I'm making this, syn free?

Hello everyone

I'm just on my first week of slimming world so still finding my feet a bit. I've never been a cook so have been reading recipes with interest and going to have a go at making quiche. I've took ideas from several threads and this is what I'm going to make and just wondered if anyone could kindly tell me if it's free?

Fry light mushrooms, onions and peppers
mix 3 eggs with natural fat free cottage cheese and with a cooked and cooled packet of bachelors pasta'sauce cheese and broccoli flavour
line dish with Quorn ham slices and pour in mixture
cook for 20-25 mins

actually I've just realised I may need to count some syns for the pasta and sauce as don't think that flavour is free

how ow does this sound? Xx

Lol, yes I was going to say check the pasta sauce, I'm not 100% sure all fat free cottage cheese if free either, but if it is syned it won't be too high, otherwise sounds fab.

Not sure on the syns in the pasta n sauce but you dont need that anyway is you want to miss it out

Sounds nice - I've never made small ones lined with ham but my mum has and they're lovely

Hi GTD and welcome to Minis. I agree with both the above responses but just wanted to add - I have made the quiches with both cottage cheese and also with Quark, which is Syn Free. Of the two, I much prefer using the Quark, as it produces a much smoother, creamier quiche, as opposed to cottage cheese. Whenever I use Quark though, I always use my HEX B in it, as cheese as, Quark on its own isn't too wonderful (personal opinion, of course) but it does absorb other flavours brilliantly. I grate mature or extra mature Cheddar into it, reserving some of it to grate over the top. It ends up golden and tasty and, if I take it into work, I usually lose some of it, as my colleagues are always nicking bits, saying how tasty it is! :)

You can add just about anything to the quiches and, one of my favs is, salmon and dill but, the sky's the limit so get creative! Hope you enjoy it! :)

Kathy x

Hi there...i'm quite sure the cheese and broccoli pasta 'n' sauce is 0.5 syns also the chicken and mushroom is free...the ham, cheese and leek one is 1 syn per pack which is still really good!
I would use quark as well...but i am a huge lover of quark, not everyone is :)

Just looked online

Batchelors Super Pasta n Sauce Cheese & Broccoli, excluding milk & butter , 123g pack FREE

HTH

Last edited:
Hi GTD and welcome to Minis. I agree with both the above responses but just wanted to add - I have made the quiches with both cottage cheese and also with Quark, which is Syn Free. Of the two, I much prefer using the Quark, as it produces a much smoother, creamier quiche, as opposed to cottage cheese. Whenever I use Quark though, I always use my HEX B in it, as cheese as, Quark on its own isn't too wonderful (personal opinion, of course) but it does absorb other flavours brilliantly. I grate mature or extra mature Cheddar into it, reserving some of it to grate over the top. It ends up golden and tasty and, if I take it into work, I usually lose some of it, as my colleagues are always nicking bits, saying how tasty it is! :)

You can add just about anything to the quiches and, one of my favs is, salmon and dill but, the sky's the limit so get creative! Hope you enjoy it! :)

Kathy x

I've tried it with the Quark as well. I prefer it with the cottage cheese (with chives) but I like to mash the cottage cheese up so its not as lumpy. Its great if you can get hold of the Longley Farm fat free cottage cheese as its smoother and creamier

I make one big one and put my ham in the mixture. The Tesco value tinned ham is lovely in it (free and cheap!!) though its salty so watch any seasoning!

I sometimes part cook a bag of steam fresh microwave veg and stick that in too - though fresh brocolli chopped up small is my fave. And I love red onion in it - ooh the variations are endless!

And I always put slices of tomato on the top

I've tried it with the Quark as well. I prefer it with the cottage cheese (with chives) but I like to mash the cottage cheese up so its not as lumpy. Its great if you can get hold of the Longley Farm fat free cottage cheese as its smoother and creamier

I make one big one and put my ham in the mixture. The Tesco value tinned ham is lovely in it (free and cheap!!) though its salty so watch any seasoning!

I sometimes part cook a bag of steam fresh microwave veg and stick that in too - though fresh brocolli chopped up small is my fave. And I love red onion in it - ooh the variations are endless!

And I always put slices of tomato on the top

Can sieve the cottage cheese to remove the lumps, if you like! :D Still prefer Quark though (like strawberry shortcake - wish she didn't have such a delicious sounding name! Set me off now! Strawberry shortcake - mmm, yum!). Can't stand Quark on its own but, as I mentioned before, it's brilliant at absorbing the flavours of other ingredients so the taste of the actual Quark is totally disguised! :)

Liking the sound of Jen's red onion! Might have to pop to Sainsbury's this afternoon!

Kathy x

Can sieve the cottage cheese to remove the lumps, if you like! :D Still prefer Quark though (like strawberry shortcake - wish she didn't have such a delicious sounding name! Set me off now! Strawberry shortcake - mmm, yum!). Can't stand Quark on its own but, as I mentioned before, it's brilliant at absorbing the flavours of other ingredients so the taste of the actual Quark is totally disguised! :)

Liking the sound of Jen's red onion! Might have to pop to Sainsbury's this afternoon!

Kathy x

Ha ha yes I've sieved it before too though its a nightmare as the bits of chive get stuck in the seive and its a git to clean lol

How did it go?

I put the large quiches in a big flatish dish to cook so its more spread out - and it still takes ages to cook!!

Am going to try muffin sized ones as will be quicker

Last edited:
If I'm using cottage cheese I drain off any excess liquid then blitz it with the hand blender - no lumps and no faffing about with a sieve!

Back