I'm new to this, so any help/advice/support appreciated!! :)

Emssiiee

Hey everyone...
I'm fed up of always being the chubby one in my group of family and friends, have been since I was about 12. I've never actually tried a proper diet before, only ever just tried to eat healthier, so I've decided to try slimming world as I know quite a few people doing really well on it! I'm a (very) poor student and can't afford to go to the classes, so I found an old SW book of my mums (From the early 90's lol, but it does the job!), did lots of reading on the internet and am giving it a shot by myself! So if I syn anything wrongly or am not doing anything quite right please let me know :)
I have been doing this a week, but its not done too great so far... the first few days went really well, but I had an all you can eat Chinese on Thursday, and a whole tub of Ben & Jerrys in the past few days (Definitely cringed when I found out how many syns it is, won't be having that again!).
I'm hoping that having to tell people what i've been eating will help keep me on track!

Ok, so heres yesterday, I'll post today's later on!

Red Day
Breakfast: (I woke up too late to have any!!)
Lunch: 2 rashers of bacon with the fat cut off, and a slice of fried bread done in frylight (HEB)
Dinner: Diet coke chicken with salad and half a pack of noodles (3 syns)
Snacks: Strawberries with fat free natural yoghurt :) And what was left of my Ben & Jerrys (Loadsss of syns!! :( ), but at least its all gone now so can't tempt me any more!

Also, quick question... I've heard people say about saving up syns so they can have a night out boozing/dinner out/tasty treat... can you do this? I don't really see how it can work?!
xx

Ok, I don't think anyones read this but nevermind, updating anyway to help keep myself on track! :)

Saturday: RED
Breakfast: Scrambled eggs & two bacon rashers
Lunch:Home-made free tomato soup, followed by strawberries and natural low fat yoghurt
Dinner: Breaded fish fillet (7 1/2 syns), salad and 2 slices garlic bread (5 syns)
Syns: 12.5

Sunday: Green
Breakfast: Slept in too late for breakfast!! (I'm allowed, it's a sunday! :p)
Lunch: Pasta with tomatoes and herbs
Dinner: Breaded fish (7.5syns) and SW Chips
Snacks: Strawberries
Syns: 7.5 :)

So far today:
Breakfast: Muller light & Strawberries
Lunch: I was at uni and it was chucking it down so I had to buy from the café, oops!... Coronation Chicken sandwich (Any ideas of syns with bread as HEB!?), back of cheese and onion walkers (9syns)
Dinner: Going to go make a small jacket potato with beans now I think... presuming I have some beans in the cupboard!! :)

Also, I lost two pounds in my first week, yayy!

Hi there,

Congrats on your first week's loss. :D

I've been doing SW for just over a month now, it's given me a new lease of life.
Some of the things you ask are very sensible and not necessarily explained in the books. I do go to group every week and find it's really worth it just for the camaraderie, support and having someone there to answer any questions (although Minimins is great for that too :))
I've found that the money I'm saving from not buying fast food, sweets etc more than covers the amount needed for group.

Are you familiar with the Extra Easy plan?

This is a fairly new plan which has been introduced if you want to have protein and carbs in the same meal. The conditions of this are that your plate has to have at least 1/3rd superfree (fruit and veg) food on it and that you're only allowed 1 HExA and 1 HExB per day. It could be worth trying for a bit more variety, especially if you start getting bored with your red /green days.

About saving the syns, you are right in saying that you can't see how it would work. The consultants advise against "saving" syns but there is something they refer to as flexi syns whereby if you know you are going to go over your syn allowance you set yourself a max (say 50 syns for example) and try to stick to it, then write that day off and start again the following day, allowing yourself the normal 5-15 syns. I did this over the Easter weekend and still managed to lose 3 lbs. I had a big blowout on Saturday too so will just have to wait and see what affect it has on the scales. I think it's all about realising that it may have an adverse affect and taking it on the chin if so. We can't be saints all the time can we?

With regard to the sandwich you ate I think you're only allowed to use the bread as HExB if it was wholemeal / nimble/ ww's etc.
One level tbsp of coronation chicken sandwich filler is around 1.5 syns, but some sandwiches can be up to 30!

