January anticlimax

uklady

Oh boy ... what a strange couple of week's it has been. I reached target 2 days before Christmas at 10st 6lb (6 1/2 stones lost on TFR since July)... had a wonderful Christmas when I got engaged.... put on 11lbs on my refeed and first week of maintenance between Christmas and New Year (to be expected I suppose)... and took off 9 of the 11lbs with TFR in 4 days by Fri 6th Jan.
You would think that once I'd settled back to my target, I would eat really sensibly, watching my intake on carbs and portion sizes and treats, and drink enough water. Noooo .... I lost the plot again! :( I'm back to 11st which means the alarm bells are ringing once more. Does anyone else have this challenge? I suppose reaching my target for Christmas was a strange time to refeed and maintain, but having to make conscious decisions about what I eat and how much, it feels weird after not needing to choose what to eat for 5 months (only had to think 'shall I have chocolate or strawberry today?!')
So with December being on such a high to the anticlimax of January and struggling to make the right choices ... is anyone else in a similar place to me right now? I need a kick up the rear. I don't need to be reminded how well I did, because that somehow doesn't help! I thought I was mentally prepared to be ready for maintenance, but it seems I wasnt. The weight I really don't want to go over is 11st and whilst I know I can 'fix' it with a few days on TFR, it's not a long term solution.
Anyone with a similar challenge would make me feel much more reassured. End of moan session xx (Just feeling a touch vulnerable today,sorry)

I know you dont want to be reminded about how well you have done, but tough, a HUGE WELL DONE TO YOU. That was the easy bit though - now it comes to a lifetime challenge to stay in target - easier said than done.

First of all, you really really really need to follow the refeed to the letter to avoid over filling your glycogen levels, because as you have already found out, you can have a huge gain, which does nothing to help our mentality, you will just feel down about it.

First step - get a couple of weeks of strict refeed to clear your system out.
Second and lifetime step is planning. You really need to plan ahead for 3 healthy balanced meals a day.

Its not as easy as it sounds, most of us on here have been maintaining/gaining/losing for a few years now and its all trial and error and getting used to a new way of life.

Have a look through some of the other diaries and maybe you can get some help from there, but keep posting here as there will always be someone around to help you.

I have been up and down with my weight for over 3 years and I now want to lose another 2 stone due to over indulging through-out the year.

Good luck.

It's very hard hon ... but just like Mary said we all have to find out own way. The pattern seems to be up and down a few (or several :eek:) lbs rather than staying the same, so don't beat yourself up. It was unfortunate timing going into refeed at christmas but as mary says - it'd be a good idea to do a couple of good refeed weeks which will re-educate your palette (sp?), help you get control of your portion sizes and then take it from there :) x

Back