Is Alli any good?

meoww

Silver Member
Hey everyone, I bought some Alli previously and didn't really try very hard with it but Im going to give it another go now, and wondered if any of you reckon its any good? I understand it is a lower dosage than Xenical.
How do you actually get Xenical prescribed? should I try and get Xenical instead if Im going to give this a proper go?
Im looking to lose about 2 stone -which would take me to about a bmi of 24/25 so maybe lose more, see how I feel by then!

meoww said:
Hey everyone, I bought some Alli previously and didn't really try very hard with it but Im going to give it another go now, and wondered if any of you reckon its any good? I understand it is a lower dosage than Xenical.
How do you actually get Xenical prescribed? should I try and get Xenical instead if Im going to give this a proper go?
Im looking to lose about 2 stone -which would take me to about a bmi of 24/25 so maybe lose more, see how I feel by then!

Hi & welcome

Most Docs will only prescribe orlistat/xenical if your bmi is above 30 & once it's below they won't carry on prescribing. Alli is half strength & I think the "rules" are slightly different... It may be worth a visit to your drs to see what he/she thinks

I might go see them, I have always felt like no one else can help me with losing weight even though the right help is probably available.
My bmi is probabaly 29 or 30..its close, maybe if I drank loads of water and wore heavy clothing I would weigh enough.. but if the bmi is just 30 would they still prescribe or be reluctant?

Alli is exactly the same as Orlistat only a lower dosage tablet so taking two at a time is okay.
Again prescribing is all down to each doctor and their view on this plus the expense to the practice as well.
As far as feeling it is the ONLY thing that will help you with your weight loss I think you are on a bit of a loser there because at the end of the day you will still have to master the control of your food intake and DON'T, whatever you do eat a lot of fatty stuff if you are going to take this as it has very unpleasant side effects.

I don't think the Dr will prescribe it with you having a bmi as low as that, mine was 47 & even then she took some convincing.

Xen for me was just a tablet form of willpower i still wanted the things I knew weren't good for me!

I don't take it now & swear by calorie counting x

Also, most expect you to go away and prove you can lose weight yourself for about a month before they actually prescribe it

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

My bmi was 39, and took 3 visits and time to lose enough weight myself before hand.

For me the Ali was willpower and fear more than anything.

I'm unable to get any more (due to lack of stock in my area).

When I try to healthy eat I can lose the weight, so following in the footsteps of the inspirational people on this forum, I'm doing it without.

My GP would only prescribe Xenical as a last resort....and he insisted that I lose weight without the tablets first. (He wanted me to lose 6 pounds minum in 4 weeks)

The tablets will do nothing for you if you don't make lifestyle changes.

The Xenical is working for me - albeit slowly (and yes, I know weight lost slowly is more likely to stay off!) - not because they possess any 'magic' property, but because they have given me the incentive to make changes to the way I eat.

well I am taking Alli at the moment and I am consciously aware of fat more now, as before carbs were the enemy but now fat is the enemy again. not had the side effects much so I must be doing ok with fat levels.
tonnes of replies, thank you! did I see that taking two Alli tabs at a time is an idea? could I try this or does anyone advise not?
I generally understood that xenical was hard to get hold of as I heard about it a while back, I just thought I would try use up my Alli pills and it seemed there were people getting results on here. I suppose carrying on wont harm and I can see how it makes you more careful with what you eat.

meoww said:
well I am taking Alli at the moment and I am consciously aware of fat more now, as before carbs were the enemy but now fat is the enemy again. not had the side effects much so I must be doing ok with fat levels.
tonnes of replies, thank you! did I see that taking two Alli tabs at a time is an idea? could I try this or does anyone advise not?
I generally understood that xenical was hard to get hold of as I heard about it a while back, I just thought I would try use up my Alli pills and it seemed there were people getting results on here. I suppose carrying on wont harm and I can see how it makes you more careful with what you eat.

Have u had good results from alli?? Im considering it :)

Alli is just the half strength dose of orlistat do if you take two alli you're then taking the same dose. An expensive way to do it though

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Back