I'm new too! *DISCLAIMER- may require tissues when reading*

Hi there new friends!

My name is Emily-Rose, I'm 27, I LOVE food, and I joined Slimming World about a month ago with a start weight of 12st 6lbs (Im a diddy lass at 4' 11") So far I have lost 5lbs, which seems like nothing when I go to group and hear how some people lose that in a week (!) but even starting my weight loss journey was such a huge step that I know each lb off is an achievement.

I've joined minimins for two reasons:
1) whenever I search for quark/scan bran/general recipe queries, minimins is always what pops up on Google first
2) This is all so blinking hard, and feels such an impopssible task. My weight gain is linked to so many factors - an ankle imjury that stopped my dance career, the onset of long term anxiety depression - and even accepting it was so difficult for me, so losing the weight is even harder. I know if I want my life back I must do it, but right now I could really do with some support and encouragement from some lovely people who are going through it and/or have come out the other side.

I hope you don't mind me spilling my guts out, but being honest with myself and others is the only way I think I can make this a change for life.

Looking forward to making some new friends,
ER xxx

Welcome EmilyRoseC:welcome2:

I have moved your thread to the Slimming World forum here so that you will get more attention and if you need anything be sure to ask.

Good to have you join us!

Well done on your weight loss:happy096:

Hello :)
Welcome to Minimins. This site has been a god send for me and i hope it helps you too. Good luck! x

I've been in SW for almost 8 weeks now, and I have lost a total of 15lbs. I started out more or less the same weight as you, so it can be done!! People lose weight at different rates, but maybe show us what you have on a typical day and we might be able to help you with managing the weight loss better :eek:

Good luck Emily. We all lose weight at different rates but as long as its coming off then you are doing the right thing. You will get to the weight you want to be.

I've been in SW for almost 8 weeks now, and I have lost a total of 15lbs. I started out more or less the same weight as you, so it can be done!! People lose weight at different rates, but maybe show us what you have on a typical day and we might be able to help you with managing the weight loss better :eek:

Ok, so here does with the last few days of eating:

Saturday (a day I teach all day)
Brekkie: 2x whole meal bread (HE) with lean grilled bacon, little gem lettuce and reduced salt/sugar ketchup (1syn)
Oops: cake sale at work.... Choco chip cookie (god knows!)
Snacky lunch at home: chicken noodle mug shot (free)
Dinner: Ate out at harvester. Diet Pepsi Peri peri chicken skewers, no sauce jacket potato, peas and salad with 20cals dressing-mustard overload! Resisted the amazing looking sundaes (pat on the back for me)
Exercise: 3 hrs teaching

Sunday (out and about with OH)
Brekkie: bacon sandwich as above
Snack: a teeny square of homemade Victoria sponge slice at the car boot, and a black coffee
Lunch on the go: 2x packs of Melba toast with smoked Wensleydale cheese (HE)
Supper: pasta with roasted peppers and tomatoes, watercress, fat free fromage frais and 4 tbsps grated Parmesan
Pud: 2 mini milks (1.5 each)
Exercise: 2 hours wandering round the car boot and 1.5 hr walk with dog)

Monday (day off)
Breakfast: 2 x plain oatso simple, made with half semi skimmed milk, half water, sweetener, grated apple and frozen raspberries...quite tasty actually
Snack: seriously craving chocolate so allowed myself to go to the corner shop and get a teasers bar
Lunch: panicking after having the chocolate bar, so a tomato pasta mug shot
Exercise: walked the dog roughly 1hr
Plan for supper: chicken fillets stuffed with a slice of lean bacon, then steamed in a parcel with leeks, mushrooms and stock, new potatoes and green veg

OH and I are also going to join the gym at a local private school up the road today, which has a pool and fitness room. my weakness is sweet foods and when I get a craving, my whole jaw aches. Hence why I thought it better to allow myself the chocolate, go for a walk and move on.

So far my sweet saviours have been: sugar free jelly whisked with free yoghurt, and mini milks/skinny cow lollies. I tried the SW idea of mixing highlights with quark and found it disgusting! I did wonder whether for the same syn value I could just have whisked in melted chocolate?! I'd love any other ideas though

I also have a really bad habit of waking up in the middle of the night, unable to sleep and going straight to the kitchen! Basically I eat if I'm bored, tired, or miserable (which when you factor in my depression can be quite a lot of the time)

So there you have it.....advise away xx

Hi hun! I think you need to go back to basics, plan your meals, make sure you are weighing and measuring everything you should be, and make sure you are getting your superfree foods in at every meal if you can.