Keep at it, we'll get there in the end :)

Thanks guys :)
Whatttt, 30 syns for a sandwich!! :O thats pretty crazy, it was wholemeal bread though, even if its still synned, its gotta be better than white! :)

Andrea, I have heard about the extra easy plan, but i've been trying to eat healthily for a while by myself and it sounds very similar to how I was eating anyway and wasnt really losing so thought I might have more success trying the red/green!

Sooo, heres the last few days food...

Yesterday:
Breakfast: Muller light mint and chocolate (soooo good!)
Lunch: co-op healthier choice chicken salad sandwich... I don't even like sandwiches but they seem to be becoming a common theme!! I'm just not organised enough to make something to take into uni the night before! Apparently this isn't a bad one though at 7.5 syns with the bread as a HEB
Dinner: Jacket Potato with beans and sweetcorn.

Today (Not so good!)
Breakfast: Muller light & strawberries
Lunch: Bf took me to Nando's.. theres loadsss of threads about nando's on here, but I couldn't find the syns for the chicken wrap.. apparently the hot marinade is 1/2 syn, wraps are generally about 6 syns and a couple for the chicken so maybe 8/9 syns? didn't go for the healthy option and had chips though (11syns :( )
Dinner: will probably a kiwi, as i'm still pretty stuffed from lunch!
I figure about 20ish syns for the day... not too bad for a meal out!
:)

Heyy...

Yesterday was a pretty good day, except the sun tempted out the inner alcoholic in me!! :p Enjoyed a Kopparberg in the sun sat next to the marina, was soo nice!

Breakfast: muller Yoghurt
Lunch: Tuna Pasta (Syns?)
Dinner: Prawns (HE), onion, mushroom, spinach and a blob of garlic and herb philli light (HEA)
Snacks: Kopparberg Strawberry & Lime (12syns)

Weighed in this morning and Yayyy, I lost another 2lb :D Just another lb to go and i'll be in the 10's! determined to have a good week now to get there!

Hi Emssiiee,

Good luck with SW - I'm finding it a really good way to get weight off, without starving myself! I'm not someone who 'diets' usually, but got a shock when I saw my holiday photos...

I'm new to this site and have to say that the recipes and support on here are invaluable.

Enjoy it :)

Heyy, thanks MisterQ... i've never really dieted before either, but so far i'm really enjoying SW as I can pretty much still eat what I want, just in moderation and still lose weight!!
Lost 4lb so far in two weeks and I think thats the most weight i've ever lost! haha! :)

Hii, I've not had a good few days! :( at all!!
Dissertation handed in yesterday, so its been a realllly stressful weekend!

Had a pizza on saturday night, to celebrate having lost 4lb... probably put it back on again! boo!
Sunday was good but I had a few more drink than i should have. :(
On Tuesday I went to a friends for tea, she made lasagne, chips and salad, followed by chocolate brownie! =/ Apart from that was a good day though!

Today's been good:
Breakfast: None... was first day in 2 weeks i didn't have to get up at 7 to work on dissertation, so I slept until 12!!!
Lunch: Went to lunch with friends to celebrate the end of uni... so I went for an option which worked with the diet :) Jacket tatie with beans!!.. felt proud of myself!
Dinner: Veggie Stir Fry.. Noodles (6syns).
Snacks: Strawberries, yum!

Definitely glad to be back on track today! :)

Red Day:
Breakfast= muller light yoghurt & Strawberries
Lunch= Tomato Soup + 1 slice brown bread (HEB)
Dinner: Yummy Salmon with green beans and sweetcorn!! :)

Thanks Emmaline, feels good to be back on track, but really hoping it doesn't make me gain this week.. boyfriends taking me to London for 2 days on tuesday so thats bound to be a bad couple of days too!

After two good days, im back off track again :(
Had a chocolate frappucino in starbucks :( (12 Syns) and a muffin (19 syns)

Apart from that its been good though:
Red Day:
Breakfast: Jordans Frusli Blueberry cereal bar (1.5 syns)
Lunch: Tomato Soup + 1 slice bread (HEB)
Dinner: Salmon with Stir fry veggies.
Snacks: Banana, Starbucks Frappucino (12syns) & Muffin (19syns)
Total= 32.5 syns :(

This is becoming too much of a habit, I really need to kick my bum into gear and learn to say no when i'm offered something tasty!!

