Ideas for 'safe' treats while on Slim & Save

Lord LuLu

The list of 'allowable' drinks (ie no calories and no citric acid so unlikely to affect ketosis) over on the Exante board includes Tesco still spring water with a taste of strawberry. This is really nice as it is but I have just struck on the idea of making it into an ice lolly using a plastic ice lolly mould. Great for the warmer weather (last week!).

I know that the point of a meal replacement diet is to not eat anything other than the meal replacements but if you fancy a treat and don't want to come out of ketosis or affect the calories too much then another thing I have been having is a particular version of pork scratchings believe it or not! Golden pork crunch are 0.1g carbs, 6g of fat and 141 cals per (fairly large) packet. Not something to be had every day but a nice treat that won't affect ketosis and hasn't affected my weightloss, I believe the definition of a VLCD is under 800 cals a day so even adding in the occasional golden pork crunch would still keep me on a VLCD by definition.

I know - it's madness! They are not like traditional pork scratchings, they're lighter, almost like a very crunchy quaver but the main ingredient is pork rind. They are VERY nice and it really helps me to have a treat and a crunchy one at that! 0.1 carbs is per 100g and the bag weighs 30g so it's even less carbs. Haven't got the bag in front of me but from memory they are mainly protein 70g per 100g if I remember rightly.

Sent from my iPod touch using MiniMins

I used to buy the Golden Pork Crunch from Avidlite when I did a low carb diet, I really liked them

Info copied from the Avidlite website:
Pork Crunch, 30g bag Ref: ALK003Z
Porch Crunch from Green Top Snacks - seasoned pork rind (scratchings), lightweight easy-to-eat crisp and crunchy savoury snack LESS THAN 0.03g CARBS per 30g bag (lightweight). High protein. Foil wrapped for freshness.

Texture is like a crispy puffed potato/maize snack, but without the carbs!

Nutrition info per bag - 142 kcal (not relevant on Atkins), 21.3g protein (good), less than 0.03g carbs, 6.3g fat, of which 1.2g saturates.

Ingredients: Pork Rind, Salt, Rusk (wheatflour, water, salt, raising agent (E503), artificial colouring, hydrolysed vegetable protein, dextrose, colours (E150c, E160c, E160b), anti-caking agent (E551).

Contains glucose syrup, soya, gluten, yeast extract. May contain traces of milk, egg, fish, mustard, celery.

Back