Into the Wilderness - SW and Camping Food

Zann

Hi All,

I've been looking through the forum and realised that there isn't really anywhere that really helps out the campers in terms of food ideas. Anyway, some friends and I are going camping next week (my first foray!), and I really want to stick to plan (as best as possible). So, I figured what better way to do it than figure it all out in advance, then post it for all to see! I hope you post your ideas too - more than just baked beans and pasta! We all really love our food, so it is really important to get a good variety and balance between what will be both healthy and tasty.

We are doing it the comfy way - we are taking no less than three stoves (one double, one single), which we can use to cook on. I'll also be taking 2 frying pans, and 3 stainless steal cooking pots. I'm hoping to procure a griddle from somewhere as well, but we'll see. One of the best things about camping is - or course - the BBQ! Unforutnately, it doesn't look like there is going to be much BBQ weather! So I'm going to be coming up with warm, tasty recipes that will keep the chill and rain at bay :)

We're also going right out into the sticks - Hawkshead, in Kendal (Lake Windemere), which means there will be no where really to buy food. This will hopefully prevent too much impulse snack buying, but is also going to be a bit of a pain. So basically, we're going to have to take most of our food with us. This is in addition to decent cooking equiptment (knives, chopping board etc) - I really recommend taking good quality stuff with you - there is nothing worse than preparing a meal and not being able to chop food very well! Takes forever, and is oh so frustrating.

So, here we go... 6 people, 5 days, 2 tents, 1 camping trip. Hopefully Slimming World friendly!

Day 1

Breakfast - SW Fry up (sort of!): FREE
Poached eggs,
Fried bacon, no fat
Fried quorn sausages
Beans
Tomatoes
Mushrooms

[needs 2 frying pans, 1 pot]

Lunch - Sandwiches and crisps: 5 1/2 SYNS
Wholemeal sandwiches with cold meats and salad (1 syn for mayo)
Walkers French Fries (4 1/2 syns)

Dinner - Boiled gammon joint with parsnip mash and veg: 1 SYN
Boil gammon in water (with a spoon full of honey)
Peal and cut parsnips and potatoes, and boil in a large pot, mash together, and add a spoonfull of chicken bovril (to taste)

[needs 2 pots]

TOTAL: 6 1/2 SYNS

Last edited:
Ooh it will be a breeze if you have all the utensils, I freeze meals before I go on hols a chilli is still frozen in a good ice box and is good to have second day, spag bol etc. I take a stew for the first night.
BBQ is good for SW, meat salad, potatoes with a bit of synned mayo and chives.
Wholemeal Pitta breads Asda or Co-Op i hex b and filling for lunches and last better than bread for end of week as vacuum packed. Filled with ham and salad.
Princes light corned beef canned so storable, is low in syns and great as corned beef hash and baked beans and eggs.
Soup with added pasta easy to put a pot on and simmer and added pasta to make filling.
Have a great time, hope this weather changes!
I put on 1 3/4 pounds on my hols but am under target so keeping more or less on track doable and I am straight back on plan and losing again!

There may be a local shop where you can get some fresh supplies. I love pasta with a raw sauce - chopped tomatoes, basil, olives, capers, anchovies..... anything you fancy just stirred in when the pasta's drained and hot.

Youre lucky to be able to take so much! I went camping last week but at a festival, so we werent allowed to take gas stoves over on the eurostar!
We ended up eating cold tins like beans, hoops, low cal curry and chilli from home. Then Alpen bars and as much fruit as we could carry!

Some great ideas, thanks all! We had two days of really good weather, and a day of rain, which wasn't too bad. Especially considering there are now weather warnings around where we were!

Day 2

Breakfast - Jam sandwich: 2 SYNS
Wholemeal bread (heB)
Sugar free jam (could also use chocolate phili if you prefer - 2 SYNS)

[needs a hard surface and a knife]

Lunch - Mug shot and crisps: 4 1/2 SYNS
Mug shot (free)
Walkers french fries - 4 1/2 SYNS

[needs a kettle for hot water]

Dinner - Pork and paprika onepot: FREE
This is a great one pot SW recipe. Pork loin steaks (pre-cut and frozen into bitesize peices); onion; peppers; courgette; aubergine. Chop all and throw into the pot. Add chicken stock, smoked paprika, and simmer until pork is cooked. Serve with boiled pots is you prefer.

[needs 1 large pot]

TOTAL: 6 1/2 SYNS

Day 3 (Green Day)

Breakfast - Tinned fruit on SW pancakes - FREE

[needs 1 small frying pan, preferably non stick, and a small cooking pot; mixing bowl, cup and whisk]

Drain off the juice from the fruit and put into a small cooking pot with some water. Heat through. For the pancakes: In a mixing bowl, seperate the eggs, placing the yolks in a cup. Mix yolks with sweetener to taste. Whisk egg whites for 5 mins until light and fluffy, but not peeking. Fold in egg yolks. Fry like normal pancakes, using frylight. Be careful - they are a little weaker, and easier to break when turning.

Lunch - Spiced couscous with summer veg - FREE

[needs 1 pot, chopping board and knife]

Chop peppers, baby sweetcorn, snap peas, tomatos, a clove of garlic and place in pot with couscous. Cover will water and bring to boil, stirring regularly. Add smoked paprika, salt and pepper to taste. Serve once couscous is cooked!

