Italian Sponge Cake page 380, Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution mmmmm

TahjmansMum

Yum, yum just made this. I whizzed up the egg whites first and then did the other mixing after so I didnt need to watch up the hand mixer in between. For a topping I mixed some Philly, small amount butter, lemon juice and a very small amount of Stevia. Just had two slices with my tea.

5 eggs separated at room temperature
8 teaspoons sweetener - used 7 and it is fine
4 teaspoons vanilla essence
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind - but you could put more in
3 tablespoons soya flour
4 tablespoons whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar

Put oven on 170 degrees less for a fan oven
grease or line one sponge tin

Place egg yolks and sweetener in bowl and whizz up. Add vanilla and lemon rind. Continue to beat and add soya flour one tablespoon at a time. Beat until well blended and then add the cream.

Beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until stiff. Fold the yolk mixture into the whites with an under and over movement. Dont go mad though. Bake for 30 mins.

Mine rose loads but then flattened a bit when it cooled unfortunately. Anyone know the secret of it not flattening?

The recipe doesnt specifically say it is a lemon cake so I expect you could swap it for orange or maybe a little cocoa? Add a few berries on top.

Carb count - total grams is 10.2 and 1.3 per serving (depending how large your slice!).

Last edited:
Thankyou for this post!
Was looking for a low carb cake recipe :)
I could (((hug))) you!

*~*TL*~* *~dreaming of long term success~* mum of 4; wife; herbalist; Height: 166cm; Started: 16 Feb 2012; S/C/G: 116kg/109.5kg/65kg

Back