Ilfracombe.............pregnant teenager statue

fillymum

synful soul
I would love to hear what other people think about this statue which is now in the harour at Ilfracombe. It is by Damien Hirst.

Personally I can not see what connection you can make between the subject matter and Ilfracombe. To me it just looks like shock tactics to bring people into the town .... not a bad thing to get visitors in and spending money but a pregnant teenager!!

damien-hirst-verity-pregnant-woman-devon.jpg

quote........................

IT'S been called every derogatory word you can think of outrageous, immoral, bizarre, offensive, distasteful, embarrassing, grotesque, disrespectful, insensitive, inappropriate, a monstrosity, tasteless, ugly, vulgar and not in good taste.
But still the council has agreed to let this sculpture take pride of place on the idyllic British coastline at Ilfracombe.

Damien Hirst’s Verity statue is a pregnant teenager holding aloft a sword.

She’s naked. She’s made of bronze. On one side her skin is smooth. On the other side it has been peeled back to reveal bones, muscles and even breast tissue. Verity is 20 metres tall and weighs 25 tonnes

Other side of the statue.................

_63516789_statue.jpg

I can appreciate the workmanship but still do not see the point of it.

I don't see the point of it either. I agree, it's very detailed and must have taken a lot of time and effort, but I just do not get it :confused:

I think there is a place for things like this. In an exhibition maybe but I don't think this adds anything to the surroundings!

I like the 'other side' but not in Ilfracombe!!!

In Southampton we have a wood carving of a rosebud/ hip, it looks like a giant penis to me!

The reason that it is in Ilfracombe is that Hirst lives near there, owns galleries and a restaurant and a workshop in the town, and has been involved with the regeneration of the area, giving quite a lot of time and money.

The statue is on a free 20 year loan, with very little cost to the Council. Hirst has even paid for the extra CCTV cameras that the Council thought would be necessary.

I don't like it much, though!

Ive been to Ilfracome a few times as we love Woolacombe Bay down the road , I would not go to see the statue though Im not keen

Back