Jamaican recipes anyone?

Liz_88

Does anyone have any low syn jamaican recipes? i love my partners moms cooking but its hardly slimming world friendly lol so would love to make my own.

Why don't you find something you'd like to make & then see if you can make it SW friendly. You could post a recipe on here & we'll try & help make it SW friendly.

yeah, I love Jamaican cooking. I would imagine that the oil and fact the meat usually has all the fat/skin on is what would make it bad so you can make your own following you MiL recipes but use fry light, bake instead of fry and syn the flour?

On the topic of Jamaican food, does anyone know if Ackee is free?

Just looked and ackee is 7 1/2 syns per 100g!

Really just sub oil with fry light. .. no coconut cream.. mm maybe coconut muller?

Plenty of spices

Mmmm now I fancy ackee lol xx

There is a Jamaican rice & peas recipe on my page, follow link for index to find it!

Pete’s Jamaican Jerk Chicken, rice & peas (2013)

Serves 2

Ingredients

1 Scotch bonnet chilli (s) (sff)
1 lemon, juiced (ss) (sff)
1 Tsp. dried thyme
1 Tbsp. Jerk Chicken seasoning
2 spring onions, finely chopped (s) (sff)
2 cloves garlic, minced (sff)
3cm Ginger, grated
200mL Blue Dragon coconut milk light (8syn /2= 4 syns per person)
300g Skinless Chicken thigh fillets (s) (ff)
300g long grain rice (ff)
300ml chicken stock
400g tin of Gungo peas (ff)
Salt and pepper to taste

Method

Clean & cut the chicken, score the skin to allow the marinade to soak in, place in a glass bowl with 1 Tbsp. of Jerk chicken seasoning & the juice of a lemon, mix well with your hands, cover & place in the fridge for at least 1 hr.
Rinse beans and leave to drain.
Make up the chicken stock.
In a frying pan cook the marinated chicken for 30-40 mins until cooked.
Heat a large saucepan sprayed with Fry Light. Add the spring onion, ginger & garlic, cook, stirring, until soft. Add the rice, thyme, beans, coconut milk & stock, bring to the boil. Place the chilli on top. Simmer, covered, for 30-40 minutes or until all of the moisture has been absorbed by the rice. Remove the scotch bonnet chilli, leave to stand for 5 mins, covered. Serve with the cooked chicken.
Jamaican Jerk Chicken, rice & peas (Small).JPG

Back