I've hit a brick wall :(

mini mouse

Hi, I'm a bit of a lurker... but I'm in need of some encouragement at the moment as I really feel I've hit a brick wall :(

I started SnS in February and lost over 2 stone by mid April. I was really pleased with this progress and was completely on track. I was due to have an operation (gall bladder removed) mid April and came off the plan then. The op was postponed til the end of April and I remained off plan. It has now been almost 7 weeks since the op. I have gained 4lb during this period. I've still lost 2 stone in total even with the weight gain. Whilst I know this is only a small amount and I could shift this in a week if I tried, I am really struggling to get back on board with the packs. There is lots of nice food in the house from a fathers day buffet we had. I can't stop snacking on it. I can't stop thinking about eating all of the crappy food I know I need to give up.

I'm going on holiday next week. Half of me thinks just wait until that's over til I restart and the other half says stop with the excuses... get on with it now... lose the 4 lb before I go.

I seem to have a constant battle going on in my head between the angel and devil. Which should I listen to? Gosh, do I really need to ask? Haha, I've listened to the devil too many times..... think I might just go for it..... pack no.1 here I come....

Can I just ignore the fact I already had a mini binge on left over buffet food before I started typing this??? :eek:

Really think I need someone to come round here and give me a good kick up the backside..... any volunteers :eek:

I'm in a similar situation hun, my holiday is in 40 days and although I know I can lose a good amount of weight in that time I also know that I will be putting it back on whilst on holiday so constant indecision over what to do! Last holiday holiday abroad was 3 yrs ago and I m soooo looking forward to it I cant tell you, theres not a chance in hell of me watching what I eat when there, I wont want to, I will want to enjoy every last minute! If I were in your position I would eat healthily this week, enjoy your holiday and start afresh when you get back. But thats just what I would do... only you know whats best for you and sometimes its sort of 'see how you go'! Have a great holiday whatever you decide x

How about starting by renaming your devil to your giving in muscle, and your angel to your resistance muscle - each time you listen and act on the advice of one of them, you strengthen it and weaken the other. I firmly believe that the key to weight loss lies inside the head, it's not about what you put in your mouth - that's just following through on the actions your head has instructed.

It's really up to you what you want to do, weigh up the pro's and con's of getting back on plan now, coming off for holiday, staying on plan on holiday, eating healthily before and during, just eating whatever you want to til you get back. I had a real hard time following an op, I wasn't on a plan or anything at the time but was really down - my doc said post operative depression is very common and that's what I had, perhaps your op could be making you feel a little blue too? Personally - I would have the best time I could have, but don't make it about food. Enjoy the activities or the relaxing doing nothing, make the most of it and do whatever you want to do around that with food and drink. I've just returned from 2 weeks away and did just that - only gained a pound! First holiday ever that wasn't about eating, I didn't get stressed about it, had what I fancied when I fancied and just had a thoroughly nice time. Decided I'd get back on plan when I returned, so I'd easily undo anything gained and relaxed about it all.

Go have a fabulous time, and do what you need to before that to make sure you do :)

Thanks for replying ticktock and noodles.... I appreciate the support :) Ticktock I wish I was going abroad... it's been 3 years for us since we were abroad so I know exactly where you are coming from when you say you are going to enjoy every last bit of that holiday ;) For us this time we are on a budget bargain caravan trip with our 2 little ones near blackpool.... here's hoping the weather holds out lol!

Noodles, I agree 100% that the key to weight loss is in your head. My only real obstacle to successful weight loss or weight maintenance has again and again proven to be my own head :rolleyes: You have hit on a lot of points that resonate with me... i have thought about what you said about post op depression. I have suffered with post-natal depression with each of my children. These were the darkest days of my life. I have recovered but I'm much more aware of the signs of depression following those times. I have thought about it today and have recognized a couple of signs for me.... particularly turning to food in secret, tearful, pushing people away who are concerned about me and feeling guilty about being off work following the op. I'm going to keep myself in check and I've talked my hubby... first steps to getting my head in order!

And I've felt more empowered when I have thought of my angel and devil as my resistance muscle and giving in muscle :) I'm going to keep that one going... thanks for the tip ;)

I have done some thinking today and I've decided to focus on the good.... I've lost 2 stone so far and weigh the lightest I have done in 3 years (last trip abroad lol) :D ..... I am a 3rd of my way to goal :D.... I gained only 4lb over a 8 week period of being of plan (shows if I'm left to my own devices I done always gain 4lb a week :eek:)....I am recovering well from my op and I have had a chance to spend some extra time with my kids when I've been off work :D

This week I plan to have 2-3 packs a day with some low carb meals to ease me back into the plan.... plus I need to get an order in this week too. Next week we are away Monday to Friday and I will take a few pack, have mainly food, but like you say Noodles, my focus will be on enjoying the holiday more than enjoying the food, then when I get back... its full steam ahead :)

I'm feeling much more cheery now I know what I'm doing :)

I had an oatmeal and raisin cookie for breakfast, then decided to start todat anyway, even thoughI'm off plan on saturday for a hen do! There is no time like the present. Just had my second pack :)

I had an oatmeal and raisin cookie for breakfast, then decided to start todat anyway, even thoughI'm off plan on saturday for a hen do! There is no time like the present. Just had my second pack :)

This is most definitely the kind of positive attitude that will keep us on track :D

Back