Is January the worst month to diet?

13weeks

My annual diet usually starts in May, and by end of June im back to my slim self for the summer. Towards end of 2011 though things got out of hand and instead of 1 stone to lose, ive got almost 3 stone to lose...... grrrr. The diet is going good though, and by end of March I should be pretty much where I want to be, so at least I will have a head start on the summer.

But January? Its cold dark and I have no desire to do anything except sleep eat and watch tv. Also, the body must go into a bit of hibernation mode making you hang onto the lbs to get through the long dark winter. I always lose weight quickly in May, its always been my best time of year to lose any winter excess.

Is there a worst time than January? or is it the best time to get the weight under control.

I think its more to do when your ready, regardless of what time of year it is, i only started to lose weight when my mind was ready for it, onse you get your head around it, the weight drops off, well thats what i found,

Good luck on your weight loss

You are probably right, maybe i just feel more positive and in a better frame of mind when the weather is warmer and the sun shining (potentially lol)

I agree with mrtc about having the right 'mindset' regardless of when that is. But I've got to agree too about it being harder through the winter months - or at least that's my experience.

My first voyage - on a vlcd (several years ago) was started during May, and I found the whole food abstinence thing a breeze (I really did).

Several years on - and starting another vlcd, but this time in January, seems so much harder, though I can't quite figure out why.

I'm still as committed, perhaps even moreso than the last time (especially as I have more to lose), but I feel less motivated or enthusiastic.

I blame going to and from work in the dark and also the general coldness. I just want to wrap up warm and eat naughty things (though I shall resist the temptation) :D

I'm glad there's a bit of sunshine about today - which makes me feel a lot more positive about the whole weightloss thing.

I also agree that it can be easier when the weathers better but as i said, you have to be ready to do it.

Ive tried many times over the years to lose weight but i can see now, the times i failed was due to me not wanting it enough, i really hope you make it, tbh i hope everyone makes it as i feel so much better, although im very worried about putting it all back on

Back