Inconsistent weighing scales???

t11cky

I know I shouldn't use my weighing scales at all and should only use when its weigh in day, But!!

My scales are really annoying me, The weights it says I am are always varying, For example this evening with just my underwear on, I touched the scales with the bottom of foot and the scales came on and said 0st & 0lb's

I got on and then they say 16st 9lbs

I get off and let them turn off!!

Then repeat the process and suddenly I have gone upto 16st 12lbs!!

I never know which weight I am, Are my scales rubbish, broken or is this just how they all work???

The best time to weigh yourself is in the morning, after you've been to the toilet etc. when you are at your very lightest, with no clothes on. Do this every Sunday or once every week, whichever day's most convenient for you and then try and forget your scales for the rest of the week.

Your weight will fluctuate, especially during the day.

Weigh yourself on the same day, at the same time, once per week. Then record your weight each week and then you will be able to really see how you are progressing. Try to lose about 1-2lbs a week, if you are losing weight - no less, no more.

I do get weighed at SW every monday morning, but I really like to know continually. Hopefully over time this will wear off!! It has been baffling me though like I said my weight has been going up or down within seconds on my scales!!
I bought some salter scales earlier today and ok I have only just got them but at least the weights they give a few seconds apart are the same!!
I dont need a tape measure as I can see by the clothes I couldn't get in properly a few weeks ago are now fitting spot on!! :D

It's nice to check out your weight and see how you're coming along, but it is pointless for two reasons:

1) Your weight fluctuates a lot short-term.
2) Progress doesn't come after a few seconds, minutes, hours or even days. You need to think more long-term!

Of course your scales could be broken; if you go to a gym, see if they have some scales and give those a go.

Good luck!

HAHA I just answered another question like this about scales a few minutes ago. They had the same problem as you pretty much. Scales are very finicky and people don't realize this. There are a lot of things that will make the readings different. To give you some things to think about. I tested my more expensive digital scale, another digital scale, and a cheap mechanical scale with a 50lb weight I borrowed from my university department. I wanted to make sure my data was not skewed by using my own body.

1) What type of scale are you using? Digital vs. mechanical, expensive vs. cheapest scale? digital are much more precise than mechanical and less likely to error because they don't have a spring that will stretch over time. The cheapest scale you can buy will most likely break easier and made of cheaper material. This will cause it to lose calibration easier. Also the metal spring in mechanical scales can be affected by the temperature in the room at the time. It is minor but can have an impact.

2) Do let a digital scale recalibrate it before stepping back on? Not giving it adequate time will give you a different number. Also check the batteries as when they get to around 50% power i have found that the number can be off slighltly or give false readings all together.

3) Also with scales it is important where you step on it. I can easily change the numbers on my digital scale depending on where I place my feet and also how I shift my weight while standing on it. I would advise paying attention to exactly where you place your feet each time and how you are standing/positioned on it. Try it, stand on your scale and shift your body and feet position you will see the numbers change.

4) Is the scale on a level floor, is it on a rug or a hard floor? If the floor is not level underneath it and the scale can rock when you are not standing on it that will affect your measurements each time. I have tested this with my digital scale and have found being even on a slightly un-level surface will give a 1-4lb range difference each time. Rugs actually gives a false record as the rug absorbs some of the downward pressure and so the scale will never record an accurate reading. The fluffier the rug the worse it is.

5) Do you move the scale to different locations, even a slight shift from where it was before? Scales don't like to be moved. I have a level kitchen (i checked the spots with a level) and then moved my scale to different spots and each time the number was slightly different (decimal point difference).

Overall, there is really no need to weight yourself multiple times in a row. Doing so will only give you mental anxiety over it. As the poster above said it is the long term that shows real numbers and results. Keep records but really you want to focus on the change over a month or longer period. Not anything that is seconds of each other.

Last edited:
Back