Its a funny old journey!

*Emsie*

Gold Member
I've lost more weight then I thought I ever would but still feel like I've got more to lose.
Sometimes I feel like I can see the difference other times I can't!
Most of the time I feel better and like what I see more when I look in the mirror but what I find weird is when I see others who are similar weights/sizes to me I can't imagine that I look like that.
I know I don't look like others anyway I look like me and am a diferent height and proportion etc but can't help but try and get an idea as my mind isn't catching up and I suppose am still losing(touch wood) its going to take a while if I ever get there!

Just having a moment trying to work out where I want to go with it I suppose and what would be the happy weight for me. Need to stop take a breath and just look at it in the small stages that have got me that far! :confused:

I think its because people are starting to say that I cant have much more to lose, even though I am still bigger than most of them, but I am a lot smaller than I was! A couple of people implied yesterday that i was getting too thin in the face too which worried me a little :sigh:

Phewwww sorry about that not sure where it all come from just had to get it out I think!

How much have you lost?

I think its because people are starting to say that I cant have much more to lose, even though I am still bigger than most of them, but I am a lot smaller than I was! A couple of people implied yesterday that i was getting too thin in the face too which worried me a little :sigh:

I get this too, people telling me not to lose anymore or I'll disappear lol

Hiya Emsie :wavey: :hug99: well done on what you have lost so far, you should feel proud of yourself for your achievement no matter how great or small. What ever you may feel about what you see in the mirror the truth is YOU HAVE LOST WEIGHT don't forget that. Its only natural to compare yourself to others and to me that says your not where you want to be yet. It takes time for us to see ourselves. Its a rubbish analogy but....... my daughter is 12 and hasn't had a fringe since she was 2. At the beginning of July when she broke up from school she asked me if she could have a fringe.... out came the scissors! It took me over 2 weeks to stop staring at her..... its not that she looked funny or anything..... she looked gorgeous..... its just that my brain wasn't used to seeing what I was seeing....... it takes time for us to adjust to the change...... and that was 7 weeks ago and I'm only just there! That was just a fringe, just imagine how much harder it is with your whole body!

And if you think about it, comparing is perfectly normal. There are people out there like me who are still fat, (some may have started to lose weight and others may not yet have discovered the joy of SW) and you know what, I and nearly every other woman on this earth are doing exactly the same thing! I actively look around for people of a similar height so I can compare how I look to them! And I have even been known when on holiday once to go stand next to a lady so my OH could take a picture of me near her! - The thing is I'm sure she knew :eek: cos I kept following her around with the children and trying to act all cool and pose next to something but OH was being to slow and I think it even caused a row!!

And one last thing before I bore you to death :eek: I used to know this person who was 5ft 2 and much slimmer than me..... I am 5ft nothing and was about 11 and a half stone then (on my first time around losing weight) she was suppose to be my friend..... she regularly told me I didn't need to lose any more weight! I had the same thing from another so called friend as well...... now I realise that it wasn't that they were thinking about ME they were thinking about THEM! They felt threatened..... why I have no idea..... its human nature. Its totally up to you what you weigh, its got to be about what YOU feel comfortable and happy with. And if that's less than the book says or more its your choice..... and when you are comfortable with your weight that's when you'll stop comparing yourself..... you'll be happy and wont feel the need. It'll be everyone else looking at you wishing they looked like you do :)

Sorry this was sooo long hun but I hoped it helped xx

Ps I forgot to say when you lose weight it doesn't always come of evenly from every where, it comes of faster some places than others. The first time around when I lost weight I ended up thin every where apart from my bum which was still huge. I went from 15st 8 to 10st and the last 2 ish stone I was carrying around was all on my bum!

People shouldn't say things like "your face is getting to thin" the shape of your face has prob changed, its bound to! That's prob what they are actually trying to say but don't know how to. Don't worry about it hun, just remember this is about you and what you want. Don't get disheartened and swayed, you're like a butterfly just emerging from the thing it emerges from!! I'll go away now :) xx

I've lost 6 stone 4lbs so far, I have took some pics along the way, there are some on here. I've got in my head that Id like to lose about another 2 and a half stone.

Thanks Piglet for everything you shared! It didn't bore me it helped a lot and has given me lots to think about!
Loved this bit:
And if you think about it, comparing is perfectly normal. There are people out there like me who are still fat, (some may have started to lose weight and others may not yet have discovered the joy of SW) and you know what, I and nearly every other woman on this earth are doing exactly the same thing! I actively look around for people of a similar height so I can compare how I look to them! And I have even been known when on holiday once to go stand next to a lady so my OH could take a picture of me near her! - The thing is I'm sure she knew :eek: cos I kept following her around with the children and trying to act all cool and pose next to something but OH was being to slow and I think it even caused a row!!

Am glad other people feel like this too...though I havent got to the photographing stage yet!:p

Emsie

You are not alone! I am constantly having this battle, mainly because I find it very difficult to understand what I actually look like to other people. The unhelpful thing is that friends want to be so nice that all they ever say is I look fine and should stop now and worry about me going to far. If it is any consolation, the have been saying this since I was bigger than them and since I weighed about 4 more stone than I do now! I do not look gaunt or skinny or unhelathy despite carrying on. I am technically still 1.5 stone heavier than my 'ideal' weight too and am only just in the top end of 'normal' BMI, but am now pretty happy and look healthy at a comfortable BMI and 'normal' weight bracket, but to hear some people talk I am practically skeletal!!!

These people are used to the 'big' you and to them, you do look too skinny as you don't look like the 'old' Emsie anymore- they need to get over it!

On the flip side, my sister has lost 5 stone and despite still weighing 20 stone she is starting to believe the 'you look fine as you are' and 'you can't have much more to lose' comments and thinking about quitting. This would be fine if she were truly happy, but I know she isn't- she is trying to convince herself that these people are right despite the fact that deep down she knows as she can't shop in 'normal' shops and her knees are crumbling so she can't walk even short distances.

Sometimes other people mean well but actually end up confusing us even more! It is difficult to gauge what you should be aiming for, but if you want a completely honest opinion, ask your Dr or check what a 'healthy' weight is for you- this takes away all the personal comments and focusses on the most important aspect of losing weight- getting healthy and living longer

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

p.s. Piglet- Excellent post- I love the story of you stalking strangers to get your photo taken!!!!

Thanks CP! Yeah its useful to have peoples inputs sometimes but sometimes they do a lot of damage unintentionally! Like with your sister! I hope she can manage to keep losing and ignore the silly people!

And yeah I am still way above the healthy weight range and even though I might not want to be in it exactly I dont want to be this far away! Thanks again lovely :D xxx

Back