I'm a rubbish cook - help!!

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by Marie_D, 8 July 2009 Social URL.

1. Marie_D

Marie_D Gold Member

Does anyone have any really seriously simple (syn free or low syn) recipes for the following....

Bolognese sauce (for spag bol)
    Chilli sauce (for chilli con carne)
    A 'creamy' curry sauce (for chicken curry)

Some people did give me some excellent chilli recipes on another thread a while ago, but I can't find it :eek:

I have absolutely no cooking skills at all - I made bolognese from scratch once before and it really just tasted like mince in tomatoes, haha - so any help would be GREAT!!

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. RubyMoss

RubyMoss Silver Member

Start Weight:
    11st12lb
    Current Weight:
    11st10.9lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st4lb
    Lost(%):
    0st1.1lb(0.66%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I'm not that great a cook myself, but I've been experimenting recently, particularly with my bolognese sauce! :)

I usually use Passata, just Asda's own, and then add all my vegetables myself, such as peppers, onion, courgette, mushrooms, plus garlic, and I even add some Chilli powder (or flakes) because I like mine spicy! Add that with Wholewheat pasta and Extra lean mince, and I'm sure it's relatively healthy! (fingers crossed!)

:)

4. Marie_D

Marie_D Gold Member

I've never used pasatta before - will have to get some in for next week to try. Thanks :)

5. RubyMoss

RubyMoss Silver Member

Start Weight:
    11st12lb
    Current Weight:
    11st10.9lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st4lb
    Lost(%):
    0st1.1lb(0.66%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I like it because it's realllllly smooth, so I can bulk it up with the things I like ^_^

6. Donnie46

Donnie46 Slow but sure....

Start Weight:
    22st0lb
    Current Weight:
    19st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st7lb(11.36%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World - Green Days only.
    Have you looked in the recipe site above......there are loads of recipes there, I'm sure you'll find something there too, good luck with your cooking. X

7. Sallyannie

Sallyannie Full Member

Start Weight:
    14st11lb
    Current Weight:
    13st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st12lb
    Lost(%):
    1st9lb(11.11%)
    Diet:
    Slimming world
    the spinach and sweet potato curry is really easy to make and really tasty my current fave thing :)

8. elizabeth

elizabeth Silver Member

Start Weight:
    19st1lb
    Current Weight:
    8st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st10lb
    Lost(%):
    10st4lb(53.93%)
    Diet:
    No diet, just healthy eating
    I also use passata for Bolognese sauce, just add your preferred mix of vegetables, some basil and/or Italian seasoning and let it cook down until it's a nice thick sauce. I don't even bother adding Quorn mince to it anymore, I just love the veggie sauce so much!

Unfortunately I've yet to find a way of making a 'creamy' curry that doesn't involve .... cream. :D I've tried adding natural yogurt, fromage frais and Quark, but it tastes rather sour and just isn't the same consistency. So now for a really special occasional treat I just add a couple of tablespoons of proper cream, and syn it. Yummy.

9. Iris

Iris Full Member

Start Weight:
    16st6lb
    Current Weight:
    8st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st8lb
    Lost(%):
    7st11lb(47.39%)
    Diet:
    Calorie counting (also known as relentless self-denial)
    I'm a lousy cook, too. When I want something quick, easy, low cal and delicious with my pasta, I just slice up a load of vegetables - red and white onions, leeks, plum tomatoes, carrots, and some garlic... then I stick them in a large frying pan and add enough boiling water to cover them, with a spoon of vegetable bouillon powder for flavour. Then I let them simmer for a couple of hours on a low heat until all the water has evaporated and I'm left with what's basically a rich, thick vegetable jam. The sweetness is gorgeous and it's really lovely with pasta.

If you're feeling racy, you could just cook off some quorn mince with some low cal spray and add it to the vegetable jam, maybe with some passata and tomato puree and reduce it a bit more, and you'd have a spag bol. For extra flavour remember the old herbs - basil and oregano.

10. judimac

judimac Mad old Bat with Attitude

Start Weight:
    14st5lb
    Diet:
    WW
    I find low fat creme fraiche good for a creamy taste, low syns too.1.5 for a level tblspn 2.5 per ounce.

11. Circes

Circes Strutting her stuff

Start Weight:
    17st12lb
    Current Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    7st5lb(41.2%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    This is from another board so I can't claim any credit but I've made it for friends who aren't veggies and they thought it was great.

Serves 4 hungry people (with seconds!)
    1. Put chicken (i used 4 medium sized breasts and counted 1 as a HEB) into a roasting dish and whack it in the oven til cooked. Once done chuck it on a board or plate to cool.
    2. While it's cooling fry an onion and some garlic in frylight.
    3. Add 4 level tablespoons of curry paste (i used tikka masala) and stir.
    4. Once the paste and the onions are all mingled together add half teaspoon ground cumin, coriander and garam masala
    5. Then add some passata
    6. Stir it all together (add some water to get the sauce to the consistency that you like) and turn the heat down to a gentle simmer.
    7. Go back to the chicken and shred it by hand. Not into tiny pieces but bitesize ones then add the chicken to the curry.
    8. Leave it to simmer gently for about 15 mins
    9. Turn off the heat and add 1-2tbsp (depending on how creamy you like your curry) of very low fat fromaige frais, stir in gently.
    10. Serve with rice.

12. minime2

minime2 Maintaining!!

Start Weight:
    10st12lb
    Current Weight:
    7st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    7st12lb
    Lost(%):
    3st0lb(27.63%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    This is what we had tonight for a really quick tea, i call it vegetable chili. 1 bag frozen mixed veg, 1 carton or jar of Passata, tin baked beans, tin red kidney beans, Put everything into a saucepan with some chili powder and any herbs and spices you like, serve on a bed of rice. it was yummy

13. Emz118

Emz118 Desperate to be slim!

Diet:
    Slimming World
    Here's my chilli recipe... nice and easy to make.
    Good with rice or jacket potatoes, or even on toast!

This makes 2 huge portions, or 3 normal size. You could probably get 4 out of it if you wanted. The half syn is for the tomato puree, which is then split between however many portions, so it's negligible really.

400g Lean steak mince
    1 onion
    1 clove of garlic
    1 tbsp tomato puree
    1/2 - 1 tsp hot chilli powder (to taste)
    1 tsp cumin
    2 tsp coriander
    2 tsp paprika
    400g can chopped toms
    400g can kidney beans
    leftover baked beans (I use whatever's there, but about half a can is good)
    5-6 medium mushrooms
    Rice (75g per person)
    Fat free From Frais or Nat Yog

1: Chop the onion and fry in frylight in large frying pan. Tip into saucepan.
    2: Fry the mince in the same pan, then drain in a sieve over the sink to get rid of excess fat. Add to onion.
    3: Grate in garlic, then add spices and tomato puree. Mix well.
    4: Tip in the baked beans and chopped tomatoes.
    5: Rinse the kidney beans and add to pan.
    6: Chop and add mushrooms to pan. Stir together well.
    7: Leave on a low heat with a lid on while the rice cooks to develop flavours.

Serve chilli on a bed of rice.

Sometimes I find this a little hot for me. To cool it down, I serve with a generous dollop of FF From Frais or Nat Yog. Yummy!!!

cocktailprincess likes this.
  14. Sallyannie

Sallyannie Full Member

Start Weight:
    14st11lb
    Current Weight:
    13st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st12lb
    Lost(%):
    1st9lb(11.11%)
    Diet:
    Slimming world
    Have you bought any of the magazines they normally have some good recipes in, One thing slimming world has done for me is made me enjoy cooking some thing i had never done before!

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.