Instant Mash - Other Uses

ruthiebusybee

I am sure I have read/heard that you can use instant mash (although no longer Smash) for other stuff such as 'breading' fish and it's free.

Is this right?

Have had a quick scout about but can't really see anything, although I might be being blind!

Yup - also great for thickening soups and stews - and making pizza base from (although I've not tried that). I use it to make onion bahjis and mushroom pakoras, and have made potato croquettes from is, using coucous as the crispy coating. YUM! I'm feeling hungry now!

That sounds amazing!

I hadn't thought of using cous-cous like that either! Good thinking!

I know what I'm going to try making to go with tea tonight!

And I shall definitely be making pizza with it when Lent it over - I've given up cheese! Doh! My waistline is appreciating it even if my mind just wants to chomp it!

Thanks again!:p

I made the most amazing chicken goujons last night - syn free!!

Instant mash (Sainsbury's Basics, good for this as it's flaked rather than powdered), black pepper, chilli powder, garlic granules and mustard powder all mixed up.

Marinade the chicken pieces in chicken Bovril, then coat in the potato mix.

Cook at a fairly high heat so that the chicken cooks and the outside stays crispy.

Super yummy! OH loved it too, couldn't believe it was syn-free.

Made it with the potato croquettes mentioned above, which weren't quite so good, but I think I should have 'made' the couscous rather than using it raw, right? The coating was just a bit too thick and crispy using raw couscous, whoops!

Try these.

Pete’s Pizza made from Instant Mash (3)

Use 125g from a pack of Sainsbury Instant Mash (250g)
One Tsp of mixed herbs.
Mix together then add hot water until the mix is like bread doe.
Add 1 egg and mix.
Spray a Flat Pan with 3-4 Fry Light shots, wipe across pan.
Press the mix into the pan and cover in clingfilm, rolling out with a rolling pin as thin as possible, remove clingfilm.
Cook one side until light brown then slide onto a flat plate with care, add 2-3 Fry Lights then return the pizza base and cook other side 3-6 mins depends on thickness.
Allow to cool on a cake rack.

Put Passata in a pan enough to cover Pizza base, add 1 TSP Tomato Puree and a few drops of “Worcester Sauce”,add chopped basil leaves, heat till thickened but DO NOT BOIL.
Coat the Pizza base with the Passata, cook your onion in balsamic vinegar until soft, add to base.
Add your choice of “Toppings”

This was my choice of Toppings : 5balls/40g Mozzarella, 1 slices of Lean Ham, 2 Mushrooms, sprinkled with 28g of Mild Hard Cheddar and place on Pre Heated Pizza Stone at 180/190 and cook until the cheese is bubbling.

Eat with Salad.

Sainsburys Ham Sainsburys
7 wafer thin breaded Ham slices Cows Milk Mozzarella

Per 1 slice Per 5 balls/ 40g

Cal=18 Kcal=81.6
Fat=0.2g Fat=6.16g
Total Sugar=0.3g Sugar=0.5g
Salt=0.4g Salt=0.43g
Sat Fat=trace Sat Fat=4.0g

Sainsburys Sainsburys Mash
Mild Hard Cheese

Per 28g Per 100g

Kcal=110 Cal=18
Fat=9.1g Fat=0.2g
Total Sugar=0.2g Total Sugar=0.3g
Salt=0.5g Salt=0.4g
Sat Fat=6.2g Sat Fat= Trace

Pete’s Meat Pasties

Ingredients

Sainsbury Extra Lean Steak Mince
Per 100g

183Kcal
Fat=11.8g
Sat Fat=5.6g
Sugar= trace
Salt=trace
2 Small Onions
!/2 packet (125g) Instant Mash

Method

Place 150g of meat in a dry frying pan and cook out any remaining fat. Add one onion chopped fine, season with salt & pepper, When browned add ½ tsp of Bovril,1/2 cup water and a few splashes of Worcester sauce, reduce liquid then allow to cool.

Add 125g of Instant Mash to a bowl and add one chopped onion, mixed herbs and hot water and mix to a bread doe.
Lay out a sheet of cling film and place ½ the mixture to it and cover over with a top layer of Clingfilm, using a rolling pin, rollout until about 6mm thick. Cut to make two pieces to size of pasties.
Grease a flat tray with Fry light and hand wipe across the complete surface.
Peel back the top layer of Clingfilm and using the bottom Clingfilm lift and turn over placing the mix on to the cooking tray, remove top layer of Clingfilm and you should have a layer of mix on the tray,
Add a layer of cool meat and cover with other ½ of the mix, crimp edges and egg wash.
Repeat with the remaining mix.

Place in a hot oven on 170/180 for about 15 mins or until browned.
Enjoy with a salad or baked beans and an egg!

Attachments

• IMG_0085 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0085 (Large).JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_0088 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0088 (Large).JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_0086 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0086 (Large).JPG
    128 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_0092 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0092 (Large).JPG