WI today... Didn't expect to lose, due to the amount of rubbish I've eaten this week, but I still did, yayyy! Even if it was only 1/2lb! lol! Better than nothing! :)

So Far today i've had
Breakfast: Jordans blueberry cereal bar (1.5 syns) and a Banana
Lunch: Veggie Omelette... I've never made an omelette before but it was tasty!
Dinner: None yet, but think i'm having a pork chop with broccoli and cauliflower.
:) yayy for a good day!! Hopefully nothing tasty will tempt me later... I've got strawberries in the fridge ready for any sugar cravings that might try!!

Had a good day today :) Had a treat but still managed to stay within my syns!!

Breakfast: None, slept all morning!
Lunch: Chicken pasta salad (HE)
Dinner: Pasta with broccoli, sweetcorn and mushrooms :)
Snack: Chocolate Éclair :) (13syns)

Okk, had a fab few days in London but gone wayyyy off plan :( in the space of 4 days i've had, nando's with ice cream after, all you can eat chinese, an indian takeaway, an indian microwave meal, a mini tub of Ben & Jerrys, too much alcohol, a blueberry muffin, a full english, a greggs, a mcflurry and I think, thats about it!! Phew, glad thats off my chest but looks even worse written down! :(

I forgot to weigh in this morning (not that I really want to), so don't know what damage I've done.. can't decide whether to weigh in tomorrow instead, or just wait till next week!!

Sooo.. Yesterday I started again. Gonna try forget about it and just get on with the next week.
Friday: Red:
Breakfast: Bacon & Beans
Lunch: Was kinda in with the breakfast.. ate about 11.30!
Dinner: BBQ Sweet chilli chicken skewers x4 (4syns) with brocolli.
Snacks: Muller light mint yoghurt, Lots of strawberries!
Syns: 4 :)

Saturday: Kinda bad again :( Red.
Breakfast: Mint Muller Light, Slice wholemeal toast (HEB) with philli light.
Lunch: Went out.. again.. my housemate moves out next week so we made the most of our last weekend together with a shopping trip and lunch out! No idea of syns but this is what I had:
Starter: Duck Rolls
Main: Mo'Bay Chicken.
Dinner: None!!

Last edited:
I braved it, and weighed in this morning! Somehow, despite me having the worst possible week i've lost 1/2 a pound! :) Yayy!

Gonna try really stick to it this week now, in the hope it doesn't catch up with me next week instead!!

Hi Emssiiee,

Keep at it - I'm in a real 'up and down' phase at the moment, but that's all down to me. Always struggle if out for a work lunch, peer pressure is a toughie, but am getting much better at resisting beer....okay, sometimes :)

Every half pound counts...you can do it!

Thanks MisterQ... Haha, Beer's always a temptation!! :p

Soo, today I have had:
Breakfast: Eat Natural Cranberry, Macadamia and Dark Chocolate Bar (11 syns) :( I didn’t find this out until just now, or I would not have eaten it, or even bought it!!
Lunch: Co-Op Healthier Choice Egg and Cress Sandwich. Bread as HEXB (8syns)
Dinner: Pasta with veggies and Bacon (HEB).
Syns: 19 :( Rubbishh Againn!

Wow, just realised how long it is since i've been on here!! Had a crazyy busy week full of exams so probably not stuck to plan too well! :(
And I put on a pound last week :( Booo!

Today I've had:
Breakfast: Jordans Counrty Crisp Strawberry Cereal (6 1/2 syns!!)
Lunch: Muller Light, Banana & a Country Garden Chewy Muesli Bar (Anyone any idea how many syns are in these, i cant find them anywhere!?)
Dinner: Jacket Potato, Tuna (HEB) Mayo (2syns) and sweetcorn, with salad.
Snack: Options hot chocolate (2 syns)
Syns: 10 1/2 :)

I'm moving home to my parents on Saturday... gotta find a way to persuade my parents they wana do slimming world so I don't have to cook all my own meals!!! :p

Back