ingredients in the new bars

Discussion in 'Lighter Life Forum' started by Dancing, 27 September 2007 Social URL.

1. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

I posted this under the new bars thread but decided to start a new one

Is anyone else a little concerned about the presence of sugar and citric acid in the cranberry bar - or are we just all enjoying the taste too much to care? I can kind of guess that perhaps the citric acid levels in the bar are so small as to be unlikely to bring anyone out of ketosis - however, .... SUGAR? While I'm not a fan of aspartame, why aren't they using Splenda? Anyone asked about this? Anyone know why it is okay to be having sugar?

.........I do love both the new bars but I have a bit of concern when i eat the cranberry one

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. iceycold

iceycold Full Member

Diet:
    Lighter Life
    Thanks for pointing that out, I don't get the chance to get any until this Sunday, but I will be sure to ask before I buy any. I'm sure some one will have posted the answer for us by then

4. Sez

Sez has started again!!

Diet:
    Dukan
    Just got a couple to try. Does anyone else think the calorie value is pretty high on these?

5. whatsnewpussycat

whatsnewpussycat Full Member

Diet:
    Lighter Life
    We havent been given the new bars yet - I didnt know anything about them until I started reading the threads here. What is the calorie value of them?

6. Sez

Sez has started again!!

Diet:
    Dukan
    Either 365 per 100g, or 375 per 100g, depending on which bar. Each bar is 50g. Quite a diff to the existing bars, I think.

7. whatsnewpussycat

Diet:
    Lighter Life
    I think the existing nut bars are 373 per 100g so not much different from them. I should double check though.

8. Sez

Sez has started again!!

Diet:
    Dukan
    ok. Will check, not had Nut Bar since had couple pf moldy ones!! YUK!!

9. whatsnewpussycat

Diet:
    Lighter Life
    Oh yes, I remember now! Disgusting! I went on hols with 2 weeks worth of nut bars a couple of days after reading your post. I opened up each one with trepidation! But luckily they were fine (and I lost 9lbs on my 2 week hols - managed to stay abstinent the whole 2 weeks even tho it was an all inclusive holiday. Can you see my halo from there?)

10. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

yes - I compared the calories to lemon bar and thought the new ones were significantly higher. .... almost another shake in those calories.

Would love it if you would ask about the sugar, etc at your next session and let us know what they say.

11. scotwannabethin

scotwannabethin Back to the grindstone!!

Start Weight:
    16st9lb
    Current Weight:
    16st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st5lb(2.15%)
    Diet:
    W8 as need to lose so I can TTC!!!
    Gosh, that is quite a difference now isn't it!!:sigh:
    Perhaps better not have too many then, but they could have made it smaller to give the same kind of calories as the others, they are just teasing us now aren't they!!!:rolleyes:

12. iceycold

iceycold Full Member

Diet:
    Lighter Life
    Will definitely check this all out on Sunday. Actually emailed LLC, but had an automated response, is away on a conference until Sunday.

13. Cerulean

Cerulean Gold Member

Start Weight:
    17st2lb
    Current Weight:
    11st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st5lb
    Lost(%):
    5st6lb(31.67%)
    Diet:
    CD Step 5/Low GI
    Why are you concerned? An extra 700 calories a week if you are eating one every day is still next to nothing. And you make be having anything from none to seven a week.

You also commit to burning off 500 calories a day through walking and I know very few LLers who hand on heart do their 10000 steps every day! The thing is - the plan is balanced very carefully - the bars have been under research for over a year and have been tested and researched. LL is stricter than it has to be because if they weren't, we would begin to bend the rules - so there are leeways and margins of tiny amounts of sugar and citric acic - it's fine to have the tiny measured bit in one bar, but drinking 2 litres of diet coke would cause issues.

Early Grey which is on the official list contains small amounts of citrus oils - but it is clearly something people aren't going to binge on!

14. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

thanks Cerulean,

It wasn't the number of calories in the bars that concerned me but the fact that there was sugar. I thought it was something that should be avoided on low carb diets but I stand educated.

Thanks - I can now enjoy them guilt free.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.