I've had a revelation!

philly_x

So I thought I would inform everyone of a great revelation I've had this week, but first i'll explain how I've come to it.

So some people might remember, with the Easter Weekend I decided to try to maintain instead of lose anything. I decided this Wednesday night and with this in mind SW basically went out the window as of Thursday after the gym.

Bad things I've had this week I can think of included 2 harvesters, eton mess, take away pizza, subway, BBQ (buns and some lamb kebabs, as well as some SW friendly chicken and prawns). As well as going out drinking twice.

Because I decided I was going to be off SW this week, instead of going back to a normal week before SW it turned into "eat anything bad you can because you wont be able to next week".

This week I've been feeling a bit sick, constantly tired, sluggish and even constipated. It has really made me realise how healthy SW is and how much better I feel when I eat healthily!

I also read something on MSN diets this week, where they were talking about sugar. They basically said that eating refined sugar (in sweets, choc, fatty foods etc makes you crave more sugar, and if you avoid it in the first place you wont crave more. I feel like this is SO true, and a pretty good explanation for why sometimes eating one bad thing can spiral out of control and result in us falling off the wagon.

After a week of eating rubbish, I put on 1.5lbs. I feel like I'm very lucky to have only put that much on! However instead of thinking right I've gotta be really good this week. I actually WANT to be good this week. This week has made me realise that eating rubbish, genuinly makes me feel rubbish. Eating well and exercising makes me feel good!

Dont get me wrong I'm sure I will still fall off the wagon from time to time as we all will, but I think i'll always feel rubbish afterwards and I've just really noticed it this week!

I'm looking forward to many weeks of feeling like I have energy, not feeling sick/bloated or sluggish now :)

I thought it would be helpful for me and for everyone else for me to share this revelation with everyone. Sorry I know it's a long read! :p

I'm with you there!!! I mean, I enjoy my naughty stuff and my occasional days off, but I feel SO much better getting back to SW :D I feel so much healthier as well as happier in myself that I'm doing something positive about my weight and my health.
Slimming World really is fantastic :D

i too feel a lot brighter and less sluggish when on sw

I agree totally. I have been reading about the South Beach diet (which is supposedly good for those with PCOS) and that works around that kind of concept about eating certain foods making you crave more and what foods to eat to keep you satisfied for longer and how your body copes with them. It is really interesting, so I am going to be incorporating it into my free food choices with Slimming World.

I agree totally. I have been reading about the South Beach diet (which is supposedly good for those with PCOS) and that works around that kind of concept about eating certain foods making you crave more and what foods to eat to keep you satisfied for longer and how your body copes with them. It is really interesting, so I am going to be incorporating it into my free food choices with Slimming World.

sounds interesting I may have to have a read! whats PCOS? x

Great thread Philly!!! I totally agree with you! I know that sometimes logic goes out of the window, especially with public hols like Chrimbo and Easter, when we tend to go overboard because that's what we're 'meant' to do!!! There's always going to be the odd occasion/holiday where we're off track a little, so it's really great to be able to look back at our experience and remember how awful/sluggish/bloated (all those things) we felt last time we overindulged and how we couldn't wait to be good to our bodies again afterwards! Perhaps that will stop us in our tracks and limit the damage a bit! I think taking on the challenge of changing our lifestyles for good with SW makes us learn a lot about ourselves and our bodies! I'm finding it very interesting, and very enjoyable for that matter!!!X

I agree 100% - I fell so much healthier since doing SW. Haven't had a bad fall off the wagon experience as of yet, but after what you have discribed i can understand why you feel so yucky.

Here's to good SW eating :D

I also read something on MSN diets this week, where they were talking about sugar. They basically said that eating refined sugar (in sweets, choc, fatty foods etc makes you crave more sugar, and if you avoid it in the first place you wont crave more. I feel like this is SO true, and a pretty good explanation for why sometimes eating one bad thing can spiral out of control and result in us falling off the wagon.

This is so true. I have noticed that if I have, for example, a teaspoon of honey on a krisproll as part of my breakfast, I spend the whole day craving sweet things. So I tend to have sweet things in the evening (if I feel like it, which I generally don't). Artificially sweet things - such as Options - don't have this effect.

On the plus side, I think the reverse is also true - the more fruit & veg you eat, the more you crave. I sometimed get a craving for salad leaves too. Yes honestly :D

Great post - so true.

Cant remember if I read or heard about how diet stuff makes you crave sugar. By diet stuff I mean things like diet coke. Your mouth tastes the sweetness, your brain prepares your body for sugar (something to do with insulin production) and then it doesnt get it so it makes you crave it if that makes sense?!!!!

I've found it so much easier this time on sw than ww points as I havent been eating all the things like snack-a-jacks, pink and whites etc so it may be a truth.

I agree totally, I had 4 days off plan over Easter and gave in to takeaways at least twice. I had a fab weekend but I don't want to eat that food again for a very long time!
The healthy dinner I cooked last night of chicken, roasted veg and cous cous was nicer than any of the meals I eat last week :)
Keep going everyone! x

I totally agree - since I first gave into the Easter cravings in what was going to be a planned sensible way I just went insane and now feel sluggish, sore and really quite low (and not just because I know I'll be disappointed with myself at weigh in today).
Regarding South Beach Diet - I have done that in past with very good success although I restricted too much and lost in an unhealthy way so I think incorporating some of the principles into SW is better. I don't think any other diet I've tried or even heard of has taught me so much, and is teaching me how to "eat like a slim, healthy person eats" as Slimming World :) x

Fab post Philly :) Just what I needed to read this week to give me a boost after a slighty disappointing WI :D x

Great post - so true.

Cant remember if I read or heard about how diet stuff makes you crave sugar. By diet stuff I mean things like diet coke. Your mouth tastes the sweetness, your brain prepares your body for sugar (something to do with insulin production) and then it doesnt get it so it makes you crave it if that makes sense?!!!!

I saw this too, I think it was on 'My Big Fat Diet Show' x

healthy and being in control is so much better. Monday I had a bad belly too much chocolate, but back on track with my healthy grazing :)

Went to a class at the gym this morning and i feel really good! I had an omlette when I got back (HEA cheese, ham, mushrooms n tomato) and im sitting with the laptop now and really craving sugar! It's probably from the sugar I ate yesterday...reading through everyones supportive messages really helps! Down with sugar!! :D xxx

Fab post Philly :) Just what I needed to read this week to give me a boost after a slighty disappointing WI :D x

I saw this too, I think it was on 'My Big Fat Diet Show' x

Ah yes - very probably. I loved that show!!!!

I loved that show 2! I'm loving supersize v superskinny now! I think I just love Anna Richardson! (and Dr Jenson - YUM!). What a great combo for a tv show :D

this really makes sense!! no wonder one peice of chocolate is never enough!! going to do an exercise dvd now to work of the bit of fudge off that i just had lol!! no its really to take my mind off it!!

Back