There seems to be a lot of synning going on that you are not counting properly and it all adds up. And I take you are doing Extra Easy? Then you need to look at your healthy extras and make sure you are not overdoing them. For instance you had smoked cheese on sunday and counted that as your HEA (not sure it is tbh but was it weighed? how much did you have?) but then you had parmesan as well so if you already had your HEA that would need synned,on top of the cake, melba toasts (half a syn each so how many in two packs?), ketchup and mini milks). And on monday you had two Oatso Simple (sachets?) - the sachets are not healthy extras any more and it was only ever one for a HEB. There's over ten syns there if you had two sachets of plain porridge, more if you had flavoured..

And although superfree is not mandatory it will definitely help fill you up and perhaps stop you snacking so much in between meals.

Just a few thoughts you might want to consider. Most important thing is not to let it get you down. With a bit more planning it will be much easier to stay on plan :)

Last edited:
Hi Emily C and a big huge welcome to minis from me too! You will see me pop up all over the place, a bit of an addict on here! As has been said before we all lose weight at different rates. It certainly can be done, I myself was slightly heavier than you when I started, actually 12st 10lb. I joined s w in Jan 2011 and got to target in the November. I have been at target for 18 months now it is so doable with s w. You will have every support, encouragement, and help on this great site. We are all here to help each other.I would also say, plan, plan, and did I mention plan. And like has also been said, superfree is so good to snack on, and to fill up with. Melon and strawberries are particularly good as they are superspeed which boosts your loss. Good luck on your journey, you have done well to lose 5lbs, please dont be disheartened by others losses, we are all different. I lost 1/2lb week after week, but got there in the end, and you will too. :) :)

Welcome, EmilyRose - you couldn't have joined a friendlier or more inspirational group than Minimins. I started SW, this time round, at about the same time as you and have also lost 5 pounds up to now. The other couple of times I did it I lost that in the first week so not sure why it's different this time round. However, I'm not disappointed as I'm now viewing this as a change for life and am just glad the weight is moving in the right direction! : ) I must say this group has helped immensely, as I don't feel I'm doing this alone and there are so many fantastic meal ideas - I've actually rediscovered my love of cooking and we're eating meals that are much more adventurous than before! Like Hollys Nan, I think I'm addicted to Minimins and hope you will be too. : ) x

Hi EmilyRose and welcome to minimins. With regards your food diary I'd echo what is said above - you need to really make sure you're checking what your hexs are and weighing them, plus adding in some more super free and really keeping an eye on syns. It's the sneaky syns that do it :) I don't mind when I have syns on purpose but I'd hate to have them accidentally! 14 weeks in and I still keep a food diary, it keeps me on track

I agree with Patchwork hun, you need to have a sit down and read through your books or even this site and refresh your memory about healthy extra's and syns. Don't get caught out by hidden syns x

Oh sorry! I'd missed patchwork's post.

The diary thing I find really hard.... I can't get on with the ones at SW because my writing is too big, and I always get confused when I try their online version.

Ohhhh....now I feel really rubbish.

A symptom of my depression is that I find it really hard to focus and concentrate. I think one of the reasons I get caught out is that my head physically cannot take all the working out :((((

You don't need to feel rubbish :) you're taking the right steps in the right direction, you wouldn't expect to pick up a new dance straight away, sorry for the bad analogy.

I know just how difficult it can be to function properly during depression but if you write down what you eat you won't have try to remember everything - just write it down as you eat it and review at the end of the day. I treated myself to a lovely notepad from paper chase to use as my food diary so I wasn't carrying those scraps of paper round.

I used to eat so much rubbish but since starting sw and eating loads of super free my mood has been a lot better.

It's a learning process and we're here to help :)

A new notebook is a great idea! (I love stationary!)

I really do appreciate everything you've all said so far. This whole thing makes me so emotional it's unreal, so your support is so important.

Your dance analogy wasn't a bad one at all! However, I am actually a trained dancer, so in my case I would expect to pick it up straight away! Driving took me months though!

One day soon you'll be a trained sw-er too and you'll be able to quote the syn values of every choc bar without thinking :D

So far today:
Banana x 2 and mullerlight
Endless black coffee (I miss my lattes!)
A 1cm sliver of birthday sponge cake (syn guesses?)
Chicken mug shot and tomato mug shot

I'm nannying today and quite often run out of energy in the afternoon, do I'm relying on coffee to keep me going and may move the birthday cake to the utility room where it can't taunt me!

I'm also going straight to the theatre tonight when I finish at 7 so I'm a tad worried about how I'm going to manage eating. I'm reaching for a banana every time I feel I'm about to slip, but now I'm worried I'll end up looking like one!

I went shopping last night and bought melon, strawberries, free yoghurts and green veg and have been re-reading my books.

Feel totally miserable and demotivated at the moment as I keep thinking I could be doing so much better. Absolutely dreading WI on Wednesday :-/

Good luck with it all. I couldnt get my head round it first when I restarted back in October due to Extra Easy being another option, but I have got there and fidn this group is very helpful and friendly :)

Back