jars/ready made food

LucyNewMum

Silver Member
hi can anyone give me an idea of whether jars/ready made foods fit into the plan at all? i have ordered my start pack and am going to have a good look through it but i was just wondering if anyone uses jarred sauces for recipes, low fat ready meals, cereal bars, frozen meats (eg. sausages/Birdseye chicken grills) etc. not all the time of course

having little ones these types of foods can be a life saver but just wondering if they can be incorporated into the plan without using all my syns. thanks in advance x

hi can anyone give me an idea of whether jars/ready made foods fit into the plan at all? i have ordered my start pack and am going to have a good look through it but i was just wondering if anyone uses jarred sauces for recipes, low fat ready meals, cereal bars, frozen meats (eg. sausages/Birdseye chicken grills) etc. not all the time of course

having little ones these types of foods can be a life saver but just wondering if they can be incorporated into the plan without using all my syns. thanks in advance x

I have 2 smallies & do alot of rushing round, so quick meals & ready meals are a lifesaver for me. I don't tend to buy readymade shop meals but I do abit of batch cooking once a week, usually after my weigh-in when I'm feeling most motivated & spurred on & I reuse the plastic containers you get your chinese takeaway in or tupperware, I usually eat a portion, put a portion in the frige & freeze 2 portions. I know it takes abit of time but it is so worth it. I also keep a bowl of chopped fruit constantly in the fridge so I can pick on while waiting for something to cook.

I'm sure someone can tell you more about branded stuff. I'm in Ireland so don't have as much access to shopping as in the UK (no Morrissons, Asda, Co-Op, Waitrose, Iceland etc).

I have 2 small children too, I also work full time so easy, quick meals are a necessity. I don't use jarred sauces but you can syn them and between a family they don't work out too high. Having had a very brief look for you most jars are between 10-20syns. Instead I make a large batch of my own tomato based sauce. This is just passata, loads of veg and some herbs cooked up and then mixed in a food processor. I then portion it out and freeze it. It takes 20mins to make about 8 portions. It also means I know my girls are eating veg. Some sausages are low syn sainsburys be good to yourself Cumberland ones are only 1/2 syn each. Good luck with your journey. I love slimming world and the best benefit is I can eat exactly the same as the girls and they don't know mummy is dieting which was very important to me.

It can be depressing just how much rubbish is added to ready foods, even the 'healthy' ones.

I have two little ones, we eat the same sw meals most of which I make from scratch but yes sometimes we all need sonething we can just grab and warm up. My faves are
Birdseye chicken chargrills 3.5 syns each we have these with veg and mash
Batchelors pasta n sauce we like the the leak ham and cheese one and I make it up with just water (no milk or butter) it still tastes yummy and is 1.5 syns the pack. I have this with salad and the kids have a few hotdogs with there's too
Folio stir in sauce light sundried tomato I think is 6 syns for the whole pot so served between us all isn't too bad
Also the little sachets of seasoning like chilli con carne and casseroles ect are normally a few syns but split between 4 portions is ok

Also to add there's a new book comming out soon. Family feasts on a budget I had a sneak peak last night and it looks fab and lots of yummy meals I can dead the family

Thank so much guys :) most of my meals I will plan to make without syns, such as passata, herbs and veg for Bolognese sauce and only using syns for gravy on meat/potato/veg dinners. I need to have plenty of 'easy options' if I am too succeed (I'm a lazy cook haha) thanks for the tips I don't have my books yet so hopefully will get some ideas of what I can/can't use from that as well :)

Back