Is this long term?

Crunchy

I really want to join SW, I tried WW but got too hungry. I am a vegetarian. How feasible is SW to do for the rest of your life? Do the meals get boring? Is there variety in what you eat? Can I have 2 pieces of bread if I wanted? I need a diet to be something that can become a way of life that I can cook for the family, where I don't have to be hungry. I wonder if SW could be the diet I am looking for. I have 4 stone to lose :-(

Ive done WW and it isnt long term

SW i know i could stick to long term, theres so much free food you can just eat normal(ish)

I do green and origanal so if i get board i switch plans i plan to move to EE at the end to maintain as it lets you have meat and spuds lol

I would say that it *is* long term. there are so many recipe ideas its unreal. I have only been on SW for 2 1/2 months, and im nowhere near bored yet

I've lost just over 1 and a half stone in my first 11 weeks (granted for 3-4 weeks of that i didnt try much at all) and I'm never hungry, and recently started exercising. So hoping that aids my weight loss more

Yes you can have bread (you can either count it as your healthy extra every day or syn it, but you can still have it)

SW is really easy to follow too- it shocks me how much weight i lose every week, because i honestly dont feel like im on a diet!!! :)

I'm a strict veggie & I'm loving SW. I did WW in the past (old points system) & whilst I thought it was great starting on a massive amount of points the decreasing points along with the decreasing weight scared me. As it was I only got half way to target (4 stone off) & then I fell pregnant.

I'm sure you would be able to stick to SW long term. You would proabably be best with Green days being vegetarian.

You can eat unlimited amounts of rice, pasta and potatoes and most fruit and vegetable are unlimited too as well as fat free dairy like yoghurts. You are also, on Green, choice allowed 2x 'A' choice healthy extras which are measured amounts of milk and cheeses and 2 x 'B' choice healthy extras which are things like bread, cereals, nuts and seeds, olive oil every day. On top of all this you are allowed to have up to 15 syns per day to spend how you like on treats- perhaps chocolate and sweets and crisps. Or you can use them on things like sauces, and butter and oh, all sorts! Basically, the plan is only limited as what you can think of...

Big up Slimming World!
I found that the problem with WW is that as long as you stay within your points allowance you could still eat crap. With SW it encourages you to eat unlimited amounts of very healthy food, the result being that you then automatically snack on healthier foods. It is too easy to use WW points on takeaways, crisps, chocolate etc then feeling deprived the rest of the day because you've had your limit. Experts guidelines are that we all eat foods in moderation, which is where the syns come in, it's 'normal' to eat a bag of crisps or a chinese, but not all the time and not part of our main diet. Don't get me wrong, WW works for a lot of people, but SW gives a lot more freedom with food without the feeling of depravation.

Big up Slimming World!
I found that the problem with WW is that as long as you stay within your points allowance you could still eat crap. With SW it encourages you to eat unlimited amounts of very healthy food, the result being that you then automatically snack on healthier foods. It is too easy to use WW points on takeaways, crisps, chocolate etc then feeling deprived the rest of the day because you've had your limit. Experts guidelines are that we all eat foods in moderation, which is where the syns come in, it's 'normal' to eat a bag of crisps or a chinese, but not all the time and not part of our main diet. Don't get me wrong, WW works for a lot of people, but SW gives a lot more freedom with food without the feeling of depravation.

you've said exactly what i was going to about WW. when i did it i just ate crap. now i'm eating lots of healthy foods and feeling totally satisfied.

SW is definitely a longterm solution! good luck!

To be fair you can still live on crap on SW if you choose to, so that's down to tthe individual rather than the plan. WW promotes healthy eating just the same as SW.

But to get back to the original question, SW is absolutely suitable for following long-term. It's essentially healthy eating and when you get to target there is less counting and more leeway as long as you still follow the basic plan. It's a plan that the whole family can follow and in fact, doing that will actually help you get to target.

Does it get boring? Only if you let it! How many people are not on a diet but eat the same meals all the time - probably the majority of people. So again that's down to the individual rather than whether they are doing SW or not. Make sure you are continually trying new foods, new recipes and new meals and you won't get bored!

I started SW in April 2008 at 19 stone. I lost 8 stone over 2+ years and got to target last September. I have maintained this weight loss and completely turned my life around regarding confidence, lifestyle, fitness and general vitality. (Check out my photos for evidence)

SW is not a quick fix- many people lose quickly, but many don't. I didn't, but the slow changes I made to food decisions, portion sizes, life choices and exercise over this time mean that I am able to maintain my healthy weight and lifestyle without ever feeling like I am on a 'diet'- this is just the way I am now as I have slowly morphed into the new me- SW allowed slow changes to my body and MIND without drastic measures.

Quick fix it aint, but if you are ready now to make small changes gradually for sustainable realistic losses, then I honestly believe SW is the answer

Good luck xxx

SW is definitely the best long term !!!!!

Good luck with it Crunchy ! :)

. . . SW is absolutely suitable for following long-term. It's essentially healthy eating and when you get to target there is less counting and more leeway as long as you still follow the basic plan. It's a plan that the whole family can follow and in fact, doing that will actually help you get to target.

Does it get boring? Only if you let it! How many people are not on a diet but eat the same meals all the time - probably the majority of people. So again that's down to the individual rather than whether they are doing SW or not. Make sure you are continually trying new foods, new recipes and new meals and you won't get bored!

I did WW many years ago. Lost some weight then put it all back on as I had not re-educated my eating habits at all really.

I started doing SW on my own in Oct 2006 when I moved to Spain - 5 stone overweight. I just did it from the books with no online access and no Minis. I'm a very slow loser but managed to lose almost 2.5 stone at a nice steady rate over about 12 months but then got fed up. Not because of the food limitations but because I was on my own and not getting any motivation from anywhere.

The important thing is though I maintained that loss for almost 3 years. Having treats that I enjoy (I'm a crisp and nut fiend) and the odd (well more than odd) glass of wine. Because this time I HAD re-educated my eating habits.

Due to an all inclusive holiday over Xmas and New Year I put 7 lbs on and I'm now back on SW 100% again to lose the last 3 stone. Nearly 2 stone gone since 10th January - so not quite as slowly as last time. The reason? Minis. I still don't have a group to go to here in Spain but Minis is great for motivation and support.

Have I ever been bored? Never - because as several have already said it is limited only by your imagination.

Good luck Crunchy. It really is doable - if an old fogey like me can stick to it anyone can!

I really think it is a plan that can become a way of life if you want it to be! It is great to be able to eat so much free food that makes you feel good as it is healthy. I have just returned to the SW plan after 3 weeks trying WW. I stopped WW as I felt so unhealthy due to the fact that I could eat chocolate all day as long as I stayed within my points. As I am breastfeeding I got loads of extra points that worked out to the equivalent of 1 x 100g chocolate bar a day which i ate!! I got a really bad tummy and felt really unwell. SW's focus on good nutricious foods does make it a plan for life......if you want it to be.

Good luck!

Thanks guys, am gonna sign up Tuesday, I will shift this weight! Excited with hope now

Good luck, Crunchy. I'm sure you will love SW, especially when you see just how much you can eat and still lose weight. It really is do-able.

I have two teenage boys and OH at home who all eat the same as me and they're loving the new recipes and never complain that they aren't feeling full. It's been especially good for my youngest son who was heading the same way as me - weightwise. Now he's still eating everything you'd expect a teenager to eat, but his meals are really healthy and the pounds are coming off nicely.

Back