Dinner - Homemade pesto pasta - 1 SYN

[needs 1 large pot, chopping board and knife, grater]

Cook pasta. Mix with fat-free fromage frais/natural yoghurt, chili flakes, finely chopped basil (or dried), salt, and finely grated cheese (heA). Tastes GREAT!!!

TOTAL: 1 SYN (so plenty left over for snacks! Some great camping snacks on this day include party rings, party size mars bar, hula hoops, and marshmellows over a fire!)

Day 3 (Green Day)

Breakfast - Tinned fruit on SW pancakes - FREE

[needs 1 small frying pan, preferably non stick, and a small cooking pot; mixing bowl, cup and whisk]

Drain off the juice from the fruit and put into a small cooking pot with some water. Heat through. For the pancakes: In a mixing bowl, seperate the eggs, placing the yolks in a cup. Mix yolks with sweetener to taste. Whisk egg whites for 5 mins until light and fluffy, but not peeking. Fold in egg yolks. Fry like normal pancakes, using frylight. Be careful - they are a little weaker, and easier to break when turning.

Lunch - Spiced couscous with summer veg - FREE

[needs 1 pot, chopping board and knife]

Chop peppers, baby sweetcorn, snap peas, tomatos, a clove of garlic and place in pot with couscous. Cover will water and bring to boil, stirring regularly. Add smoked paprika, salt and pepper to taste. Serve once couscous is cooked!

Dinner - Homemade pesto pasta - 1 SYN

[needs 1 large pot, chopping board and knife, grater]

Cook pasta. Mix with fat-free fromage frais/natural yoghurt, chili flakes, finely chopped basil (or dried), salt, and finely grated cheese (heA). Tastes GREAT!!!

TOTAL: 1 SYN (so plenty left over for snacks! Some great camping snacks on this day include party rings, party size mars bar, hula hoops, and marshmellows over a fire!)

Hey Zann

I will be taking some of those ideas with me as going camping mid july for 8 nights. To be honest had not even thought about the food aspect of it - worried about getting through the weeks leading up to it!!!

One thing though - tinned fruit is not free - it has to be synned :(

Thanks for this thread - I'm off camping this Friday/Saturday so some good ideas. I will just have a fire to cook on but want to plan as much as possible, have stocked up on mugshots, beans, fruit.....just not sure how to get my third superfree in? xx

Hi guys!

Thanks Alycyn1980 - I didn't realise tinned fruit was synnable! I must admit, we used fresh, but that was because we were staying in a little village with a few nice shops which we raided on a daily basis :) I'm really glad this has started to be a help, though! I really enjoyed our camping experience, especially as I knew I wasn't eating too unhealthily :)

Hope you all have a fab time!

Day 4 (Green Day)

Breakfast - Eggy bread with tomato ketchup - 1 SYN [for the kethup, unless you take your own, FREE SW version!]

[needs 1 frying pan, a flat bottomed bowl]

In the flat bottomed bowl beat 1 egg with a fork until mixed. Place 1 slice of wholemeal bread in and wait for it to soak up egg. Heat fry light in frying pan. Place in eggy bread, and cook for 2-3 mins on each side. Serve with tomato ketchup (or for sweet tooths, sprinkle with cinamon, sweetener, and serve with a banana).

Lunch - Pasta salad - 1 SYN (per tbsp of mayo)

[needs 1 large cooking pot, knife and chopping board]

Cook pasta as per instructions. Drain. Mix with a can of sweetcorn, tinned peas, tinned tuna (drained!), chopped carrots, and extra light mayo. Great for packing up and taking out and about.

Dinner - Ham and potato hash (with cheese if available!) - 4 SYNS (extra easy)

[needs 1 large cooking pot, large frying pan, knife, pealer and chopping board]

Peal and cut the potatos into 2 cm cubes. Boil until tender, drain. Fry off a chopped onion, sliced leak, and slices cabbage in a frying pan with frylight. Add some herbs (mixed is great), garlic (either powder or fresh, to taste), salt and pepper, half a small cup of water, with some chicken bovril. Cook for 10 mins on a low heat until water is simmering, and reducing. Add pots, and chopped ham (either lean fresh, although canned also works well - just check SYNS on that!), and mix well. Serve while nice and hot, and topped with cheese (45g low fat, 30g normal) if available! (add 6 1/2 SYNS if not using cheese as a heA).

TOTAL: 6 SYNS

Last edited:
Day 5 - the quick and easy day:

Breakfast - 2 Alpen Cereal Bars

Great, quick, easy brekkie :)

Lunch - Mug shot and scan bran - 1 SYN PER SCAN BRAN

[needs 1 kettle]

Dinner - Quick and easy stirfry

[needs 1 large cooking pot, knife and chopping board]

Cook enough noodles for everyone, drain, and set to one side. In the same pot, spray fry light, and add sliced meat (if you can get it) and cook until browned .Add sliced tinned veg (we used baby sweetcorn, bamboo shoots, waterchestnuts, carrots, and mushrooms) and heat through. Mix in cooked noodles, and splash with plenty of soy sauce (or sweet chili at 1 SYN per tbsp). Quick, easy, and only 1 pot!

TOTAL: Variable (I ate 4 SYNS)

Back