven't had any since starting Dukan as part of the enjoyment was the creamy white wine sauce and huge quantities of bread I used to have with them :eek:. These ideas all sound lovely, I have to start having them again!

Back