Ideas for syns other than chocolate & crisps?

MummyJoJo

When I think of syns, I think chocolate or crisps. I would like to try and avoid eating these, especially chocolate, as it's my major downfall. What bits do you have as syns that I could have at home? I'm starting tomorrow so want to be organised or I'll fall at the first hurdle!!

Tomato ketchup

Gravy :)

2 of my favourites

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins.com

I tend to divide my Syns between things which will make my meals nicer and treat items. As the others have said, this covers things such as gravy, Mayo/salad cream, ketchup, Yorkshire puddings, Danio yogurts, cooked fruit, decent cheese sauce, extra bread etc. for nicer meals. Treat items may include cake/biscuits, wine and similar things.

Like you, chocolate is my downfall - I find the easiest way to manage it is to have wrapped items such as a minibar of Green and Blacks and to immediately follow it with a drink or a clean of the teeth to distract my taste buds! I also have no-chocolate days because I don't want to get back into the habit of chocolate every day.

I think sometimes, though, avoiding a trigger food completely can make a craving worse. I used to regularly eat around 6 bars of chocolate a day before starting SW, often more. I now have a small bar of chocolate every day, usually a Freddo, and savour every mouthful. Just a thought.

(notso)lardylady is right, but I see what you mean. I'm 3 months into the plan and also avoid chocolate and crisps, but I haven't banned them. I know I can eat them if I really want to using my syns, but not doing so has really helped me get into the habit of choosing fruit over chocolate, even if I have syns left. It just depends on the person really. If you try not eating chocolate/crisps and find yourself really missing them, don't feel bad if you do decide to make it a daily treat.

I know you said one's that aren't chocolate, but what about drinks, like hot chocolate? I have a hot chocolate pretty much every day, and mix it with skimmed milk which I use as my healthy extra a. So it's 2 syns for a Cadbury Highlights hot chocolate, and you're getting your calcium!

There are other soft drinks like J2O, which are typically 3.5 - 4.5 syns per bottle.

I tend to use a lot of my syns in my meals. I'm awful at cooking rice, so just use packet rice to go alongside my homemade curries, which is typically 3-4 syns. Other food items would be butter for my jackets/mash, WeightWatcher sausages (just 0.5 syns per sausage).

Syns really are supposed to be something you enjoy though, so I wouldn't recommend using them for the sake of it. There will be plenty of things you enjoy which contain syns that before Slimming World, you'd enjoy with your meals (e.g. naan bread, gravy, yorkshire puddings), so maybe just think of those too?

Last edited:
Back