Is anyone lactose intolerant?

Josiecat

Silver Member
Since being back on sw I have been suffering stomach pains, severe bloating, wind and cramping. It has been particularly bad the last two days and at first I was thinking it might be the increase in fibre but I also thought that I have drunk a lot more milk over the last couple of days.

I rarely had milk before, I never eat cereal and only really have a very small amount in about one cup of tea a day. But today and yesterday I must have had about 400ml milk each day and my stomach has been terrible.

Perhaps it isn't the milk but I have decided to have no milk, cheese etc for the next few days and see if it eases.

Noone else in my family have this so not sure, wondering if anyone suffers from this and could offer any advice?

Thank you

Josie xx

I have lactose intolerance and the severity of it fluctuates. Developed in my early 20's. didnt understand why eating a healthy bowl of muesli and milk wld cause the most awful bloating cramps and wind! Bearing in mind most muesli has whey in it which is a no no as its lactose. Then a dietician at work suggested i was lactose intolerant and oh my was a revelation!!

Try lacto free milk, u get it in all major supermarkets n it tastes like normal milk or soya milk, avoid all dairy n see how u go, yoghurts and cheddar cheese dnt have much lactose in so easier to tolerate. Let me knw hpw u get on x

Thank you, I didn't know about Muesli either. I last had milk this morning and things have eased this evening so will go the next few days without milk and will get some of the milk you suggested for my cups of tea.

I am just looking at your losses at the bottom of your post, that is amazing you must be buzzin :)

Thank you Jezzi, think I might have seen Alpro actually in Tesco. Is it just hazelnut that qualifies for HexA? That definitely gives me some ideas for HexA :-D

Yes try lactofree to start of with as it tastes just like milk, it too me a while to adjust to the taste of soya.

Cereal is one to be careful of as the most have whey powder in. Go on to the lactofree website or google it and see what sort of foods you should avoid, ice cream gets to me! It just depends how much u can tolerate, i vary, the more stressed the less i can tolerate.

Im on a total food replacement diet called lipotrim and plan on doing SW to maintain once i get to goal hence im here! Its not a diet for the fainthearted but it most deffo works :) just had crazy xmas binge so getting back on track :)

I'm wondering if I could be, I've been to the doctors with my bad stomach and at the moment he thinks I have a stomach ulcer, I'm on antibiotics for 2 weeks to see how I get on then will go from there..
i like the Alpro Soya light fresh milk or the almond one xxx

Heya, I'm lactose intolerant. My stomach started getting really bad 2 years ago and they had me on gastro meds for a possible stomach ulcer which didn't help at all! Got allergy testing done and found out I was intolerant to dairy and wheat. Have been able to reintroduce wheat into my diet but defo no lactose! It messes up my tummy and my Bowels :( I love cheese so so much! Occasionally I'll snap and have some Brie but I'll be paying for it for a few days after :( so I usually drink soya milk (the unsweetened one) with ice and lacto free have a lactose free cheese, it's not the same as good old cheese but I still love it! Kinda mild like Edam! Tesco sell it! But yea it's a pain, although the good thing is that when I go out for dinner and I tell them I'm lactose intolerant, they tell me which foods have butter or cream in them (so no hidden syns!) :)

I am :) I use arla lactose free milk/cheese etc and for things like cottage cheese where there is no replacement there are some special enzyme tablets you can get and they're wonderful if you don't over use them. Hope this helps.

Thank you for the tips, I went to waitrose and bought Kara chocolate milk and Oatly chocolate milk. They were both in the long life milk section.
I have just had the Oatly one (200ml) for my HexB. It was slightly more watery than diary choc milk but it actually was suprisingly nice and has a nice creamy taste. It was an excellent choc hit too :)

Will report back once I try the Kara one.

I have not had any lactose now since yesterday. My stomach is not cramping yet so I am going to see how it goes. Yesterday I had a mocha, 2 alpen lights and a banana and the cramping started. I am going to have an alpen light in a minute to see if I get cramps again. If I do then it might not have been the milk in the mocha. Although I am thinking back and every time I have a cuppa, a milkshake, cheese on a meal etc I do always get a bad tummy.

Be careful because cereal powders can contain milk powders and whey products hun so not always suitable if you are lactose intolerant. Check the ingredients. if it does have it in and its only a little u might find your body tolerates it

Hey goose, thanks for thhe info. Funnily enough I checked the ingredients after eating and saw that the alpen light does contain skimmed milk so they do contain lactose. No side effects from the one alpen light though. So perhaps I can tolerate a small amount? The only other thing I have been eating is bananas but I can't see that they would cause problems so it must be the milk.

Thanks Jezzi, I'll make sure I give it a good shake each time :)

No worries, let us know how u get on xx

My doc thinks I built up my intolerance when I stopped drinking milk in my tea. I was 15 when I did that, and I've been diagnosed intolerant for 10 years now. I use the Arla lactofree, you get a massive allowance for it, so I never use it all and it tastes like normal milk. Hope you get it figured out soon x

Cheers thankyou! Well I have avoided milk and cheese etc and yesterday and today tried a coffee with a drop of diary milk and I was fine. It would seem that it is only when I have a glass of milk or a latte that I am having the stomach issue. I am going to stick to the dairy free choc milks for HexA which is my best ever discovery thanks to you lovely people and your advice :) I was reading that some people can manage a small amount and others cannot manage any so perhaps a drop is ok for me but I am avoiding any more than a drop in a hot drink at all costs!!

Why don't you try almond milk. The blue diamond one you can have 850ml for A choice, I've just started gluten and lactose free diet, my stomach bloating went down in a couple of days it was fab :)

Back