1/2 packet (125g) Instant Mash
2 small onions, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
1tsp thyme
Mixed herbs
1 tsp Schultz “spicy season all”
*option 4 tbsp. apple sauce 4syn/4=1syn each

Method

Chop up an onion in a mini chopper, add 125g of Instant Mash to a bowl and add the onion, mixed herbs and hot water and mix to bread dough consistency. Place in a fridge for at least 1 hr.

Lay out a sheet of cling film on a flat surface and place the mixture to it and cover over with a top layer of Clingfilm, using a rolling pin, rollout until about
4-6mm thick. Cut to the width you want for the rolls.

Chop the carrot, onion, thyme, mince & spices, in a mini chopper to form a paste. Season with salt & pepper, *add the apple sauce if required

Peel back the top layer of Clingfilm and add a layer of meat then, using the Cling Film roll the mash to form a tube with the meat inside, seal the joint and egg wash, repeat with the remaining mix, return to the fridge to chill. Remove when ready to cook, allow returning to room temperature, egg wash again.

Grease a flat tray with Fry light and place the rolls on it and egg wash again, place in a hot oven on 200c for 25 mins and browned.

Sainsbury’s per roll=< 1 Syn Tesco’s per roll Free Ee

Attachments

• Sausage roll-1 (Large).JPG
    Sausage roll-1 (Large).JPG
    208.1 KB · Views: 223
  • Sausage Roll-2 (Large).JPG
    Sausage Roll-2 (Large).JPG
    200.5 KB · Views: 169
  • Sausage Roll-3 (Large).JPG
    Sausage Roll-3 (Large).JPG
    254.2 KB · Views: 153
  • Sausage Roll-4 (Large).JPG
    Sausage Roll-4 (Large).JPG
    289.4 KB · Views: 285
  • Sausage Roll-5 (Large).JPG
    Sausage Roll-5 (Large).JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 250
Hi Debs84
I have found a recipe in the SW extra easy cookbook pg 92, the picture in there looks lovely and I alway want to try but didn't know where you could get free lean pork mince. I shop at morrisons and they don't have it there.

Penne with rich pork and tomato ragu

Serves 4
Ready in 30-35 mins
Ragu can be frozen
**Free on extra easy

1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
1 red chilli, deseeded (optional) and thinly sliced
1 tsp ground cinnamon
794g/1lb 2oz extra lean mince pork
198g/7oz cherry tomatoes, halved
400g can of chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp concentrated chicken stock
8 tbsp finely chopped basil
salt and pepper to taste
397g/14oz dried penne or rigatoni pasta
chopped basil leaves, for garnish

1. Stir-fry onion, garlic and red chilli in a non stick frying pan over a medium heat for 2-3 mins
2. Add cinnamon and pork mince and stir-fry for 3-4 mins. Add the tomatoes, stock and chopped basil. Bring to the boil. Season well, cover tightly and cook over a low heat for 20-25 mins.
3. While sauce is cooking, cook the pasta according to packet instructions. Drain and return to the saucepan. Pour over the meat sauce. Toss to mix well, garnish with chopped basil.

Thanks guys!!

I got my pork mince from Sainsbury's - it's there Organic free range one. It is coming up as 2syns for this mince. It's extra lean, I thought all extra lean mince is free?! Thanks again, x

Thanks guys!!

I got my pork mince from Sainsbury's - it's there Organic free range one. It is coming up as 2syns for this mince. It's extra lean, I thought all extra lean mince is free?! Thanks again, x

You can't get much extra lean mince any more - no extra lean lamb is available and only a little extra lean pork. Beef is quite easy to get hold of though. To qualify as being Extra Lean it has to be less than 5% fat so check on the back. If you're not sure just post the nutritional info and someone can calculate it for you.

They did a News thing a couple of weeks ago:

"Recent research has shown that extra lean lamb, pork and turkey mince is no longer readily available in supermarkets.

If you come across a Food Optimising recipe that uses one of these extra lean minces and you’re unable to get hold of it, we recommend that you ask your butcher to mince very lean meat for you (with no skin if it’s poultry) or you mince your own at home. This way you can guarantee it’s Free!

Our database currently shows that there are no packs of extra lean lamb mince available in UK or Irish supermarkets and only the following turkey and pork mince:

Tesco Healthy Living Pork Mince, chilled, 500g pack
Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference Free Range Turkey Mince, chilled, 500g pack

Fortunately extra lean beef mince is still readily available in all the major retailers."

Source.

Our database currently shows that there are no packs of extra lean lamb mince available in UK or Irish supermarkets and only the following turkey and pork mince:

Tesco Healthy Living Pork Mince, chilled, 500g pack
Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference Free Range Turkey Mince, chilled, 500g pack

Source.

Can anyone confirm if Tesco Finest Pork mince is free? as I have noticed that it is actually lower in fat than the healthy living option?

Tesco finest :

Typical Values 100g raw as sold contains -
Energy 485kJ (115kcal) 0kJ (0kcal)
Protein 20.7g -
Carbohydrate 0g -
Sugars 0g -
Fat 3.6g -
Saturates 1.3g -
Mono Unsaturates 1.6g -
Polyunsaturates 0.5g -
Fibre 0g

Healthy Living (Free) :

Typical Values 100g raw as sold contains
Energy 535kJ (130kcal)
Protein 21.0g
Carbohydrate 0g
Sugars 0g
Fat 4.7g
Saturates 1.8g
Mono Unsaturates 1.9g
Polyunsaturates 0.6g
Fibre 0g 0g

Can anyone confirm if Tesco Finest Pork mince is free? as I have noticed that it is actually lower in fat than the healthy living option?

Tesco finest :

Typical Values 100g raw as sold contains -
Energy 485kJ (115kcal) 0kJ (0kcal)
Protein 20.7g -
Carbohydrate 0g -
Sugars 0g -
Fat 3.6g -
Saturates 1.3g -
Mono Unsaturates 1.6g -
Polyunsaturates 0.5g -
Fibre 0g

Yep, that one's coming up as Free. :) Can you still get it? Someone should tell SW and/or buy the entire shop full :D

I've just checked Tesco online and it's half price until tomorrow (Oct 2nd) - £2 for 500g!

Back