im sooo confused

ali0207

Hi all, I went to my first SW meeting on monday-signed up brought home the books but im afraid im so confused, dont know what i should be eating-what i should have for breakfast-what im allowed , what im not-maybe its because ive tried low carbs and calorie counting and just cand understand or get my head around the idea of SW diet:confused:- i need to loose 1 1/2 stone any advice please xx

Hiya hun. It all seems so confusing but once you get a grip on it it will become second nature! Especially coming from calorie counting, it is so hard to get your head around eating so much and losing weight. But it DOES work I promise! The best place to go is here http://www.minimins.com/slimming-wo...d-advice-new-comers-including-extra-easy.html < this thread has got all the info on how it all works. There's also a FAQ stickie that might be good.

Good luck xx

I found it confusing the first week too - now it's like second nature! I would suggest you read and re-read your food optimising book until the plan makes more sense (I think I read it every morning on the train on the way to work, lol!). If you take a look at the website, or buy a copy of the magazine, both will also have a 7 day food plan which is perfect to ease you into it!

There are also some great threads on here that will explain the plan - and look out for threads called 'what's for breakfast' (and lunch, dinner) which should give you plenty of ideas! :)

Did you get given a pin number to access SW online? If so you can go on their and edit your profile with your food preferences and it will give you a sample 7 day menu. That can be a good jumping off point. Check out the thread highlighted above and their are loads of great recipes in the recipe section.

Is there any one part that you're confused by or the plan in general? Very basically it works like this:

Super free foods: these are listed in your book, most fruit and veg are super free. These are unlimited and a third of your plate at each meal should be made up from this group, this is also the first group to look at for snacks.

Free foods: these vary depending which plan you are on. They are listed in your book. You are allowed to eat as much of these until you are full. 2/3 of your plate at each meal should come from this group.

Healthy extras: these are split into As and Bs again they are listed in your book. The As are calcium based and Bs fibre based. These are there to ensure you get a balanced diet. Healthy extras are measured foods so need to be weighed or counted out. E.g 2 x alpen light bars is a B choice.

Syns: anything that doesn't fall into the above categories or is over your allowed measured amount (healthy extras). You are allowed 5-15 a day and in the back of your book there is a few pages detailing the Syns of popular items. E.g a 2 finger kit Kat doesn't go in any of the above groups so would be Syns 5.5 actually.

Which plan did they start you off on? Sorry if the above you already knew.

I was the only new member and the consultant did sit and talk it tho with me and said the best thing is to read the book-didnt say how many syns i should have each day tho-is wholemeal bread a syn or is low fat spread,low fat jam ? Im sure it could become 2nd nature if i can get my head around it. x

Hey Ali,

I'm in my 3rd week of doing SW for the first time (online) and I was totally confused in my first week! It gets easier - I promise! And it works!

The best thing I did was go into the Food Diaries section of this forum and get inspiration from what other members are eating!

If I'm at work, breakfast is usually a Muller Light (free) with raspberries and strawberries (super free). Lunch is sometimes salad with cooked chicken (no skin) or a Mug Shot (some are free, the Thai one I like is 0.5 syn) with spinach stirred through with some carrot sticks (making up 1/3 super free). I usually use my HEXA as milk in tea and my HEXB as 2 x Alpen Light bars as snacks at work. Then for dinner, the sky is the limit! Homemade burgers (extra lean mince is free) with Slimming World chips (free) and a big salad, or a stirfry with veg, or a pasta bake. There are so many options, you can't get bored!

I'm still getting used to using my syns. People have recommended to me that I should have 10 each day. My favourite snacks are Fridge Raiders (2.5 syns) and pink wafer biscuits (2 syns each). You can also use your syns in cooking e.g. using olive oil or having ketchup with it. Just make sure you measure your HEXs and syns (it's really easy to have too much, especially with things like cereal and cheese!).

Wholemeal bread can be your HEXB but you need to allow syns for any spread or toppings (apart from Marmite, which is free). The syns will be in your book per teaspoon etc.

I've got a diary if it's any help - http://www.minimins.com/slimming-wo...dbye-chunky-dunking-hello-skinny-dipping.html

Good luck!

Sarah x

Back