Ideas for wholegrain pasta..

laurenmay

Gold Member
I eat whole wheat brown pasta, and wanna start having some for lunch in work with roasted chicken breast chopped up. Only problem is I expect this will be super dry! Does anyone have any ideas that are low cal and low fat as to make this dish not a dry one?

I know there's plenty of pasta sauces out there, but most are pretty high in calories. Only decently low one I've come across so far is WW which comes in rocket and mozzarella or roasted garlic and herbs - and their 50 cals for half the jar.

Apart from pasta sauce, I can't think of anything else to mix with the chicken and pasta to take the dryness away?

Hi!

I use some tinned chopped tomatoes and some mixed herbs ..... Yum! X

Completely agree with chopped tomatoes. Sometimes I also just use a chicken stock cube, unfortunately it won't be creamy but it takes a lot of the dryness away!

Aren't there quite a few calories in chopped tomatoes too though? I'm not a tomato fan, don't mind sauces or juices of tomato flavour but hate the actual things! x

In the whole can there's probably quite a bit but if you just use a tbsp to add a bit of flavour to the pasta there should only be about 17 cals. Also, you could try mixing up a stock cube (don't add too much water) then add a tbsp of low fat creme fraiche (this should be around 15cals)

Tesco value pasta sauce is 44 cals per half jar. I find a quarter of a jar (only 22 cals!) is enough for a portion of pasta. I have it on whole grain rice too. Plus it's only 39p.

Maybe a teaspoon of olive oil (obviously has quite a few cals, hence a teaspoon ;) ), a drizzle of balsamic vinegar, and some herbs? Maybe adding some veg would make it less dry?

Stitchy said:
Maybe a teaspoon of olive oil (obviously has quite a few cals, hence a teaspoon ;) ), a drizzle of balsamic vinegar, and some herbs? Maybe adding some veg would make it less dry?

I might have to invest in some balsamic vinegar, what are the calories like in it? I'm not usually one for flavourings and sauces hence all the q's!

Babana said:
Tesco value pasta sauce is 44 cals per half jar. I find a quarter of a jar (only 22 cals!) is enough for a portion of pasta. I have it on whole grain rice too. Plus it's only 39p.

I just had a peek on the tesco website, and the tesco value pasta sauce is 39p but it says there's 32 calories in a quarter of the jar?

If you're eating it cold there are plenty of low calorie salad dressings, usually about 10 - 15 cals a tablespoon.

I'm not a salad dressing fan either, such a fish eater! Think I'll try WW pasta sauce and see how that tastes. Thanks everyone for your help!

Back