Ideas for Red please

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by WillowFae, 22 July 2009 Social URL.

1. WillowFae

WillowFae Gold Member

Start Weight:
    17st3lb
    Current Weight:
    11st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st6lb
    Lost(%):
    6st2lb(35.68%)
    Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    Okay, so I have a veg problem. Apart from baked beans, peas, and leeks I don't like veg on its own. I need to have it with a gravy or a sauce or something. Leeks is the only one of those I can have on a red day for free so this is a problem.

If you are having a red day what do you have with your meat? Do you use an HEXB or some syns on potato/pasta/rice? Do you just have salads? Do you have veg and if so what and how is it served?

I have a Bird's Eye Piri Piri Chicken Chargrill in the freezer which I fancy but what do I have with it? In a previous life it would most likely have been baked beans and chips or mashed potato. Somehow gravy with a chicken chargrill doesn't seem right!!

I think I just need some inspiration.

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. henna!

henna! I can do this............

Start Weight:
    14st3lb
    Current Weight:
    11st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st13lb
    Lost(%):
    2st6lb(17.09%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    I love those peri peri chargrills and i normally have them with a jacket potato or make wedges as a hex b. But sometimes i make stuffed peppers with quark and anything i have around like onion, mushroom tomato courgette. I mix it all up and stuff into the pepper then grate some cheese on top as hex and pop it in the oven! Yum!

4. WillowFae

WillowFae Gold Member

Start Weight:
    17st3lb
    Current Weight:
    11st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st6lb
    Lost(%):
    6st2lb(35.68%)
    Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    I'm trying to avoid potatoes at the moment but I hadn't thought of the stuffed peppers idea. Will have to try that!

5. Madferret

Madferret Mad as a Hatter

Start Weight:
    12st10lb
    Current Weight:
    12st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Dukan
    There are lots of veggies that you can have on a Red day..

Artichoke
    Asparagus
    Aubergine
    Curly Kale
    Endive
    Fennel
    Leeks
    Mange Tout
    Marrow

There are loads more in your Food Optimising book - you can have them roasted, stir fried, steamed

Hope this helps

Tracy

6. Mrs V

Mrs V Loves Life!

Start Weight:
    21st7lb
    Current Weight:
    12st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    9st2lb(42.52%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    With my veg, if Im doing a roast, I will have 2tsp Tesco gravy granules at 2 syns. I will eat any veg then! Lol.

7. WillowFae

WillowFae Gold Member

Start Weight:
    17st3lb
    Current Weight:
    11st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st6lb
    Lost(%):
    6st2lb(35.68%)
    Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    Yeah, the problem isn't so much what I can HAVE but what I like and the way I like them.

8. WillowFae

WillowFae Gold Member

Start Weight:
    17st3lb
    Current Weight:
    11st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st6lb
    Lost(%):
    6st2lb(35.68%)
    Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    LOL! I'm similar with gravy. But like I said, gravy with a chicken chargrill doesn't seem right.

9. poppyowner

poppyowner Silver Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    I only do RED days. If I am having a Roast I have Cauliflower/Broccoli/Carrot (frozen veg mix from Tesco (70p a pack)) with Gravy and 2 Yorkshire Puds ( 2 syns each). OR If having tin Stewed Steak I will have tinned Green Beans and Tinned Carrots. Also I have a salad daily mixed with synfree Kraft Light Italian or French Dressing, my salad involves some meat (Ham, Chicken etc) and a bag of salad mix or stir fry mix, cuc, radishes, tomatoes, onion, celery, hardboiled egg.
    I miss sweetcorn and baked beans in particular and the amount you get for a HEB is soppy!
    How many syns are the Peri Peri Chargrills each?
    I also use potatoes as so versatile - mashed (with skins on), wedges, chips, etc
    Also Bubble & Squeak is good if you are using HEB for Potatoes.

Jill

10. StaceyUK

StaceyUK Gold Member

Start Weight:
    18st1.6lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    My staple red day fare is either broc & cauli mashed with Laughing Cow Light from your A allowance or I'll do a squash mash with a little fromage frais or sometimes squash & swede mash (usually when I'm doing a shepherd's pie or similar) with Greek 0% and a bit of cheese on top.

I also try and do a lot of stuff with hidden veg like a chilli or bolognese with grated carrot & grated courgette, chopped up mushrooms, etc to just hide it in there!

I also use 5g of Flora Extra Light (1/2 syn) on things like sprouts (with salt & pepper), babycorn or asparagus to make them more palatable.

11. jaylou

jaylou Gold Member

Butternut squash is my stalwart on a red day (and on success express), you can have it mashed or roasted and it's super - have you tried this? It's superfree!

Why not make a bit of an italian style sauce for your veg - tinned tomatoes with some herbs poured over courgettes for example is lovely and would go well with your chicken chargrill. I use this type of sauce a lot as I'm not a fan of gravy but like a bit of sauce (ha ha!!)

12. WillowFae

WillowFae Gold Member

Start Weight:
    17st3lb
    Current Weight:
    11st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st6lb
    Lost(%):
    6st2lb(35.68%)
    Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    Thanks, there are some good ideas. Hadn't thought of mashing cauliflower and brocolli.

Chilli and Bolognaise would be difficult without pot/rice/pasta etc

13. WillowFae

WillowFae Gold Member

Start Weight:
    17st3lb
    Current Weight:
    11st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st6lb
    Lost(%):
    6st2lb(35.68%)
    Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    No, I don't like Butternut squash :(

14. jaylou

jaylou Gold Member

I have a huge bowl of chilli or bolognaise on it's own! Just have lots of it and bulk it out with veg - you don't miss the carbs (well, I don't anyway!)

15. Desperate to lose weight

Desperate to lose weight Full Member

Start Weight:
    17st8lb
    Current Weight:
    17st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World - extra easy
    I like to have steamed brocolli and cauliflower with cheddar melting on top (1 HEa), it's yummy.

16. WillowFae

WillowFae Gold Member

Start Weight:
    17st3lb
    Current Weight:
    11st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st6lb
    Lost(%):
    6st2lb(35.68%)
    Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    True. I'll have to see if my local tesco still sell minced chicken or turkey. I'm trying to cut back on red meat for cholesterol reasons.

17. Minders

Minders Finding inspiration

Start Weight:
    17st9lb
    Current Weight:
    14st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st7lb
    Lost(%):
    3st4lb(18.62%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I often have a bit of salad cream to dip my veg in. It's unusual, but quite tasty. Just remember to syn it.

18. Avatar

MiniMins.com Advert

19. StaceyUK

StaceyUK Gold Member

Start Weight:
    18st1.6lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Tesco sells minced turkey. Or if you have a food processor, you can just blitz up turkey or chicken breast in there.

I agree that a bowl of chilli or bolognese is very filling on its own as long as you bulk it out!

Or you can do a chicken & veggie curry and serve it over cauli 'rice' (grate some cauliflower, stick in microwave bowl, cover and microwave for about 3-5 mins). Almost as good as rice!

Of course, you could just do Extra Easy days and have the pasta or rice with your meat but make sure to get that veg in there somewhere too.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.