intermittent fasting for weight loss- should i continue my diet plan?

onoono

Hi, im 20 years old and weigh around 100 kgs. ive recently decided to use intermittent fasting to lose weight and ive been doing this for a month now. i fast 3 days a week for 24 hours and eat the rest days. my fast is usually from 9pm to 9pm the next day. on my non fasting days, i eat 3 meals. in the morning i eat like 1 boiled egg or 1 slice of bread, in afternoon i eat like 5 or 6 small pieces of bbq chicken. these are like small cubes of chicken which are barbequed on a grill, without any oil or fat. at dinner, i sometimes eat a similar chicken meal, or boiled french beans. i am completely trying to avoid carbs and any fat. i drink tea almost everyday after 9pm with 1 teaspoon sugar. ive lost some weight in the month, however, its not as much as i expected. my jeans and shirts are sort of loose noww. not really loose but i can tell the difference 2 people told me that i lost some weight but its still not much noticeable. i dont and cant exercise right now as ive a lot going on with job and my papers are around the corner but i do walk for like 15 mins daily to the market. so i want to ask now that should i continue this diet and will i get a good result in a month or 2? previously, i lost weight in 6 months with normal diet of eating non fat foods but that took me a lot of time and i walked fo 1 and a half hour daily.
so my current situation is fasting for 3 days and eating very less on non fasting days and avoiding fats and carbs. i also want to mention that i drink diet coke a lot. at least 1 500ml bottle of diet coke everyday and even on fasting days, as diet coke has no calories. i want to lose weight in like 2 or 3 more months and want to reach a target of 80 kgs, which i think is good for a 20 year old with a decent height.
you help and opinions would be appreciated on whether i should continue with this diet and whether ill lose more weight soon.

Don't ruin your metabolism like that. Eat healthy small meals.

you are eating FAR too little. Your body will go into starvation mode and cling on to every single bit of fat it can! It is also likely that your body is using lean muscle for energy. As you are eating so little your metabolism will think that you are starving and it sort of resets itself so that when you do start to eat food normally again you will need far fewer calories than you did before... therefore it will be MUCH easier for you to gain weight.

The key to weight loss is not starvation. I have tried EVERYTHING over the years and i have done plenty of research into whats what. I know you want to get rid of weight quickly but you have to remember that 20 kgs is 44lbs! Thats over 3st in two months which is a lot and it wont happen unless you eat more. I hope you dont think i am being queen of the negative but you need to do something sustainable.

As you clearly have A LOT of willpower have you had a look into very low calorie diets? Slim and Save is the cheapest and the people in that part of the forum are lovely. That diet is based on packs of food and lean protein and veg. But it is done in a way that is sustainable.

The up day down day diet requires you to have less than 500 calories on a "fast day" and then a sensible amount on a normal day. From the sound of it you are having less on an up day than the diet recommends on a down day.

As for diet coke... I love the stuff! BUT it is bad for teeth and for your insides especially when you arent eating. It is a diuretic so it causes dehydration. If you are having the diet coke but no water then that is even more unhealthy.

We are ALL here for you and can help you find the best diet. You dont have to do this alone and you really shouldnt be staring yourself for weight loss it NEVER works! (EVER!)

Keep us posted with what you decide to do!

Kate :)

thank you so much for your kind reply. actually, i posted the same thing at the 52fastdiet forums where everyone is using the 52 diet as a lifestyle. they told me the same thing and ill be taking 500 calories on 3 fasting days and over 1500 on non fasting days. but theyr also telling me to take more than 2000 because of my TDEE. but ill try to take more. i used to eat like max 2000 calories previously but also with junk food and regular sodas a couple of days a week. dont know how i gained so much :/ after a month of starving for 24 hours, i was comfortable with the diet but after learning about the starvation mode thing, ill do the tradition 52 diet which will be more than comfortable for me. after fasting for a month, i really dont crave much junk food its quite surprising. my target is to lose 20 kgs now and ill be using the 52 diet. i just hope it goes well. i didnt wanna eat more than 1500 calories but the people on the forum convinced me to eat that much. i hate how the body goes into starvation mode :p the traditional 52 diet will be really easy for me especially if im okay with my current very low calorie intake. and ill consider using it as a lifestyle if i lose weight in the coming months :)

Back