Is this normal? Should I be worried??

darcey400

Hi

Forgive me if this is the wrong place its my first post (other than my introduction)

I have just started week five of my Slimming World journey and the weight is simply falling off. Granted I have a bit to lose (5.5 stone) but I'm begining to wonder if this is normal. I should point out that I dont have any syns at all... anyway this is how it has gone so far...

Introduction 19st 5lbs

Week one 7.5lbs loss
Week two 5.5lbs loss
Week three 6.5lbs loss
Week four 5lbs loss

I have had 3 slimmer of the week awards and am 3.5lbs away from losing 2 stone and 2.5lbs from my Club 10....

Please dont think this is in anyway showing off, it is a genuine concern. Even my wife has asked if this is normal

What do you think??

Geoff

It's normal don't worry, your leader would talk to you if she were concerned it was too much. I really wouldn't worry but if you are just have a chat with you consultant. Some people with a lot to lose can drop half a stone or more each week in first few weeks. Your body will be dropping a lot of cals resulting in your great losses. As long as your eating til satisfied your body is getting what it needs. Good luck on your journey :)

You must be following the plan 100%! One of the men in our group received his 4 stone award this morning after 15 weeks, he started at 17 stone ish, and averages 4.5 lbs a week - but is now slowing down to 2 or 3 lbs. He says he doesn't stop eating!

Its a fact of life that men tend to lose weight more quickly than women. Congratulations on your great weight loss so far, you are doing great. The only thing I would say is get those syns down you! You are still relatively new to SW so are probably quite happy with the way things stand at the moment but do you want to never have another treat for the rest of your life. The plan calls for at least five syns a day , it whats makes it sustainable in the long-term so it makes sense to get used to having them and it doesn't have to be "junk" type foods. I use my syns mostly in my meals, for fruit juice, wraps, bagels etc. :)

Well done on the fantastic weightloss! I wouldn't worry that this is unusual, as someone else said, I'm sure your consultant would have a word if they were concerned.

I do agree with PatchworthPuss though that you should try and have the minimum amount of syns. Otherwise, if you do start introducing synned-foods in the future (even if it's still a long way off), your body won't be used to them and it might affect your weightloss.

How do you last on no syns? Ur weight loss is fantastic but what an earth do you eat lol I have my syns in my cooking lol xxx

My other half is on this journey with me - we have just had our 25th weigh in and he has lost almost 5 stone (of the 6 stone 9lbs he's intent on losing). It's not unusual, be VERY proud!

It's something about you blokes that makes weight disappear faster than anything. We are the same in that we, as a general rule, don't have syns (we find that bit easy, but I understand how it can be hard!) - but sometimes they creep in. It has worked for us so far, but don't deprive yourself completely just for the sake of it.

The very best of luck with the rest of your journey (which won't be a long one by the looks of things!) and let us know how you get on!

On my first try at SW last year i kept having big losses, 6lbs in my first week, 4lbs next, 5lbs again and then 3lbs. After that they slowed down and i had a STS for about 3 weeks! it was very disheartening after such big losses but i knew that my body was giving itself time to catch up.
Men do lose quicker than women, it's a fact. Don't feel like you're doing anything wrong by having big losses.

Can i ask why you're not having your syns? they are part of the plan and are there so you don't feel deprived, so take advantage of them :)

Eating syns doesn't have to mean eating crap have a few spoons of olive oil or a measures portion of nuts if you don't want the usual but your body still needs good fats as fat helps absorb very essential vitamins

Eating syns doesn't have to mean eating crap have a few spoons of olive oil or a measures portion of nuts if you don't want the usual but your body still needs good fats
Very wise words from willfitskinnyjeans. I remember many many years ago losing over 5 stone with WW. With my new confidence I took up one to one swimming lessons and the teacher couldn't believe I had lost so much as there was no hanging or stretched skin when I was in my cossie :eek: I put it down to low fat, as opposed to no fat eating. Years before that I had been in a metabolic ward at a London hospital for 6 weeks. Women there who were very obese were just given a liquid emulsion formula drink with no fat for months. They had big weight losses, but without exception still looked overweight in places due to massive rolls of skin which needed to be surgically removed. Not nice to talk or think about, but obviously due to complete withdrawal of good fats which help the elasticity of the skin.

On a more cheerful note :) you have done brilliantly. a pat on the back to both you and the other half for keeping you on track. Let us know how you get on. Love chips xx

Very wise words from willfitskinnyjeans. I remember many many years ago losing over 5 stone with WW. With my new confidence I took up one to one swimming lessons and the teacher couldn't believe I had lost so much as there was no hanging or stretched skin when I was in my cossie :eek: I put it down to low fat, as opposed to no fat eating. Years before that I had been in a metabolic ward at a London hospital for 6 weeks. Women there who were very obese were just given a liquid emulsion formula drink with no fat for months. They had big weight losses, but without exception still looked overweight in places due to massive rolls of skin which needed to be surgically removed. Not nice to talk or think about, but obviously due to complete withdrawal of good fats which help the elasticity of the skin.

On a more cheerful note :) you have done brilliantly. a pat on the back to both you and the other half for keeping you on track. Let us know how you get on. Love chips xx

I've just had my re visit for cholesterol and its fine for the bad to good ratio has got worse since being on sw so I'm swapping my hexb cereal bars for olive oil n the chocolate for nuts.

My boyfriend just eats what I cook.

In 5 weeks he has lost 1st 10lbs (24lbs) and I've lost 1st. Not fair but that's the way the low syn cookie crumbles lol.

Edit to add: he has syns and we have 2-3 days off plan some weeks at the weekend. You will slow down, enjoy it while it lasts.

Last edited:
Just to echo what others have said, it is really important to have your syns, and if you aren't having any then you aren't really following slimming world. One day you will be thankful for the syns!

I usually go over my syns but still have a steady weight loss, it is not a race, and i feel i am able to keep to this for life, where as if i wasn't allowed syns i would have given up last february! But if you are happy then good, just don't want you to give up because you made it harder on yourself xxx

Did you know that syns is short for synergy.
Do you know what synergy means?
It means ........
Synergy is the interaction of multiple elements in a system to produce an effect different from or greater than the sum of their individual effects. The term synergy comes from the Greek word synergia συνέργια from synergos, συνεργός,
meaning "working together".
[SUP]

In other words, SW is made up of 3 parts, Healthy Extras, free food and SYNS ....all these make up the plan!
Why choose to not use part of the plan and howcome it always seems to be the syns that people drop!?
I have never seen anyone decide to drop the free food, for instance.....is this just a head thing that says the syns are 'bad' for us?
They aren't. Eat them and enjoy!!

If you are concerned about losing too quick, follow the plan properly!![/SUP]

Last edited:
I think the commen misconception is that syns are for crap junk food
We see 90% of ppl on here chocolate crisps, wine, take aways etc for syns which is totally fine but some ppl want to avoid these foods but haven't realised syns is not just junk food you can use syns for extra fibre, good fats, extra calcium .

Just a misconception I think and one I can understand where it comes from.

Did you know that syns is short for synergy

I have never done Slimming World and never seen the word Syns actually written until minimins. I must confess when I heard people talking about them, I thought they were saying SINS. Having been bought up a Catholic, and done an "O" Level in Guilt :cool: I used to think it referred to when you were "naughty" and ate something fattening as a treat. Well now I know. thanks lentil :) chips xx

Back