Is it possible to lose weight through pregnancy

Kellie mum of 4

Silver Member
Hi all I am thinking about ttc but I am very over weight so I am on a diet and I was wondering if anybody manages to lose weight throughout there pregnancy I didn't with my other kids I put loads on and never really lost it afterwards but I really would like to stick to my diet and if possible still lose weight as I know at the weight I am now it wouldn't be healthy for me or a baby and it might take me a while to conceive and as I am 34 I don't want to wait a year or so before I even start trying any advice would be much Appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Yes you can lose weight while pregant. We have a lady in our class who lost 11+ stones witinin 18mths and has reached her target while pregnant 10st 7lbs. She got pregant in Oct/Nov 2011 while she was still on her slimming world journey and has still been losing 1 to 2 pounds per week.

You can do its not generally reccomended to lose any significant amount especially not after the first half of your pregnancy,
I calorie counted through my pregnancy and managed to only put on a stone, I lose that by ten days after he was born, he's 4 weeks old tomorrow and I weigh about 10lbs less than when I found out I was pregnant! x

Mrs-s, how many calories did you stick to? X

Thanks for the advice I am going to keep losing weight now and if I fall pregnant then I will try calorie counting or slimming world to keep losing or at least keep the gain to a minimum as I really do want to try and be as healthy as possible

slimming world is the only diet that allows you to follow the plan officially while being pregnant. However, you can also look at Free Diet Plans at SparkPeople with the pregnancy option of Pregnancy Nutrition & Pregnancy Exercises at BabyFit.com which also helps you while you're TTC. Their diet is very balanced, but you can also integrate it with slimming world or weight watchers because it works very similarly to WW. It's also FREE which is a great bonus ;)

Good luck! xx I was at goal (even way under goal!) when i fell pregnant and up to now I have only put on 1.7 lbs and I'm 9 weeks. Hope to stay within the healthy range and only get at around 10 stone which is the highest I can get for my height (BMI 25). It would be good because it would make it easier for me to get back to pre-pregnancy weight (and body) :)

Something that I noticed though is that when you're pregnant your body hangs on all what it can get. So if you put on a couple of lbs while on holiday, you cannot lose them -_- it happened to me this week... I tried to lose the 2 lbs that I had put on at the lakes but O only lost 3 oz LOL :D Never mind it means that the baby needs it ;)

I was worried. About my weight in the beginning i did calorie count and weight watchers as the weeks go on ur body clings to it and it's hard to loose so 3.5 stone heavier I'm not worrying I
Have 2 weeks left I'm going to strict diet from July 1 st so I'm making the most of Now I'm one hungry chick at the mo thou x

Yeah i did slimming world all the way through mine and i ended up being two stone lighter then before i was pregnant lol x

Wow well done. I am just going to stick to my diet and when I conceive try and stick to the slimming world diet or calorie count as that seems the best way to go thanks for all the advice x

Something that I noticed though is that when you're pregnant your body hangs on all what it can get. So if you put on a couple of lbs while on holiday, you cannot lose them -_- it happened to me this week... I tried to lose the 2 lbs that I had put on at the lakes but O only lost 3 oz LOL :D Never mind it means that the baby needs it ;)

Interesting! Just found out I'm very early-doors pregnant so I've stopped Dukan weightloss, with a view to Dukan maintaining during my pregnancy. Off on holiday in two weeks, so I'm pleased I saw this - won't get too het-up over a (likely) gain :D

P x

I've just found out that I'm pregnant. A complete surprise because I had a coil. In fact when I went to have the coil out the gynaecologist said that she was surprised that I managed to conceive given my BMI (I don't actually know how much I weigh but I'd guess around 19st).

I'm going to try and lose some weight or at least stay the same. Mostly because I need to stay in my normal clothes as far as possible. Do they even do maternity clothes in size 24/26?

Although a surprise I do want this baby. I had just started some hard core healthy eating (you should see my fridge) in order to get ready to conceive about this time next year. So it's not unwelcome, just ahead of schedule. Having the coil out puts me at risk of miscarriage but so far so good.

Good luck with your pregnancy and I hope you manage your goal of losing or staying the same weight as others seem to have said on this thread that it is possible to lose weight but if you just try to eat healthy and keep your gain to a minimum you could still finish the pregnancy lighter than you started x

Congratulations how far r u I'm due 26 th June I started eating healthy in the beginning but my cravings took over long as baby healthy and u r don't worry bout weight gain I put 3.7 stone on x

I had gestational diabetes think iv spelt it incorrect lol x but they gave me a diet to stick to which was kind of the same as slimming world but i couldnt eat any crap no butter i craved lemon sherbets sweets and had to give them up :-( i also craved liver which i couldnt eat cos it causes miscarry so i had to bum cravings but that what made me get rid of the weight so got to get myself back in to slimming eating chocolate biscuits with a brew is not good x

Back