If you know you're going to over-syn you have two options :)

Amelie24

I've noticed that people feel really upset (including me to begin with) if they have too many syns in a day but you really don't have to be. You have two options- the first you will be sticking to Slimming world plan, the 2nd involves a deviation from plan:

1. Is to have a 'Flexible syns' day where you allow yourself 20/25/30 syns and forget about it the next day

2. The second and my favourite way is if you know you're going to have too many syns in a day e.g. if you're going to have a 20 syn brownie or go to McDonalds just switch and count calories for the day and it works just as well! You need between 1000 and 1500 calories per day to lose weight, a syn is roughly 20 calories :)

xx

Last edited:
When I joined group we got these little bits of paper with 105 boxes all numbered (the amount up to what sins your allowed in a week) and since then I've been paying much more attention to what I have each week instead of each day but sometimes I'll have next to nothing! It's a very good visual aid, too...I find it quite comforting to see all the boxes I still have unmarked!

FaithFluro said:
When I joined group we got these little bits of paper with 105 boxes all numbered (the amount up to what sins your allowed in a week) and since then I've been paying much more attention to what I have each week instead of each day but sometimes I'll have next to nothing! It's a very good visual aid, too...I find it quite comforting to see all the boxes I still have unmarked!

That's cool. I prefer weekly syns so this would be a good way to keep on track.

Oh I didn't think about weekly syns- thanks guys!!

Although you could still lose weight on 200+ syns per week if you had less free foods and more superfree but I guess that's going against the plan a bit!

xxx

I've noticed that people feel really upset (including me to begin with) if they have too many syns in a day but you really don't have to be. You have two options

1. Is to have a 'Flexible syns' day where you allow yourself 20/25/30 syns and forget about it the next day

2. The second and my favourite way is if you know you're going to have too many syns in a day e.g. if you're going to have a 20 syn brownie or go to McDonalds just switch and count calories for the day and it works just as well! You need between 1000 and 1500 calories per day to lose weight, a syn is roughly 20 calories :)

xx

Im afraid I will have to disagree with you on your second statement, as that's not following the SW plan, we dont count calories!

Oh I didn't think about weekly syns- thanks guys!!

Although you could still lose weight on 200+ syns per week if you had less free foods and more superfree but I guess that's going against the plan a bit!

xxx

Its not going 'against the plan a bit', its not the SW plan at all! Please be careful on what you say, as some 'newbies' may take this literally as they're not familiar with the plan & it may confuse some people as well. Im sure you said it 'tongue in cheek', so just a bit of friendly advice x

Its not going 'against the plan a bit', its not the SW plan at all! Please be careful on what you say, as some 'newbies' may take this literally as they're not familiar with the plan & it may confuse some people as well. Im sure you said it 'tongue in cheek', so just a bit of friendly advice x

Yeah that's fine, it works for me- as I've had times where I've over-syned but had a low calorie intake and still lost but I guess one of the things people enjoy is not having to count calories on Slimming World- it's just that people seem to think things like pizza etc should never be eaten again because their syn-load is too high but really you could eat a whole pizza and less for the rest of the day and still lose weight.

I used to have an eating disorder so need to not view any foods as bad foods and sometimes if a food is very high in syns then I start to see it that way.

I think though now that I know you can count weekly rather than just daily syns I'll do that instead!

xx

Yeah that's fine, it works for me- as I've had times where I've over-syned but had a low calorie intake and still lost but I guess one of the things people enjoy is not having to count calories on Slimming World- it's just that people seem to think things like pizza etc should never be eaten again because their syn-load is too high but really you could eat a whole pizza and less for the rest of the day and still lose weight.

I used to have an eating disorder so need to not view any foods as bad foods and sometimes if a food is very high in syns then I start to see it that way.

I think though now that I know you can count weekly rather than just daily syns I'll do that instead!

xx

The whole ethos of SW is healthy eating & a lifestyle change. Nothing is 'banned', but obviously the higher calorific foods will have a lot of Syns & have to be eaten with that in mind. Reference the weekly syns, it works for some, but not for others, so you just have to see what works for you.

Don't forget the majority of what we view as 'unhealthy' foods, can be made into a SW version i.e pizza, curries, chinese etc. I've made loads of meals that I love, all SW friendly, but you just need to use your imagination sometimes & adapt.

Good luck with SW

The whole ethos of SW is healthy eating & a lifestyle change. Nothing is 'banned', but obviously the higher calorific foods will have a lot of Syns & have to be eaten with that in mind. Reference the weekly syns, it works for some, but not for others, so you just have to see what works for you.

Don't forget the majority of what we view as 'unhealthy' foods, can be made into a SW version i.e pizza, curries, chinese etc. I've made loads of meals that I love, all SW friendly, but you just need to use your imagination sometimes & adapt.

Good luck with SW

Thanks :) I'm enjoying it so far and have made some very low syn chinese meals and curries- which can be just as good as the real thing! For pizza I'll try weekly syns

Thanks :) I'm enjoying it so far and have made some very low syn chinese meals and curries- which can be just as good as the real thing! For pizza I'll try weekly syns

Have you tried making your own pizza with a smash/cottage cheese base & then a choice of your own SF toppings with cheese.......delicious, syn free with Hex's of cheese?

kim63 said:
Have you tried making your own pizza with a smash/cottage cheese base & then a choice of your own SF toppings with cheese.......delicious, syn free with Hex's of cheese?

I love SW pizza! I'm gonna have a green day on Saturday so I can have one.

No I hadn't heard of that, I'll give a try, thanks! :)

Back